ppp, vtun, multilink or eql? - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp, vtun, multilink or eql? - PPP ; Hello all First let me thank u guys for what has been answered here, many times i have found answers lurking the group's archive. There i go now: I've set a VPN between France and California, using in two linux ...

  1. ppp, vtun, multilink or eql?

    Hello all
    First let me thank u guys for what has been answered here, many times i
    have found answers lurking the group's archive.
    There i go now:
    I've set a VPN between France and California, using in two linux boxes,
    vtun and ppp. a 3Mb up/15Mb down DSL line in france and a 1.5Mb t1 in
    the US. vtun+ppp's payload is almost unnoticeable, it just runs great.
    Now i have to increase the pipe's bandwidth. Not much to do on the US
    side but ask an upgrade to the ISP to a 10 or greater line.
    It's more complicated on the French side : multiple 3Mb/15Mb DSL lines
    are way less expensive (like 40x less, such dsl lines are just
    30EUR/month) than one unique fast line.
    Thus i have to find a solution to make the vpn use multiple lines.

    I googled and found :
    I could use up to 8 serial lines (here it would be my vtuned ppps) and
    then merge them using EQL. It looks like i will probably use 2 or 3 lines.
    I've also read a couple of things regarding ppp's "multilink" option.

    Are both solutions possible?
    Is there one better than the other?

    Any help Appreciated!

    --
    Tomte

    PS: i'm trying right now the EQL thing, but it happens that i have to
    bond ( a-la eth channel bonding ifenslave) ppp interfaces with the
    eql_enslave command which happens to be missing in my SuSE 9.2 boxes.
    The eql sources' url is b0rked too...

  2. Re: ppp, vtun, multilink or eql?

    It's just plain simple to use multilink with ppp in vtun : just put it
    as a ppp option in every tunnel's description in vtund conf and voilą!
    ex :

    ppptunel1 {
    passwd ;
    compress zlib:9;
    encrypt yes;
    up {
    # Connection is Up (established)
    ppp "192.168.22.155:192.168.22.208 multilink";
    };

    }

    ppptunnel2 {
    passwd ;
    compress zlib:9;
    encrypt yes;
    up {
    # Connection is Up (established)
    ppp "192.168.22.156:192.168.22.209 multilink";
    };
    }

    I launch the two vtun tunnels using two different dsl boxes,
    the second ppp vtun just merges into the first one. It runs perfectly,
    though i still have to run a proper bandwidth test to definitely
    validate it.
    It seems too that multilink ppp is more up-to-date than EQL, which i
    haven't found a non broken url to download the sources from, i wonder if
    it's deprecated...

    However, i've found a _minor_ catch in my setup :
    if there's no traffic, the ppp terminates saying :
    pppd[934]: Terminating connection due to lack of activity

    It doesn't break anything really because vtun is launched with the -p
    (persistent) flag that reconnects the tunnel after termination. I'm not
    even sure it would improve the link's stability to remove this behaviour
    as it is in some way a good "dead link" detector...

    Any clues?

    thanks in advance

    --
    Tomte

    After a long battle with technology, Mr. Wallace said:
    > Hello all
    > First let me thank u guys for what has been answered here, many times i
    > have found answers lurking the group's archive.
    > There i go now:
    > I've set a VPN between France and California, using in two linux boxes,
    > vtun and ppp. a 3Mb up/15Mb down DSL line in france and a 1.5Mb t1 in
    > the US. vtun+ppp's payload is almost unnoticeable, it just runs great.
    > Now i have to increase the pipe's bandwidth. Not much to do on the US
    > side but ask an upgrade to the ISP to a 10 or greater line.
    > It's more complicated on the French side : multiple 3Mb/15Mb DSL lines
    > are way less expensive (like 40x less, such dsl lines are just
    > 30EUR/month) than one unique fast line.
    > Thus i have to find a solution to make the vpn use multiple lines.
    >
    > I googled and found :
    > I could use up to 8 serial lines (here it would be my vtuned ppps) and
    > then merge them using EQL. It looks like i will probably use 2 or 3 lines.
    > I've also read a couple of things regarding ppp's "multilink" option.
    >
    > Are both solutions possible?
    > Is there one better than the other?
    >
    > Any help Appreciated!
    >
    > --
    > Tomte
    >

    > PS: i'm trying right now the EQL thing, but it happens that i have to
    > bond ( a-la eth channel bonding ifenslave) ppp interfaces with the
    > eql_enslave command which happens to be missing in my SuSE 9.2 boxes.
    > The eql sources' url is b0rked too...

  3. Re: ppp, vtun, multilink or eql?

    "Mr. Wallace" writes:
    > However, i've found a _minor_ catch in my setup :
    > if there's no traffic, the ppp terminates saying :
    > pppd[934]: Terminating connection due to lack of activity

    You likely have the pppd "idle" option specified somewhere in your
    configuration. If that's not what you want, then remove it.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  4. Re: ppp, vtun, multilink or eql?

    thanks!

    i'll try this out!

    After a long battle with technology, James Carlson said the following on
    29/04/05 14:10:
    > "Mr. Wallace" writes:
    >
    >>However, i've found a _minor_ catch in my setup :
    >>if there's no traffic, the ppp terminates saying :
    >>pppd[934]: Terminating connection due to lack of activity

    > You likely have the pppd "idle" option specified somewhere in your
    > configuration. If that's not what you want, then remove it.

  5. Re: ppp, vtun, multilink or eql?

    Hi!!

    I want to know if that is possible with PPP Multilink:

    Y have a pc with 2 routers in my house, DSL 2 mbps lines for example. I take 2 vpn tunnels to a host in a datacenter, one by each router. So I have 2 ways to reach that server.

    Is possible to configure ppp multlink to make a wget form kernel.org from that host (or internet putting ppp0 as default gw) at 3,5-4 mbps? I want to real aggregate that 2 links

    I try vtun+ppp with no luck... the bandwith doesn“t increase... i will try openvpn tap+pppoe+ppp-multilink...

    Thanks and sorry for my english

+ Reply to Thread