PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem - PPP

This is a discussion on PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem - PPP ; The problem: I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result. The ...

  1. PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    The problem:

    I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get
    "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have
    tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result.

    The log:

    CONNECT
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 4
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="gprs" password=]
    rcvd [LCP CodeRej id=0x3 09 00 00 08 00 00 00 00]
    LCP: Rcvd Code-Reject for code 9, id 0
    rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 ""]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0>]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2
    ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2
    ]
    local IP address 10.16.87.125
    remote IP address 10.16.87.124
    primary DNS address 217.174.65.61
    secondary DNS address 217.174.65.62
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 165)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 165), status = 0x0
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0x0]
    rcvd [LCP CodeRej id=0x4 09 01 00 08 00 00 00 00]
    LCP: Rcvd Code-Reject for code 9, id 1
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x2 magic=0x0]
    rcvd [LCP CodeRej id=0x5 09 02 00 08 00 00 00 00]
    LCP: Rcvd Code-Reject for code 9, id 2
    No response to 3 echo-requests
    Serial link appears to be disconnected.
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 168)
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Peer not responding"]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Connection terminated.

    When I run ifconfig and ping from ip-up I get the following result:

    ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:10.14.68.19 P-t-P:10.14.68.18
    Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:576 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:54 (54.0 b) TX bytes:54 (54.0 b)

    PING www.sunet.se (192.36.125.18): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 192.36.125.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=236 time=648.8 ms

    /etc/ppp/options:

    debug
    nodetach
    defaultroute
    crtscts
    mru 576
    mtu 576
    lock
    lcp-echo-interval 5
    lcp-echo-failure 3
    /dev/ttyS2
    38400
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -S -f /etc/ppp/chat.script"
    nomagic
    asyncmap 0
    novj
    user gprs
    noipdefault
    ipcp-accept-local
    usepeerdns
    noccp

  2. Re: PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    Krister Renaud wrote:
> [...]
    > inet addr:10.14.68.19 P-t-P:10.14.68.18
    > Mask:255.255.255.255
    > UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:576 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    > RX bytes:54 (54.0 b) TX bytes:54 (54.0 b)
    >
    > PING www.sunet.se (192.36.125.18): 56 data bytes
    > 64 bytes from 192.36.125.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=236 time=648.8 ms
    >
    > ================================================== =============
    >
    > /etc/ppp/options:
    >
    > debug
    > nodetach
    > defaultroute
    > crtscts
    > mru 576
    > mtu 576
    > lock
    > lcp-echo-interval 5
    > lcp-echo-failure 3
    > /dev/ttyS2
    > 38400
    > connect "/usr/sbin/chat -S -f /etc/ppp/chat.script"

  3. Re: PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    In article <61b44f09.0504080525.63a047b9@posting.google.com>, Krister
    Renaud wrote:
    > The problem:
    >
    > I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get
    > "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have
    > tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result.

    Disconnection is the problem?

    The error message is a good hint. The other end of the PPP link, most
    likely the phone you're using, does not support lcp-echo-requests and
    -replies (for really no good reason as the serial links aren't that
    reliable).

    > lcp-echo-interval 5
    > lcp-echo-failure 3

    Setting these to zero will effectively disable echo requests and
    replies. man pppd will tell more.

    -Mikko

  4. Re: PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    Mikko Rapeli wrote:
    > In article <61b44f09.0504080525.63a047b9@posting.google.com>, Krister
    > Renaud wrote:
    >> The problem:
    >>
    >> I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get
    >> "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have
    >> tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result.

    > Disconnection is the problem?

    > The error message is a good hint. The other end of the PPP link, most
    > likely the phone you're using, does not support lcp-echo-requests and
    > -replies (for really no good reason as the serial links aren't that
    > reliable).

    It also violates RFC 1661:

    Upon reception of an Echo-Request in the LCP Opened state, an
    Echo-Reply MUST be transmitted.

    But cell-phone PPP is a different beast from normal PPP. I'm not
    a PPP implementor and don't even have a cell-phone but believe the
    following paragraph is a reasonable description of what goes on.

    The PPP link terminates in the cell-phone, which has it's own PPP
    implementation. The outgoing PPP data are forwarded over the RF link
    using a different protocol, and the process is reversed for incoming
    data from the RF link so it can be sent to the device connected to
    the cell-phone using PPP.

    >> lcp-echo-interval 5
    >> lcp-echo-failure 3

    > Setting these to zero will effectively disable echo requests and
    > replies. man pppd will tell more.

    Or simply remove them.

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

  5. Re: PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    Mikko Rapeli writes:

    >In article <61b44f09.0504080525.63a047b9@posting.google.com>, Krister
    >Renaud wrote:
    >> The problem:
    >>
    >> I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get
    >> "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have
    >> tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result.

    >Disconnection is the problem?

    >The error message is a good hint. The other end of the PPP link, most
    >likely the phone you're using, does not support lcp-echo-requests and
    >-replies (for really no good reason as the serial links aren't that
    >reliable).

    >> lcp-echo-interval 5
    >> lcp-echo-failure 3

    >Setting these to zero will effectively disable echo requests and
    >replies. man pppd will tell more.

    Agreed. There are two possibilities-- the other end is disconnected or the
    othe end does not respond to echo requests. Disable echo requests, and see
    if things work. If they do, the explanation is the second one. If they do
    not, then the first is the more likely. From the log output it looks like
    things should work.

  6. Re: PPPD via GPRS disconnection problem

    In article ,
    Bill Unruh wrote:
    >Mikko Rapeli writes:
    >
    >>In article <61b44f09.0504080525.63a047b9@posting.google.com>, Krister
    >>Renaud wrote:
    >>> The problem:
    >>>
    >>> I start pppd, the connection comes up, if-up is run. After that I get
    >>> "No response to 3 echo-requests" and the link is disconnected. I have
    >>> tried using Fedora and an XScale linux with the same result.

    >>Disconnection is the problem?

    >>The error message is a good hint. The other end of the PPP link, most
    >>likely the phone you're using, does not support lcp-echo-requests and
    >>-replies (for really no good reason as the serial links aren't that
    >>reliable).

    >>> lcp-echo-interval 5
    >>> lcp-echo-failure 3

    >>Setting these to zero will effectively disable echo requests and
    >>replies. man pppd will tell more.

    >Agreed. There are two possibilities-- the other end is disconnected or the
    >othe end does not respond to echo requests.

    It's clear from the original posting that the other end doesn't do echo
    requests:

    >> sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x2 magic=0x0]
    >> rcvd [LCP CodeRej id=0x5 09 02 00 08 00 00 00 00]
    >> LCP: Rcvd Code-Reject for code 9, id 2

    At least it did a CodeRej[ect] instead of just ignoring you. ;^)

    >Disable echo requests, and see
    >if things work. If they do, the explanation is the second one. If they do
    >not, then the first is the more likely. From the log output it looks like
    >things should work.

    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ==== I don't think infinity is as big as it seems - P.Klos, 20-Mar-2005 ====

+ Reply to Thread