FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem - PPP

This is a discussion on FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem - PPP ; Hi I have a problem with KPPP and a DNS resolve problem that has got me stuffed. For the last few days I have been trying to get KPPP working in Gnome , I eventually got it working good yesterday ...

  1. FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Hi

    I have a problem with KPPP and a DNS resolve problem that has got me
    stuffed.

    For the last few days I have been trying to get KPPP working in Gnome , I
    eventually got it working good yesterday and left the settings exactly as
    they were , but today when I go to connect I can't resolve any websites.

    The connection to my ISP is good , that's not the problem , it's a problem
    to do with the DNS and resolving IP addresses.

    After I make the connection and I do a route -n command it shows that I have
    been assigned a destination gateway for my ISP and allocated to ppp0 and
    when open up either Mozilla , Firefox or Konqueror , I get a blank webpage
    and the message of "resolving " in Mozilla and " Looking
    Up < my homepage URL>" in FireFox and after it times out I get a message
    "Couldn't''t resolve "

    I can't ping or do a traceroute on anything , so essentially I am
    connected , but I Just can't resolve any addresses to anything.

    But the funny thing about it is that I have connectivity with using the
    Redhat Network Device , it connects OK , but it's a bit sluggish resolving
    my first webpage which is set to my ISP , but after that , all the other
    webpages open up fairly quick.

    I don't have a firewall running and I have flushed iptables so that no
    iptables are running.

    There is no fault with my ISP because I can connect to them by using Windows
    98 and Mozilla.

    I am using a very stable hardware modem.

    I have checked all the configuration files , some of them are :
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/ppp/options
    /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

    I have gone through all the settings in the KPPP configuration tab and tried
    quite a few other combinations for the DNS Tab , Gateway Tab ..... etc and
    I have also created a complete new account and still that doesn't do any
    good.

    The help files for KPPP doesn't help either.

    So can anybody offer any suggestion as what could be the problem ?

    Thanks.

    --

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------

  2. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > I have a problem with KPPP and a DNS resolve problem that has got me
    > stuffed.

    > For the last few days I have been trying to get KPPP working in Gnome , I
    > eventually got it working good yesterday and left the settings exactly as
    > they were , but today when I go to connect I can't resolve any websites.

    Did you shutdown and reboot today? Many distributions restore original
    data to some files on reboot.

    > The connection to my ISP is good , that's not the problem , it's a problem
    > to do with the DNS and resolving IP addresses.

    Can you ping by IP address? Try "ping -c 1 216.251.47.16".

    > After I make the connection and I do a route -n command it shows that I have
    > been assigned a destination gateway for my ISP and allocated to ppp0 and
    > when open up either Mozilla , Firefox or Konqueror , I get a blank webpage
    > and the message of "resolving " in Mozilla and " Looking
    > Up < my homepage URL>" in FireFox and after it times out I get a message
    > "Couldn't''t resolve "

    > I can't ping or do a traceroute on anything , so essentially I am
    > connected , but I Just can't resolve any addresses to anything.

    Better describe what happens to make you conclude "you can't ping."

    If "ping -c 1 www.yahoo.com" hangs for a short time, then exits with
    the message

    ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com

    then nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are almost certainly incorrect.

    > But the funny thing about it is that I have connectivity with using the
    > Redhat Network Device , it connects OK , but it's a bit sluggish resolving
    > my first webpage which is set to my ISP , but after that , all the other
    > webpages open up fairly quick.

    I've no idea what "Redhat Network Device" means.

    > I don't have a firewall running and I have flushed iptables so that no
    > iptables are running.

    > There is no fault with my ISP because I can connect to them by using Windows
    > 98 and Mozilla.

    > I am using a very stable hardware modem.

    > I have checked all the configuration files , some of them are :
    > /etc/resolv.conf

    Are you sure the nameservers in resolv.conf are correct? It sounds
    very much like a DNS lookup problem.

    > /etc/ppp/options
    > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

    > I have gone through all the settings in the KPPP configuration tab and tried
    > quite a few other combinations for the DNS Tab , Gateway Tab ..... etc and
    > I have also created a complete new account and still that doesn't do any
    > good.

    > The help files for KPPP doesn't help either.

    > So can anybody offer any suggestion as what could be the problem ?

