How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0) - PPP

This is a discussion on How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0) - PPP ; Hi All, I need to run PPPoE over the WAN interface (/dev/hssi0). Its a high speed serial interface. Is there a way for me to specify my WAN interface to the PPPoE client in linux? I am able to run ...

  1. How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0)

    Hi All,

    I need to run PPPoE over the WAN interface (/dev/hssi0). Its a high
    speed
    serial interface. Is there a way for me to specify my WAN interface to
    the
    PPPoE client in linux?

    I am able to run PPP over the High speed serial interface. To do that,
    have written an user space application d then opens a pair of
    pseudo-terminals and runs PPP over the slave side of those ptys.. But
    in
    PPPoE should i modify the pppoe client code to send/receive packets
    over the High speed serial driver..?

    I am using the PPPoE plugin present in the pppd of linux
    Thanks
    Vanitha

  2. Re: How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0)

    vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    > I need to run PPPoE over the WAN interface (/dev/hssi0). Its a high
    > speed
    > serial interface. Is there a way for me to specify my WAN interface to
    > the
    > PPPoE client in linux?

    Does Ethernet run over that interface? I would doubt it.

    Why do you want to run PPPoE over a non-Ethernet interface? What
    exactly are you attempting to do?

    > I am able to run PPP over the High speed serial interface. To do that,
    > have written an user space application d then opens a pair of
    > pseudo-terminals and runs PPP over the slave side of those ptys..

    pppd in sync mode should work correctly on the /dev/hssi0 interface.
    Does it not work? Why is any user-space utility needed to make that
    work?

    > But
    > in
    > PPPoE should i modify the pppoe client code to send/receive packets
    > over the High speed serial driver..?

    No. PPP over HSSI uses regular synchronous HDLC-like encapsulation
    (RFC 1662). It doesn't use PPPoE at all.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0)

    James Carlson wrote in message news:...
    > vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    > > I need to run PPPoE over the WAN interface (/dev/hssi0). Its a high
    > > speed
    > > serial interface. Is there a way for me to specify my WAN interface to
    > > the
    > > PPPoE client in linux?

    > Does Ethernet run over that interface? I would doubt it.
    >
    > Why do you want to run PPPoE over a non-Ethernet interface? What
    > exactly are you attempting to do?
    >
    > > I am able to run PPP over the High speed serial interface. To do that,
    > > have written an user space application d then opens a pair of
    > > pseudo-terminals and runs PPP over the slave side of those ptys..

    > pppd in sync mode should work correctly on the /dev/hssi0 interface.
    > Does it not work? Why is any user-space utility needed to make that
    > work?
    >
    > > But
    > > in
    > > PPPoE should i modify the pppoe client code to send/receive packets
    > > over the High speed serial driver..?

    > No. PPP over HSSI uses regular synchronous HDLC-like encapsulation
    > (RFC 1662). It doesn't use PPPoE at all.

    I need to run PPPoE on the linux router that i am running on my
    Satellite terminal, since on the Satellite Hub side is set up to
    support PPPoE.

    In my satellite Terminal i have 2 Ethernet interfaces & and a High
    Speed Serial Interface which connects my Baseband hardware to the
    Modem part.

    Currently i am running PPPoE client on the PC that is connected to the
    Satellite Terminal. And we are establishing PPPoE session with the
    satelite hub. But we intend to connect more number of PC to the
    Satellite Terminal. So i want to run PPPoE in the Satellite Terminal
    itself.

    I have a open-source linux router running in my Satellite Terminal.
    Basically what i want to do is to establish a PPPoE session from the
    Satellite Termianl to the Satellite Hub.
    For that i need to forward out the PPPoE client packets to my WAN
    interface(/dev/hssi0).

    Thanks
    Vanitha

  4. Re: How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0)

    vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    > I have a open-source linux router running in my Satellite Terminal.
    > Basically what i want to do is to establish a PPPoE session from the
    > Satellite Termianl to the Satellite Hub.
    > For that i need to forward out the PPPoE client packets to my WAN
    > interface(/dev/hssi0).

    Something's still missing here, as /dev/hssi0 is a high-speed serial
    interface, not Ethernet. PPPoE (the protocol itself) doesn't and
    cannot run on anything other than Ethernet.

    What's the actual protocol used on that port? It just can't be PPPoE
    alone, because the port itself isn't Ethernet.

    Is it possible that the serial port is actually supposed to run ATM,
    with Ethernet frames encapsulated atop that, and then PPPoE on top of
    that? In that case, you're going to need some ATM/Ethernet bridging
    software.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  5. Re: How to run PPPoE over the WAN interface(/dev/hssi0)

    James Carlson wrote in message news:...
    > vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    > > I have a open-source linux router running in my Satellite Terminal.
    > > Basically what i want to do is to establish a PPPoE session from the
    > > Satellite Termianl to the Satellite Hub.
    > > For that i need to forward out the PPPoE client packets to my WAN
    > > interface(/dev/hssi0).

    > Something's still missing here, as /dev/hssi0 is a high-speed serial
    > interface, not Ethernet. PPPoE (the protocol itself) doesn't and
    > cannot run on anything other than Ethernet.
    >
    > What's the actual protocol used on that port? It just can't be PPPoE
    > alone, because the port itself isn't Ethernet.
    >
    > Is it possible that the serial port is actually supposed to run ATM,
    > with Ethernet frames encapsulated atop that, and then PPPoE on top of
    > that? In that case, you're going to need some ATM/Ethernet bridging
    > software.

    We dont run any ATM software in our terminal. Actually we intend to
    run PPP over HDLC on the /dev/hssi0 interface in our Satellite
    Terminal. But currently we dont have the satellite hub side software
    ready. so currently for our lab testing, the Satellite Hub supports
    only PPPoE connections. Right now i have a user space Bridge
    Application running on the terminal, which just puts the packets