Problem killing pppd - PPP

This is a discussion on Problem killing pppd - PPP ; I have to be able to bring down a ppp connection on a remote machine via a command from my local machine. At first I could just do this on my local machine since it also has the link, but ...

  1. Problem killing pppd

    I have to be able to bring down a ppp connection on a remote machine
    via a command from my local machine. At first I could just do this on
    my local machine since it also has the link, but now I am running
    multiple ppp links from my local machine at the same time. If I was a
    better programmer/linux admin I am sure that I could figure out how to
    do it locally, but for now I am not and I need to get the remote
    machines to kill their ppp connection to free up my modem to call
    someone else. I have a script that does this, and the remote
    communications working that will make the appropriate changes that I
    need. My problem is that when I run the script automatically at
    boottime and put it into the background it doesn't work. If I start it
    from the command line it works. If I start it from the command line
    and put it in the background it works. But when I start it from a
    rc3.d link it won't work.

    Does anyone know why this would happen?

  2. Re: Problem killing pppd

    "down&dirty" writes:
    > I have to be able to bring down a ppp connection on a remote machine
    > via a command from my local machine. At first I could just do this on
    > my local machine since it also has the link, but now I am running
    > multiple ppp links from my local machine at the same time. If I was a
    > better programmer/linux admin I am sure that I could figure out how to
    > do it locally, but for now I am not and I need to get the remote
    > machines to kill their ppp connection to free up my modem to call
    > someone else. I have a script that does this, and the remote
    > communications working that will make the appropriate changes that I
    > need. My problem is that when I run the script automatically at
    > boottime and put it into the background it doesn't work. If I start it
    > from the command line it works. If I start it from the command line
    > and put it in the background it works. But when I start it from a
    > rc3.d link it won't work.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this would happen?

    No, but without seeing the scripts and more debug information, it's
    probably not possible to tell.

    Why not just use the "linkname" option in pppd, so that you can find
    the PID file and kill the right local link?

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Interop