chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ??? - PPP

This is a discussion on chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ??? - PPP ; I finally upgraded my modem server from 2.4.26 to 2.6.11; I use gentoo linux. everything seems to be working except the modem chat script! I am using ppp version 2.4.2. Under kernel 2.4.26 the script runs just fine, but on ...

  1. chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ???

    I finally upgraded my modem server from 2.4.26 to 2.6.11; I use gentoo
    linux. everything seems to be working except the modem chat script! I
    am using ppp version 2.4.2. Under kernel 2.4.26 the script runs just
    fine, but on kernel 2.6.11 I send the modem init string, get the first
    'ok', send the next modem command and get nothing back. I can talk to
    the modem fine (same commands) with minicom. Any hints / thoughts /
    ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    rob.

  2. Re: chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ???

    rob wrote:
    > I finally upgraded my modem server from 2.4.26 to 2.6.11; I use gentoo
    > linux. everything seems to be working except the modem chat script! I
    > am using ppp version 2.4.2. Under kernel 2.4.26 the script runs just
    > fine, but on kernel 2.6.11 I send the modem init string, get the first
    > 'ok', send the next modem command and get nothing back. I can talk to
    > the modem fine (same commands) with minicom. Any hints / thoughts /
    > ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Does the modem require a driver module, e.g., a winmodem? If so then
    that could well be the basic cause of the problem. But it does seem
    rather bizarre that minicom can continue to successfully use AT commands
    after receiving a response to modem initialization while chat cannot.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* The generation of random numbers is too important to be left
    to chance. */

  3. Re: chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ???

    No, external rs232 modem. Strangeness continues, but somehow it is
    tied in with diald's use of chat. Diald redirects stdin/stdout to
    /dev/modem, if I put an 'echo' in the script before each subsequent
    chat commands, that command and its 'ok' will get through.
    Unfortunately this does not work with the 'atdt ###' call, presumably
    due to the complexity handling the various modem responses. I can make
    the chat's work from the command line, so it's off the hook; I can make
    the same diald scripts work on my kernel 2.6, same setup laptop, but it
    has a winmodem and no serial port.

    rob.

  4. Re: chat stops after switching linux to kernel 2.6 ???

    rob wrote:
    > No, external rs232 modem. Strangeness continues, but somehow it is
    > tied in with diald's use of chat. Diald redirects stdin/stdout to
    > /dev/modem, if I put an 'echo' in the script before each subsequent
    > chat commands, that command and its 'ok' will get through.

    Okay, I thought you were using the chat program that comes with pppd,
    not a frontend to pppd like diald. I think diald has it's own code for
    making the serial connection - and I've never used any pppd frontend.
    Based on what I think I know about diald's capabilities, a script
    using pppd 2.4.2 and the chat program can do everything diald does.

    > Unfortunately this does not work with the 'atdt ###' call, presumably
    > due to the complexity handling the various modem responses. I can make
    > the chat's work from the command line, so it's off the hook; I can make
    > the same diald scripts work on my kernel 2.6, same setup laptop, but it
    > has a winmodem and no serial port.

    I don't understand "I can make the chat's work from the command line,
    so it's off the hook." But if authentication is done within the PPP
    negotiations (no login/password), and you are willing to try the chat
    program that is a part of the pppd package, then the ppp-secrets.gz
    script found in the section "Files for download" at the web site
    in my signature should work for the external modem with very little
    modification.

    /* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 0 to 10:

+ Reply to Thread