    Almost certainly DNS lookup.

  3. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:00:30 +0800
    Sandgroper wrote:

    > I can't ping or do a traceroute on anything , so essentially I am
    > connected , but I Just can't resolve any addresses to anything.

    In your /etc/ppp/options file, do you have the option line:

    usepeerdns

    Also, do show us your /etc/ppp/options. Another possibility is
    /etc/resolv.conf versus /etc/ppp/resolv.conf:

    http://archives.devshed.com/a/ng/499...solvconf-files

    In which case you might want to just make /etc/resolv.conf a symbolic
    link that points to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf so that pppd can dynamically
    update the DNS information provided by the ISP.

    Another approach is to see what pppd adds to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
    after connect, and then to manually set /etc/resolv.conf to
    these DNS servers.

    Do let us know what the problem turns out to be,

    Mike Shell

  4. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    > Sandgroper wrote:
    >
    > > I have a problem with KPPP and a DNS resolve problem that has got me
    > > stuffed.

    > > For the last few days I have been trying to get KPPP working in Gnome ,

    > > eventually got it working good yesterday and left the settings exactly

    as
    > > they were , but today when I go to connect I can't resolve any websites.

    > Did you shutdown and reboot today? Many distributions restore original
    > data to some files on reboot.

    Yes I have rebooted the system quite a few times , the funny thing is that I
    did have KPPP working good without any problems and then I shutdown for the
    night and the next day when I booted up I could connect but I had the DNS
    resolve problem.

    > > The connection to my ISP is good , that's not the problem , it's a

    problem
    > > to do with the DNS and resolving IP addresses.

    > Can you ping by IP address? Try "ping -c 1 216.251.47.16".
    >
    > > After I make the connection and I do a route -n command it shows that I

    have
    > > been assigned a destination gateway for my ISP and allocated to ppp0 and
    > > when open up either Mozilla , Firefox or Konqueror , I get a blank

    webpage
    > > and the message of "resolving " in Mozilla and "

    Looking
    > > Up < my homepage URL>" in FireFox and after it times out I get a message
    > > "Couldn't''t resolve "

    > > I can't ping or do a traceroute on anything , so essentially I am
    > > connected , but I Just can't resolve any addresses to anything.

    > Better describe what happens to make you conclude "you can't ping."

    If I do a ping or a traceroute , the cursor goes to the next line and it
    just hangs there blinking ,waiting for a response , if I hit the enter key ,
    the cursor goes to the next blank line , there is no command prompt , just a
    blinking cursor , I have to use Ctrl-C to kill the command.

    I am logged in as /root.

    > If "ping -c 1 www.yahoo.com" hangs for a short time, then exits with
    > the message
    >
    > ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com
    >
    > then nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are almost certainly incorrect.

    In my /etc/resolv.conf I have

    nameserver 203.0.178.191
    domain iinet.net.au
    search iinet.net.au

    These are the correct entries for my ISP

    > > But the funny thing about it is that I have connectivity with using the
    > > Redhat Network Device , it connects OK , but it's a bit sluggish

    resolving
    > > my first webpage which is set to my ISP , but after that , all the other
    > > webpages open up fairly quick.

    > I've no idea what "Redhat Network Device" means.

    That's the RH Network Device control it is used to configure Nic , modem
    ........etc , DNS , Hosts Default Route , as well as activating and
    deactivating the interfaces like eth0 and ppp0

    > > I don't have a firewall running and I have flushed iptables so that no
    > > iptables are running.

    > > There is no fault with my ISP because I can connect to them by using

    Windows
    > > 98 and Mozilla.

    > > I am using a very stable hardware modem.

    > > I have checked all the configuration files , some of them are :
    > > /etc/resolv.conf

    > Are you sure the nameservers in resolv.conf are correct? It sounds
    > very much like a DNS lookup problem.

    Yes , the nameservers are correct , and I reckon it is a DNS lookup problem.
    If I dial in using the Device Contol interface I can connect and web browse
    with no problem , but if I try to dial in using KPPP , the dial in operation
    is good , but I get the DNS lookup problem.

    It appears that the problem has do with one of the configuration files that
    is specific to KPPP .

    Thanks for your reply.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    >> Better describe what happens to make you conclude "you can't ping."

