SMS/MMS via GPRS - PPP

This is a discussion on SMS/MMS via GPRS - PPP ; If I have an open IP connection via GPRS, how can I send an SMS (or even MMS)? I am assuming there is an IP packet I can send to an SMS-Gateway but I cant find any information....

  1. SMS/MMS via GPRS

    If I have an open IP connection via GPRS, how can I send an SMS (or
    even MMS)?

    I am assuming there is an IP packet I can send to an SMS-Gateway but I
    cant find any information.

  2. Re: SMS/MMS via GPRS

    I don't think there are standard compliant (== works without special per
    device hacks) ways of acchieving this with SMS, but MMS might just work
    if you dig the specification details. A good place to start is
    Wikipedia and its external links section:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...ssaging_System

    Btw, SMS'es are usually send and received on the computer side with GSM
    standard AT commands. MMS'es might have similar ones.

    -Mikko

  3. Re: SMS/MMS via GPRS

    "Phil" wrote in message
    news:c9f550a7.0504080152.56e0424e@posting.google.c om...
    > If I have an open IP connection via GPRS, how can I send an SMS (or
    > even MMS)?
    >
    > I am assuming there is an IP packet I can send to an SMS-Gateway but I
    > cant find any information.

    Hi Phil,

    I'm not sure what you are trying to do but would not using AT commands be easier? See GSM
    07.07/07.05 (if memory serves correct) or do a search.

    Feel free to drop me a line if you want to discuss further (see sig).

    Clive
    --
    Clive "at" .....
    Founder/Protocol Stack Development Engineer - Blueprint Programming Ltd

  4. Re: SMS/MMS via GPRS

    "Clive" wrote in message

    > "Phil" wrote in message
    > news:c9f550a7.0504080152.56e0424e@posting.google.c om...
    >> If I have an open IP connection via GPRS, how can I send an SMS (or
    >> even MMS)?
    >>
    >> I am assuming there is an IP packet I can send to an SMS-Gateway but I
    >> cant find any information.

    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > I'm not sure what you are trying to do but would not using AT commands be easier? See GSM
    > 07.07/07.05 (if memory serves correct) or do a search.
    >
    > Feel free to drop me a line if you want to discuss further (see sig).
    >
    > Clive
    > --
    > Clive "at" .....
    > Founder/Protocol Stack Development Engineer - Blueprint Programming Ltd
    > www.blueprintprogramming.com

    If you have not done so already you may find the docs on
    http://www.openmobilealliance.org interesting for MMS.

    Clive

  5. Re: SMS/MMS via GPRS

    > Hi Phil,
    >
    > I'm not sure what you are trying to do but would not using AT commands be easier? See GSM
    > 07.07/07.05 (if memory serves correct) or do a search.
    >
    > Feel free to drop me a line if you want to discuss further (see sig).
    >
    > Clive

    I have an application which, hopefully, will have a fixed IP address
    and a GPRS connection. It will periodically FTP files to a server and
    also send the same data to MMS handsets.
    I also want to notify other portable devices that I have data
    available which will prompt them to connect it from the FTP server OR
    via a 'point-to-point' GPRS link.

    At the moment, I am considering disconnecting from GPRS, sending the
    SMS/MMS using AT commands (via GSM) and then reconnecting the GPRS.
    My application will be running on WinXP so I can stop and start my DUN
    connection as long as it isnt active at the time.

+ Reply to Thread