LCP negotiation failure... HELP - PPP

This is a discussion on LCP negotiation failure... HELP - PPP ; Hi, I'm having problems setting up a PPP connection from Linux (Fedora Core 2 - kernel 2.6.7) to my ISP. Can someone help me discover what's happening??? My modem is a softmodem (ICH4/AC97 - Smart Link modem slmodem-2.9.9) and works ...

  1. LCP negotiation failure... HELP

    Hi,

    I'm having problems setting up a PPP connection from Linux (Fedora
    Core 2 - kernel 2.6.7) to my ISP. Can someone help me discover what's
    happening???
    My modem is a softmodem (ICH4/AC97 - Smart Link modem slmodem-2.9.9)
    and works fine on Linux/WinXP.
    I started the connection using MINICOM and everything goes fine until
    the LCP negotiation... Following are the PPP logs. It seems to be a
    silly mistake here, but I'm unable to find it...:-(
    I tried the following with no good results, besides the effects of the
    requested options: "noauth", "novjcomp", "novj", "noccp", "asyncmap
    000a0000" and "defaultroute".

    [root@laptop root]# /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttySL0 460800 debug
    crtscts lock;
    using channel 16
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySL0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 0xf5c793d3> ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 0xf5c793d3> ]
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRef id=0x1 80 fd 01 01 00 0c 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00]
    Connection terminated

    I'm going desperate with this... Please HELP...

    Kind Regards,

    Juvenal A. Silva Jr.

  2. Re: LCP negotiation failure... HELP

    Juvenal A. Silva Jr. wrote:

    > I'm having problems setting up a PPP connection from Linux (Fedora
    > Core 2 - kernel 2.6.7) to my ISP. Can someone help me discover what's
    > happening???
    > My modem is a softmodem (ICH4/AC97 - Smart Link modem slmodem-2.9.9)
    > and works fine on Linux/WinXP.

    "Softmodem": not a good sign.

    > I started the connection using MINICOM and everything goes fine until
    > the LCP negotiation... Following are the PPP logs. It seems to be a
    > silly mistake here, but I'm unable to find it...:-(

    Using minicom is really not a good way to start a PPP connection.

    > I tried the following with no good results, besides the effects of the
    > requested options: "noauth", "novjcomp", "novj", "noccp", "asyncmap
    > 000a0000" and "defaultroute".

    > [root@laptop root]# /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttySL0 460800 debug
    > crtscts lock;
    > using channel 16
    > Using interface ppp0
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySL0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 > 0xf5c793d3> ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 > 0xf5c793d3> ]

    Up to this point pppd is talking to itself. Note that the magic numbers
    in the requests and the replies are the same.

    > sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    > LCP terminated by peer

    The peer terminates PPP negotiation here. That could be simply because
    it never received any of pppd's LCP requests.

    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    > rcvd [LCP ProtRef id=0x1 80 fd 01 01 00 0c 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00]
    > Connection terminated

    > I'm going desperate with this... Please HELP...

    Try

    http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    Not guaranteed to help since you aren't using a real modem.

    /* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
    * -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

  3. Re: LCP negotiation failure... HELP

    In article <6ovuhc.883.ln@corncob.localhost.tld>,
    Clifford Kite wrote:
    >Juvenal A. Silva Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having problems setting up a PPP connection from Linux (Fedora
    >> Core 2 - kernel 2.6.7) to my ISP. Can someone help me discover what's
    >> happening???
    >> My modem is a softmodem (ICH4/AC97 - Smart Link modem slmodem-2.9.9)
    >> and works fine on Linux/WinXP.

    >"Softmodem": not a good sign.
    >
    >> I started the connection using MINICOM and everything goes fine until
    >> the LCP negotiation... Following are the PPP logs. It seems to be a
    >> silly mistake here, but I'm unable to find it...:-(

    >Using minicom is really not a good way to start a PPP connection.
    >
    >> I tried the following with no good results, besides the effects of the
    >> requested options: "noauth", "novjcomp", "novj", "noccp", "asyncmap
    >> 000a0000" and "defaultroute".

    >> [root@laptop root]# /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttySL0 460800 debug
    >> crtscts lock;
    >> using channel 16
    >> Using interface ppp0
    >> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySL0
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >> ]
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    >> ]
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 >> 0xf5c793d3> ]
    >> sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 >> 0xf5c793d3> ]

    >Up to this point pppd is talking to itself. Note that the magic numbers
    >in the requests and the replies are the same.

    No, they're not. The local machine is using 0x729c136f, and the peer is
    using 0xf5c793d3. I'm sure you just overlooked that.

    >> sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >> sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >> rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    >> LCP terminated by peer

    >The peer terminates PPP negotiation here. That could be simply because
    >it never received any of pppd's LCP requests.

    The peer probably doesn't like CCP and indicates so with a disconnect. Rude,
    but effective. Why don't you configure your side so CCP is disabled and maybe
    your peer will continue the connection from there?

    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ==================== What goes around, comes around... =====================

  4. Re: LCP negotiation failure... HELP

    patrick@klos.com wrote:
    > In article <6ovuhc.883.ln@corncob.localhost.tld>,
    > Clifford Kite wrote:
    >>Juvenal A. Silva Jr. wrote:

    >>> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttySL0
    >>> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >>> ]
    >>> rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    >>> ]
    >>> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 >>> 0xf5c793d3> ]
    >>> sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 >>> 0xf5c793d3> ]

    >>Up to this point pppd is talking to itself. Note that the magic numbers
    >>in the requests and the replies are the same.

    > No, they're not. The local machine is using 0x729c136f, and the peer is
    > using 0xf5c793d3. I'm sure you just overlooked that.

    Actually it's even worse than that, I "overlooked" the fact that
    ConfReq != ConfAck. :/