    > If I do a ping or a traceroute , the cursor goes to the next line
    > and it just hangs there blinking ,waiting for a response , if I hit
    > the enter key , the cursor goes to the next blank line , there is
    > no command prompt , just a blinking cursor , I have to use Ctrl-C
    > to kill the command.

    Okay, that sounds like with kppp you have a wrong default route,
    i.e., not one through the PPP interface. Check the default route
    when connected with kppp. There should only be one, similar to

    xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

    A pppd compiled from a pristine source package won't replace an
    existing default route, even with the defaultroute option. If there
    is no default through the PPP interface but there is one through
    another interface then the best solution is to remove that default
    route permanently. That's because usually there is no need for it.
    I'm sure RH has a configuration tool to do that.

    >> Are you sure the nameservers in resolv.conf are correct? It sounds
    >> very much like a DNS lookup problem.

    > Yes , the nameservers are correct , and I reckon it is a DNS
    > lookup problem. If I dial in using the Device Contol interface I
    > can connect and web browse with no problem , but if I try to dial
    > in using KPPP , the dial in operation is good , but I get the DNS
    > lookup problem.

    Right, the nameserver IP address is correct. In the case of a wrong
    default route the ping program will eventually exit, but only after
    several minutes.

    Device Control likely removes a wrong default route and, perhaps,
    resets it on termination of the PPP connection. Or it could use
    a script to set a second default route though the PPP interface.
    The most recent default route set is the active one.

    > It appears that the problem has do with one of the configuration
    > files that is specific to KPPP .

    Or to RH network configuration peculiarities.

  6. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Clifford Kite writes:
    > > If I do a ping or a traceroute , the cursor goes to the next line
    > > and it just hangs there blinking ,waiting for a response , if I hit
    > > the enter key , the cursor goes to the next blank line , there is
    > > no command prompt , just a blinking cursor , I have to use Ctrl-C
    > > to kill the command.

    > Okay, that sounds like with kppp you have a wrong default route,
    > i.e., not one through the PPP interface. Check the default route
    > when connected with kppp. There should only be one, similar to
    >
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    > xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    >
    > A pppd compiled from a pristine source package won't replace an
    > existing default route, even with the defaultroute option. If there
    > is no default through the PPP interface but there is one through
    > another interface then the best solution is to remove that default
    > route permanently. That's because usually there is no need for it.
    > I'm sure RH has a configuration tool to do that.

    That's the likely problem, but here's one other slightly wild
    possibility: unlike ping (which uses ICMP, protocol 1) or web
    connections (which use TCP, protocol 6), DNS uses UDP by default,
    which is protocol (decimal) 17. Decimal 17 happens to be CTRL-Q,
    which is usually the 'XON' character with software flow control.

    If the link is somehow misconfigured such that one of the devices in
    the path (likely a modem) is expecting software XON/XOFF flow control,
    but the others are not, and the link negotiates no escaping (the
    default for pppd), this character will get eaten and the corrupted
    packets dropped, leading to apparent DNS failures, though everything
    else seems to "sort of" work.

    To find out if this is the problem, try putting this in your pppd
    configuration:

    default-asyncmap

    *or* this:

    asyncmap 0xa0000

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  7. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    "Michael Shell" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:00:30 +0800
    > Sandgroper wrote:
    >

    > > I can't ping or do a traceroute on anything , so essentially I am
    > > connected , but I Just can't resolve any addresses to anything.

    > In your /etc/ppp/options file, do you have the option line:
    >

    > usepeerdns

    Essentially I have no entries in my /etc/ppp/options file , the only thing
    that was put in there at one stage was
    lock
    I will add usepeerdns into to the file to see how it goes.

    > Also, do show us your /etc/ppp/options. Another possibility is
    > /etc/resolv.conf versus /etc/ppp/resolv.conf:

    I have checked this file and it is exactly the same as /etc/resolve , the
    contents of the both files have

    nameserver 203.0.178.191
    domain iinet.net.au
    search iinet.net.au

    These are the correct entries for my ISP , I have also tried to delete the
    domain but that's still no good , and everytime I re-set the settings in
    KPPP , it inserts the domain back into the file again.

