Mppe not negotiated (linux pptp) - PPP

This is a discussion on Mppe not negotiated (linux pptp) - PPP ; I've been working for hours on a problem with pptp, and I'm hoping someone can help me. I've already searched a bunch of newsgroups, but none of them seem to have any solutions. Anyway - on to the meat of ...

  1. Mppe not negotiated (linux pptp)

    I've been working for hours on a problem with pptp, and I'm hoping
    someone can help me. I've already searched a bunch of newsgroups, but
    none of them seem to have any solutions. Anyway - on to the meat of
    the problem. When I try to start the vpn, I never seem to be able to
    negotiate the mppe compression, and the connection dies. It's quite
    possible I'm misreading the logs, of course, so it could be something
    completely different.

    The config file
    --------------------
    name username
    noauth
    lock
    nobsdcomp
    nodeflate
    debug 2
    mppe-40
    mppe-128
    mppe-stateless

    The debug info (with date, pid, and host info removed) (see *** lines
    for problem area):
    -----------------------
    - pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    - using channel 39
    - Using interface ppp0
    - Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttya0
    - sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    - sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    - rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    - rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 0x52fcf140> ]
    - sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 0x52fcf140> ]
    - rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x52fcf140]
    - sent [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x496672f8]
    - rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 etc]
    - sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 etc]
    - rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 etc]
    - Remote message: Welcome to url
    - sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    *** rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    *** sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
    *** sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    - rcvd [IPCP TermAck id=0x1]
    - rcvd [CCP ConfAck id=0x1]
    - rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "MPPE required but peer refused"]
    - LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer refused)
    - sent [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    - Connection terminated.
    - Exit.

    Thanks in advance,
    James Beninger

  2. Re: Mppe not negotiated (linux pptp)

    James Beninger wrote:

    > The debug info (with date, pid, and host info removed) (see *** lines
    > for problem area):
    > -----------------------
    > - pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0

    The standard pppd 2.4.1 doesn't support MS-CCP in which MPPE is embedded.
    ..
    ..
    ..
    > - rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 etc]
    > - Remote message: Welcome to url
    > - sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > *** rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > *** sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
    > *** sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]

    Here pppd rejects MS-PPC and then the peer sends an IPCP Terminate-Ack
    when no Terminate-Request was sent. The peer is broken in more ways
    than one even by MS standards. Since no MPPC (the last octet would be
    41 if it had been) is requested, rejecting this is not something even MS
    implementations would ordinarily do.

    > - rcvd [IPCP TermAck id=0x1]
    > - rcvd [CCP ConfAck id=0x1]
    > - rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "MPPE required but peer refused"]
    > - LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer refused)
    > - sent [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    > - Connection terminated.
    > - Exit.

    Pppd 2.4.2 supports MS-PPC MPPE, but not MPPC which is patented, so it
    should work in this case where MPPC is not requested.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* Slogan appropriate for a certain well-known software company:
    FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION - it is built into the operating system
    and comes bundled with the software. And it attracts maggots. */

  3. Re: Mppe not negotiated (linux pptp)

    Thanks - that did it.

    Clifford Kite wrote in message news:...
    > James Beninger wrote:
    >
    > > The debug info (with date, pid, and host info removed) (see *** lines
    > > for problem area):
    > > -----------------------
    > > - pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0

    > The standard pppd 2.4.1 doesn't support MS-CCP in which MPPE is embedded.
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > > - rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 etc]
    > > - Remote message: Welcome to url
    > > - sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > > ]
    > > *** rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > > *** sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
    > > *** sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]

    > Here pppd rejects MS-PPC and then the peer sends an IPCP Terminate-Ack
    > when no Terminate-Request was sent. The peer is broken in more ways
    > than one even by MS standards. Since no MPPC (the last octet would be
    > 41 if it had been) is requested, rejecting this is not something even MS
    > implementations would ordinarily do.
    >
    > > - rcvd [IPCP TermAck id=0x1]
    > > - rcvd [CCP ConfAck id=0x1]
    > > - rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "MPPE required but peer refused"]
    > > - LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer refused)
    > > - sent [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    > > - Connection terminated.
    > > - Exit.

    > Pppd 2.4.2 supports MS-PPC MPPE, but not MPPC which is patented, so it
    > should work in this case where MPPC is not requested.
    >
    > -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    > PPP-Q&A links, downloads: http://ckite.no-ip.net/
    > /* Slogan appropriate for a certain well-known software company:
    > FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION - it is built into the operating system
    > and comes bundled with the software. And it attracts maggots. */

+ Reply to Thread