Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER - PPP

This is a discussion on Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER - PPP ; Is there anyway to turn off the transmission of CLIENT on a Windows platform? I am working with a Solaris system that acts as the Server (today anyway), this sytem is out of my control. The Windows system is directly ...

  1. Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER

    Is there anyway to turn off the transmission of CLIENT on a Windows
    platform? I am working with a Solaris system that acts as the Server
    (today anyway), this sytem is out of my control. The Windows system is
    directly connected (cross over serial cable). When the Windows PPP
    connection starts, it transmits CLIENT - which the Solaris box won't
    respond to (obviously). Soon these systems will be reversed, so I will
    have to adjust windows to not look for the CLIENT, but one side at a
    time. I am currently working with Windows 2000

    any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER

    R Schultz wrote:
    > Is there anyway to turn off the transmission of CLIENT on a Windows
    > platform? I am working with a Solaris system that acts as the Server
    > (today anyway), this sytem is out of my control. The Windows system is
    > directly connected (cross over serial cable). When the Windows PPP
    > connection starts, it transmits CLIENT - which the Solaris box won't
    > respond to (obviously). Soon these systems will be reversed, so I will
    > have to adjust windows to not look for the CLIENT, but one side at a
    > time. I am currently working with Windows 2000

    You can't configure chat to expect CLIENT and then send CLIENTSERVER?

    /* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
    -- R. Clopton */

  3. Re: Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER

    xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"

    http://ckite.no-ip.net/
    > /* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
    > -- R. Clopton */

    The completed link will be a TCP/IP over PPP for data transfer. I need
    to get the CLIENT/SERVER transmissions out of the way, so I can began
    to establish the link.

  4. Re: Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER

    "R Schultz" writes:
    > Clifford Kite wrote:
    > > R Schultz wrote:
    > > > Is there anyway to turn off the transmission of CLIENT on a Windows
    > > > platform? I am working with a Solaris system that acts as the

    > Server
    > > > (today anyway), this sytem is out of my control. The Windows

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > You can't configure chat to expect CLIENT and then send CLIENTSERVER?

    It sounds like he can't fix the chat script on the Solaris side
    because he doesn't have access to that system. Too bad, because the
    fix there is easy.

    > The completed link will be a TCP/IP over PPP for data transfer. I need
    > to get the CLIENT/SERVER transmissions out of the way, so I can began
    > to establish the link.

    As far as I know, Windows requires all PPP links to have a modem.
    That CLIENT/CLIENTSERVER thing is the result of a dummy "modem" module
    that their design requires.

    No other implementation that I've seen requires a PPP link to have a
    modem as a matter of design, which is why that CLIENT/CLIENTSERVER
    thing is so strange. Pppd (in particular) does not assume a modem is
    present at all.

    I'm no Windows expert, though, and you're really asking a question
    about Windows rather than about PPP. You might want to try a Windows
    or Microsoft related newsgroup instead. (Or call Microsoft ...)

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  5. Re: Windows PPP and CLIENT/SERVER

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "R Schultz" writes:
    > > Clifford Kite wrote:

    Windows

    > > Server

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > > You can't configure chat to expect CLIENT and then send

    CLIENTSERVER?

    > It sounds like he can't fix the chat script on the Solaris side
    > because he doesn't have access to that system. Too bad, because the
    > fix there is easy.
    >
    > > The completed link will be a TCP/IP over PPP for data transfer. I

    need
    > > to get the CLIENT/SERVER transmissions out of the way, so I can

    began
    > > to establish the link.

    > As far as I know, Windows requires all PPP links to have a modem.
    > That CLIENT/CLIENTSERVER thing is the result of a dummy "modem"

    module
    > that their design requires.
    >
    > No other implementation that I've seen requires a PPP link to have a
    > modem as a matter of design, which is why that CLIENT/CLIENTSERVER
    > thing is so strange. Pppd (in particular) does not assume a modem is
    > present at all.
    >
    > I'm no Windows expert, though, and you're really asking a question
    > about Windows rather than about PPP. You might want to try a Windows
    > or Microsoft related newsgroup instead. (Or call Microsoft ...)
    >
    > --
    > James Carlson, IP Systems Group

    > Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive 71.234W Vox +1 781 442

    2084
    > MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757 42.497N Fax +1 781 442

    1677

    You are right but there was a reference to this problem here in an
    older discussion and I was hoping to get lucky. I hadn't posted to a
    windows group because the response I got on the microsoft site was....
    somewhat lacking.

+ Reply to Thread