    > http://archives.devshed.com/a/ng/499...solvconf-files

    I tried the link , doesn't work ( I tried it using windows 98 and Mozilla )
    Do you have an alternate link ? , or could you just quickly tell me why
    there are two resolv.conf files.

    > In which case you might want to just make /etc/resolv.conf a symbolic
    > link that points to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf so that pppd can dynamically
    > update the DNS information provided by the ISP.
    >
    > Another approach is to see what pppd adds to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
    > after connect, and then to manually set /etc/resolv.conf to
    > these DNS servers.

    I will try that , see what gets set in /etc/ppp/resolve.conf after a
    connection , I didn't know that this file is dynamic.
    I will also make a symbolic link between the 2 files to see how it goes.

    Thanks for your reply.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  8. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Some silly bugger by the name of Sandgroper scribbled in comp.protocols.ppp
    <4225cf00$0$19787$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au> :

    http://archives.devshed.com/a/ng/499...solvconf-files

    > I tried the link , doesn't work ( I tried it using windows 98 and Mozilla
    > ) Do you have an alternate link ? , or could you just quickly tell me why
    > there are two resolv.conf files.

    This link now works when I try to access it in Widows 98 and Mozilla , must
    HAVE been a problem with my ISP

    --

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  9. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    > Sandgroper wrote:
    >
    > > If I do a ping or a traceroute , the cursor goes to the next line
    > > and it just hangs there blinking ,waiting for a response , if I hit
    > > the enter key , the cursor goes to the next blank line , there is
    > > no command prompt , just a blinking cursor , I have to use Ctrl-C
    > > to kill the command.

    > Okay, that sounds like with kppp you have a wrong default route,
    > i.e., not one through the PPP interface. Check the default route
    > when connected with kppp. There should only be one, similar to
    >
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    > xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

    This is what my route looks like

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    0 eth0

    192.168.0.1 is the address of my machine for my lan setup.
    203.59.14.16 is the address of my ISP connection
    169.254.0.0 I have no idea what that is , and I can't remove it.

    I have only one eth0 and one ppp0 interface.
    This table is the same for using either KPPP or Network Device Control

    > A pppd compiled from a pristine source package won't replace an
    > existing default route, even with the defaultroute option. If there
    > is no default through the PPP interface but there is one through
    > another interface then the best solution is to remove that default
    > route permanently. That's because usually there is no need for it.
    > I'm sure RH has a configuration tool to do that.

    > >> Are you sure the nameservers in resolv.conf are correct? It sounds
    > >> very much like a DNS lookup problem.

    > > Yes , the nameservers are correct , and I reckon it is a DNS
    > > lookup problem. If I dial in using the Device Contol interface I
    > > can connect and web browse with no problem , but if I try to dial
    > > in using KPPP , the dial in operation is good , but I get the DNS
    > > lookup problem.

    > Right, the nameserver IP address is correct. In the case of a wrong
    > default route the ping program will eventually exit, but only after
    > several minutes.
    >
    > Device Control likely removes a wrong default route and, perhaps,
    > resets it on termination of the PPP connection. Or it could use
    > a script to set a second default route though the PPP interface.
    > The most recent default route set is the active one.

    I have done all the other things that you ,James Carlson and Michael Snell
    have suggested.

    1) I had etc/resolve.conf but no /etc/ppp/resolv.config , so I created the
    symbolic link.

    2) Added usepeerdns to /etc/ppp/options

    3) Removed the modem configuration in Device Control , but left the hardware
    ppp0 entry , rebooted the system , connected to my ISP using KPPP , and
    still the same , couldn't resolve any web pages.

    I have selinux disabled , could there be a rouge entry in one of the selinux
    files ?

    What about a lock file in /var/lock ?

    Would it be better to remove entirely the ppp0 entry , ISP accounts in both
    KPPP and Device Control , reboot the system and then re-install the modem
    using just KPPP ?

    Do you have any other suggestions ?

    Thanks.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  10. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    >> Sandgroper wrote:
    >>
    >> > If I do a ping or a traceroute , the cursor goes to the next line
    >> > and it just hangs there blinking ,waiting for a response , if I hit
    >> > the enter key , the cursor goes to the next blank line , there is
    >> > no command prompt , just a blinking cursor , I have to use Ctrl-C
    >> > to kill the command.

