TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point - PPP

This is a discussion on TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point - PPP ; Does anyone know what TCP ports I can use to connect two devices via a GPRS connection ? I have both devices connected to Vodafone (UK) via GPRS. Both devices can succesfully browse the web etc. I now need to ...

  1. TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point

    Does anyone know what TCP ports I can use to connect two devices via a
    GPRS connection ?

    I have both devices connected to Vodafone (UK) via GPRS.
    Both devices can succesfully browse the web etc.

    I now need to connect them using a valid TCP socket. All port numbers I
    have tried are getting blocked. Without doing a port scan I dont know
    how to find a list of 'open' ports.

  2. Re: TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point

    google@green-pig.co.uk writes:
    > Does anyone know what TCP ports I can use to connect two devices via a
    > GPRS connection ?
    >
    > I have both devices connected to Vodafone (UK) via GPRS.
    > Both devices can succesfully browse the web etc.
    >
    > I now need to connect them using a valid TCP socket. All port numbers I
    > have tried are getting blocked. Without doing a port scan I dont know
    > how to find a list of 'open' ports.

    You'll need to ask your service provider. There's nothing inherent in
    GPRS or PPP that requires any TCP ports to be blocked.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Interop

  3. Re: TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point

    wrote in message
    news:1112864943.732088.176590@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Does anyone know what TCP ports I can use to connect two devices via a
    > GPRS connection ?
    >
    > I have both devices connected to Vodafone (UK) via GPRS.
    > Both devices can succesfully browse the web etc.
    >
    > I now need to connect them using a valid TCP socket. All port numbers I
    > have tried are getting blocked. Without doing a port scan I dont know
    > how to find a list of 'open' ports.

    What IP addresses are being assigned to your devices when you dial into the GPRS network? Are you
    sure they are not "private" IP addresses? See RFC 1918.

    --
    Clive "at" .....
    Founder/Protocol Stack Development Engineer - Blueprint Programming Ltd

  4. Re: TCP ports for GPRS point-to-point

    > What IP addresses are being assigned to your devices when you dial into the GPRS network? Are you
    > sure they are not "private" IP addresses? See RFC 1918.

    I am using Vodafone (UK) PayT in both SIM's and yes, they are private
    networks! - 10.xx.xx.xx - so I now know the problem.
    I have now contacted Vodafone regarding a Fixed address for one of the
    SIMs. I am awaiting their reply.

    Anyone know the cost (if any) for a fixed address, and whether I need
    to move to a contract SIM?
    This is currently a prototype project but will eventually go into
    production.

+ Reply to Thread