Cisco with pppd to use mlppp - PPP

This is a discussion on Cisco with pppd to use mlppp - PPP ; Hi, I want use a Cisco router with a mlppp connexion on my linux. On the Cisco web site IOS support RFC 1717 MLPPP ( http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...lit/523_pp.htm ) But I cant find information about implememtation of RFC for the daemon pppd. ...

  1. Cisco with pppd to use mlppp

    Hi,

    I want use a Cisco router with a mlppp connexion on my linux.

    On the Cisco web site IOS support RFC 1717 MLPPP
    (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...lit/523_pp.htm)
    But I cant find information about implememtation of RFC for the daemon
    pppd.

    My questions are :

    mlppp implementation of pppd is based on RFC 1717 or RFC 1990 ?
    The mlppp of pppd is compatible with the mlppp implementation IOS Cisco
    ?

  2. Re: Cisco with pppd to use mlppp

    joris.quenee@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr writes:
    > I want use a Cisco router with a mlppp connexion on my linux.
    >
    > On the Cisco web site IOS support RFC 1717 MLPPP
    > (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...lit/523_pp.htm)
    > But I cant find information about implememtation of RFC for the daemon
    > pppd.
    >
    > My questions are :
    >
    > mlppp implementation of pppd is based on RFC 1717 or RFC 1990 ?
    > The mlppp of pppd is compatible with the mlppp implementation IOS Cisco
    > ?

    Are you _sure_ it matters to you? The only change between the two was
    a clarification of a corner case -- RFC 1717 allowed the use of the
    short sequence number option alone to signal use of MP, but 1990
    restricted it to just MRRU.

    pppd is based on RFC 1990, for what it's worth. Interoperability,
    though, cannot actually be determined (positively or negatively) by
    doing comparisons on RFC numbers.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: Cisco with pppd to use mlppp