    >> Okay, that sounds like with kppp you have a wrong default route,
    >> i.e., not one through the PPP interface. Check the default route
    >> when connected with kppp. There should only be one, similar to
    >>
    >> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    >> xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

    > This is what my route looks like

    > Kernel IP routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    > Iface
    > 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    > 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    > 0 eth0

    There's a host route through the PPP interface ppp0, but no default
    route through it. The last line above shows a default route through
    eth0, so pppd didn't set a default route for PPP. Reread the line
    below underscored with "^"s.

    > 192.168.0.1 is the address of my machine for my lan setup.
    > 203.59.14.16 is the address of my ISP connection
    > 169.254.0.0 I have no idea what that is , and I can't remove it.

    I doubt that you cannot remove it - I don't know why RH does this,
    it's usually associated with Microsoft. RFC 3330 explains it.
    You can find that RFC at

    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html

    > I have only one eth0 and one ppp0 interface.
    > This table is the same for using either KPPP or Network Device Control

    >> A pppd compiled from a pristine source package won't replace an
    >> existing default route, even with the defaultroute option. If there
    >> is no default through the PPP interface but there is one through
    >> another interface then the best solution is to remove that default
    >> route permanently. That's because usually there is no need for it.
    >> I'm sure RH has a configuration tool to do that.

    > I have done all the other things that you ,James Carlson and Michael Snell
    > have suggested.

    > 1) I had etc/resolve.conf but no /etc/ppp/resolv.config , so I created the
    > symbolic link.

    > 2) Added usepeerdns to /etc/ppp/options

    > 3) Removed the modem configuration in Device Control , but left the hardware
    > ppp0 entry , rebooted the system , connected to my ISP using KPPP , and
    > still the same , couldn't resolve any web pages.

    > I have selinux disabled , could there be a rouge entry in one of the selinux
    > files ?

    Dunno what selinux is but it doesn't matter, the problem is the existing
    default route.

    > What about a lock file in /var/lock ?

    It's absence or presence isn't relevant to the problem.

    > Would it be better to remove entirely the ppp0 entry , ISP accounts in both
    > KPPP and Device Control , reboot the system and then re-install the modem
    > using just KPPP ?

    No, you're thinking in Microsoft terms. Rebooting a system in *nix is
    very seldom needed.

    > Do you have any other suggestions ?

    Try not to think about a *nix OS in the way you must with an MS OS.

  11. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    0
    > > eth0
    > > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    > > 0 eth0

    > There's a host route through the PPP interface ppp0, but no default
    > route through it. The last line above shows a default route through
    > eth0, so pppd didn't set a default route for PPP. Reread the line
    > below underscored with "^"s.

    After my last post I went through everything again and found 2 problems ,
    the one you have mentioned and the other one is that in Network
    Configuration -> DNS Tab , one of the text boxes is named : Search Route and
    I had place my ISPs name in it.
    I removed it and the ppp0 interface and the first initial web page seems to
    be resolved faster and things seem to work quicker.

    After that I actually did get both KPPP and the ppp0 interface working , but
    that didn't last long and after the shutdown of KPPP and starting it again I
    had the same problem again.

    As with the routes , I did a comparison between the 2 connections and this
    is what showed up
    ---------------------------------
    ppp0 interface connection ( the working one )

    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    0.0.0.0 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
    ppp0

    ---------------------------------------
    KPPP conection ( not working )

    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    0 eth0
    --------------------------------------

    The KPPP connection shows that it doesn't have the second entry for ppp0
    which is the default gateway to my ISP.

    > > 169.254.0.0 I have no idea what that is , and I can't remove it.

    > I doubt that you cannot remove it - I don't know why RH does this,
    > it's usually associated with Microsoft. RFC 3330 explains it.
    > You can find that RFC at
    >
    > http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html

    I will have a look at it , thanks.

    > >> A pppd compiled from a pristine source package won't replace an
    > >> existing default route, even with the defaultroute option. If there
    > >> is no default through the PPP interface but there is one through
    > >> another interface then the best solution is to remove that default
    > >> route permanently. That's because usually there is no need for it.
    > >> I'm sure RH has a configuration tool to do that.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    I will see what I can do to remove the extra interface.

