unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute - PPP

This is a discussion on unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute - PPP ; I am using ppp-2.4.2 and the man pages says, replacedefaultroute is a valid option. My options file contains the following: .... defaultroute replacedefaultroute .... Nevertheless I see in myl logfile: /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option 'replacedefaultroute' Is the manpage outdated or am ...

  1. unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    I am using ppp-2.4.2 and the man pages says, replacedefaultroute is a
    valid option.

    My options file contains the following:
    defaultroute
    replacedefaultroute

    Nevertheless I see in myl logfile:
    /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option 'replacedefaultroute'

    Is the manpage outdated or am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks
    Norbert Wegener

  2. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    Norbert Wegener writes:
    > I am using ppp-2.4.2 and the man pages says, replacedefaultroute is a
    > valid option.

    It's not in either the current ppp-2.4.2 man page, nor in the CVS
    source code.

    Where'd you get that man page?

    > Nevertheless I see in myl logfile:
    > /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option 'replacedefaultroute'

    I'm one of several maintainers of the ppp-2.4 code, and I can say I've
    never heard of the option.

    Is it possible that you acquired your software and/or man pages from
    someone who has modified them?

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    Norbert Wegener wrote:
    > I am using ppp-2.4.2 and the man pages says, replacedefaultroute is a
    > valid option.

    > My options file contains the following:
    > defaultroute
    > replacedefaultroute

    > Nevertheless I see in myl logfile:
    > /etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option 'replacedefaultroute'

    > Is the manpage outdated or am I doing something wrong?

    There is no replacedefaultroute in any standard pppd source package
    to date. But some Linux distributors modify source packages beyond
    bug fixes, and I believe at least one has modified either pppd (or
    the kppp frontend to pppd) and added that option.

  4. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Norbert Wegener writes:
    >
    >>I am using ppp-2.4.2 and the man pages says, replacedefaultroute is a
    >>valid option.

    > It's not in either the current ppp-2.4.2 man page, nor in the CVS
    > source code.
    >
    > Where'd you get that man page?
    >

    >>Nevertheless I see in myl logfile:
    >>/etc/ppp/options: unrecognized option 'replacedefaultroute'

    > I'm one of several maintainers of the ppp-2.4 code, and I can say I've
    > never heard of the option.
    >
    > Is it possible that you acquired your software and/or man pages from
    > someone who has modified them?

    The pppd comes with Suse9.2. That option worked on older version of
    Suse's pppd and for me it is usefull. I thought it to be a standard.
    From the manpage:
    replacedefaultroute
    This option is a flag to the defaultroute option. If
    defaultroute is set and this flag is also set, pppd replaces an existing
    default
    route with the new default route.
    Chances, that this option makes it in the mainstream?

  5. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    Norbert Wegener writes:
    > > I'm one of several maintainers of the ppp-2.4 code, and I can say
    > > I've
    > > never heard of the option.
    > > Is it possible that you acquired your software and/or man pages from
    > > someone who has modified them?

    > The pppd comes with Suse9.2. That option worked on older version of
    > Suse's pppd and for me it is usefull. I thought it to be a standard.

    That explains it. I believe that some of the SuSE distributions have
    made other changes to pppd, and that none of those changes are in the
    mainstream product. (Some that I've heard of actually add bugs, such
    as the mysterious CBCP server-side support.)

    > From the manpage:
    > replacedefaultroute
    > This option is a flag to the defaultroute option. If
    > defaultroute is set and this flag is also set, pppd replaces an
    > existing default
    > route with the new default route.
    > Chances, that this option makes it in the mainstream?

    As long as some vendors insist on modifying the code before handing
    off to their customers, and those vendors don't let the original
    maintainers know about their changes, I think the chances of those
    added options making it into the mainstream are pretty close to zero.

    You should contact your vendor for updates.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  6. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    I have contacted Suse, told them, that the developers are not amused and
    asked them to provide the patches.
    Let's see, whether they react.
    Norbert Wegener

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Norbert Wegener writes:
    >
    >>>I'm one of several maintainers of the ppp-2.4 code, and I can say
    >>>I've
    >>>never heard of the option.
    >>>Is it possible that you acquired your software and/or man pages from
    >>>someone who has modified them?

    >>The pppd comes with Suse9.2. That option worked on older version of
    >>Suse's pppd and for me it is usefull. I thought it to be a standard.

    > That explains it. I believe that some of the SuSE distributions have
    > made other changes to pppd, and that none of those changes are in the
    > mainstream product. (Some that I've heard of actually add bugs, such
    > as the mysterious CBCP server-side support.)
    >

    >> From the manpage:
    >> replacedefaultroute
    >> This option is a flag to the defaultroute option. If
    >>defaultroute is set and this flag is also set, pppd replaces an
    >>existing default
    >> route with the new default route.
    >>Chances, that this option makes it in the mainstream?

    > As long as some vendors insist on modifying the code before handing
    > off to their customers, and those vendors don't let the original
    > maintainers know about their changes, I think the chances of those
    > added options making it into the mainstream are pretty close to zero.
    >
    > You should contact your vendor for updates.

  7. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    Norbert Wegener writes:
    > I have contacted Suse, told them, that the developers are not amused
    > and asked them to provide the patches.
    > Let's see, whether they react.

    I wouldn't put it that way. It's open source software and, as long as
    they don't misrepresent what they have, they're free to tweak it any
    way they want -- even if that leaves their user base confused or
    broken.

    So, I wouldn't say that I'm unamused. I would say, though, that if
    it's a generally useful feature, then it'd be really quite handy to
    have *both* the patches *and* the design rationale behind making the
    change fed back to the maintainers of the original source.

    But if they'd like to live off on a fork of the original source, I'll
    certainly not argue with them about it.

    (Feeding back patches alone -- for any project, open source or not --
    is often a poor way to deal with the problem. Some hint about why the
    change is right and how it is intended to be used ought to accompany
    any such contribution.)

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  8. Re: unrecognizecd option replacedefaultroute

    james.d.carlson@sun.com wrote:

    >As long as some vendors insist on modifying the code before handing
    >off to their customers, and those vendors don't let the original
    >maintainers know about their changes, I think the chances of those
    >added options making it into the mainstream are pretty close to zero.

    Paulus does know about it, but when I sent him the patch he rejected it
    requesting some cosmetic changes which I have not found yet the time to
    do.

    (I'm the Debian ppp maintainer, who took the patch from the SuSE
    package.)

    --
    ciao, |
    Marco | * The Internet is full. Go away. -- Joel Furr *

+ Reply to Thread