Solaris8 as PPP client - PPP

This is a discussion on Solaris8 as PPP client - PPP ; I am trying to get a Solaris 8 platform to connect to a linux PPP server but keep getting LCP Config Request Timed out. Is there something special about the way SUN does their PPP configuration? Basically I see the ...

  1. Solaris8 as PPP client

    I am trying to get a Solaris 8 platform to connect to a linux PPP server but
    keep getting LCP Config Request Timed out. Is there something special about
    the way SUN does their PPP configuration? Basically I see the conversation
    between the 2 machines but they just won't connect. If I use another linux
    machine as the host with the same /etc/ppp/* files it connects without
    issue. I have turned debugs up in the options file for kdebug 7 but not
    really telling me a whole lot. Any gotchas I should know about?

  2. Re: Solaris8 as PPP client

    "news.mot.com" writes:
    > I am trying to get a Solaris 8 platform to connect to a linux PPP server but
    > keep getting LCP Config Request Timed out. Is there something special about
    > the way SUN does their PPP configuration?

    No.

    Having the link fail due to excessive LCP Configure-Request messages
    means that either the underlying serial link itself is broken (unable
    to pass data) or that the peer isn't running PPP.

    > Basically I see the conversation
    > between the 2 machines but they just won't connect. If I use another linux
    > machine as the host with the same /etc/ppp/* files it connects without
    > issue. I have turned debugs up in the options file for kdebug 7 but not
    > really telling me a whole lot. Any gotchas I should know about?

    Don't use 'kdebug' unless you're modifying the kernel and need to see
    the internal details of how it works. 'kdebug' output is almost never
    useful for debugging PPP links.

    Use 'debug' and post the logs somewhere. If you're using a chat
    script, the most likely cause is a problem in the chat script.
    (Failures of LCP to negotiate are almost never caused by anything in
    PPP configuration, but rather are caused by basic communications
    failures.)

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group