    Thanks very much for all your help , hopefully I will be able to get KPPP up
    and running without any problems.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  12. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Clifford Kite wrote:
    > Sandgroper wrote:

    >> "Clifford Kite" wrote in message

    >>> Okay, that sounds like with kppp you have a wrong default route,
    >>> i.e., not one through the PPP interface. Check the default route
    >>> when connected with kppp. There should only be one, similar to
    >>>
    >>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    >>> xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

    Agrrrrh! My bad, I pasted the wrong route. That should have been

    0.0.0.0 xxx.90.131.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

    My sincere apologies.

    /* On Linux be root, on Windows reboot.
    -Josef Müllers */

  13. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > After my last post I went through everything again and found 2 problems ,
    > the one you have mentioned and the other one is that in Network
    > Configuration -> DNS Tab , one of the text boxes is named : Search Route and
    > I had place my ISPs name in it.
    > I removed it and the ppp0 interface and the first initial web page seems to
    > be resolved faster and things seem to work quicker.

    > After that I actually did get both KPPP and the ppp0 interface working , but
    > that didn't last long and after the shutdown of KPPP and starting it again I
    > had the same problem again.

    > As with the routes , I did a comparison between the 2 connections and this
    > is what showed up
    > ---------------------------------
    > ppp0 interface connection ( the working one )

    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    > Iface
    > 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    > 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 0.0.0.0 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
    > ppp0

    > ---------------------------------------
    > KPPP conection ( not working )

    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    > Iface
    > 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    > 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
    > eth0
    > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    > 0 eth0
    > --------------------------------------

    > The KPPP connection shows that it doesn't have the second entry for ppp0
    > which is the default gateway to my ISP.

    Weird. It appears that kppp is wired to use RH's configuration files
    to reset the original routing.

    When you reconfigure the network and get rid of the eth0 default route
    then I strongly suspect kppp will work with no problem.

    /* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

  14. Re: FC 3 : KPPP Resolve Problem - Fixed Problem

    ,

    0

    0

    0
    > > eth0
    > > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    > > 0 eth0
    > > --------------------------------------

    > > The KPPP connection shows that it doesn't have the second entry for ppp0
    > > which is the default gateway to my ISP.

    > Weird. It appears that kppp is wired to use RH's configuration files
    > to reset the original routing.
    >
    > When you reconfigure the network and get rid of the eth0 default route
    > then I strongly suspect kppp will work with no problem.

    I took your advice and used the Network Configuration tool and deleted both
    the eth0 and ppp0 entries , re-configured KPPP , dialed in and got connected
    without any problems.

    Using route -n showed that I have both the ppp0 entries with the ppp0
    gateway set to my ISP address.
    Like this :
    203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    0.0.0.0 203.59.14.16 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
    ppp0

    After I got KPPP working , I then installed eth0 using the Network
    Configuration tool.

    What I did notice that before , when I had configured eth0 , in the Ethernet
    Device properties --> Default Gateway box , I had set the Default Gateway to
    my machine IP address , I think that this could have been my problem all
    along.

    I now have KPPP running good , and I only have one entry in the Network
    Configuration which is for eth0.

    I have also have set up KPPP so that a user can dial out without being
    prompted for the /root password.
    The KPPP handbook that has the paragraph on how to do this has left out half
    of the steps to do it , it only says to create a group dialout ,add the
    users to it and then :

    chown root.dialout /opt/kde/bin/kppp
    chmod 4750 /opt/kde/bin/kppp

    After doing a google search , I came up with a solution which must be the
    rest of what the KPPP handbook had left out.

    What the howto says is :

    1) In /usr/bin
    Remove the sym link - kppp --> /usr/bin/consolehelper
    Create new symlink - kppp --> /usr/bin/kppp

    2) Create new group
    dialout , add any users

    3) cd /usr/sbin
    chown root:dialout kppp
    chmod 4750 kppp

    4) copy the /root kppprc file to users directory and change ownership

    cp /root/.kde/share/config/kppprc
    /home//.kde/share/config/kppprc
    chown : /home//.kde/share/config/kppprc

    After doing these 4 steps , any user listed in the group "dialout" can start
    KPPP without being prompted for the /root password.

    Anyway , thanks for all your help , I would have been still scratching my
    head about how to get KPPP working properly.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au