PPP vs ETHERNET - PPP

This is a discussion on PPP vs ETHERNET - PPP ; Hi All, I have a very basic question. Why is PPP needed in the first place when we can use ethernet to connect 2 n/w devices (point to point)? How does one decide that PPP is best suited for a ...

  1. PPP vs ETHERNET

    Hi All,

    I have a very basic question.

    Why is PPP needed in the first place when we can use ethernet to connect
    2 n/w devices (point to point)? How does one decide that PPP is best suited
    for a n/w?

    Please explain.

    Regards,
    ASM

  2. Re: PPP vs ETHERNET

    arut@post.com (asm) writes:
    > Why is PPP needed in the first place when we can use ethernet to connect
    > 2 n/w devices (point to point)? How does one decide that PPP is best suited
    > for a n/w?

    Ethernet is a rather specific technology with important features --
    and limitations. For one thing, it doesn't operate on a wide variety
    of media, including async serial ports (often used with dial-up
    modems) and synchronous telecom services (sw56, X.25, Frame Relay,
    SONET/SDH).

    Ethernet relies on a particular set of coding systems that allow
    special coding violations to mark frame boundaries. It also defines
    everything from top (network layer interfaces) to bottom (physical
    interconnects).

    I suppose that on synchronous links only (not async), it would be at
    least possible to use 100BASE-TX 4B/5B or 1000BASE-X 8B/10B encodings
    to make an "Ethernet-like" serial implementation. The result would be
    less efficient than HDLC, and since nothing implements it and no
    relevant standards exist, deploying would be difficult.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group