pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem - PPP ; Hello, I'm trying to connect to the Swedish mobile operator Telia via GPRS without success and I hope someone here can hel. Config: Linux 2.4.19 for Intel XScale, pppd 2.4.0. The setup instructions for Windows is "Enable software compression", "Enable ...

  1. pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    Hello,

    I'm trying to connect to the Swedish mobile operator Telia via GPRS
    without success and I hope someone here can hel.

    Config: Linux 2.4.19 for Intel XScale, pppd 2.4.0.

    The setup instructions for Windows is "Enable software compression",
    "Enable PPP LCP extensions" and no username or password.

    Running pppd gives me the following result:

    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0>]
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x3]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
    rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    Connection terminated.

    My options file is as follows:

    debug
    -detach
    defaultroute
    crtscts
    lock
    lcp-echo-interval 5
    lcp-echo-failure 3
    /dev/modem
    38400
    connect "chat -vs -f /etc/ppp/chat.script"
    nomagic
    asyncmap 0
    novj
    usepeerdns

  2. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    google@renaud.se (Krister Renaud) writes:
    > The setup instructions for Windows is "Enable software compression",
    > "Enable PPP LCP extensions" and no username or password.

    That doesn't seem to be accurate, as the peer is demanding
    authentication.

    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    Peer asks that you identify yourself using PAP.

    > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]

    You refuse to identify yourself via PAP or any other authentication
    protocol.

    > sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x3]
    > LCP terminated by peer

    Peer gives up on you. Probably due to the lack of response to the
    request for authentication.

    Consider adding "user username" to your pppd options and something
    like this in your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file:

    username * "password"

    It's possible that the peer is really strange and wants you to run PAP
    even though it's prepared to accept any answer at all. Its LCP
    Configure Request message is bogus enough ( is simply wrong)
    that almost anything is possible.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:46:36 +0200, Krister Renaud wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to connect to the Swedish mobile operator Telia via GPRS
    > without success and I hope someone here can hel.
    >
    > Config: Linux 2.4.19 for Intel XScale, pppd 2.4.0.
    >
    > The setup instructions for Windows is "Enable software compression",
    > "Enable PPP LCP extensions" and no username or password.

    Add 'noauth' to the list of pppd options, also consider adding
    'noccp' - GSM phones usually doesn't speak that (depending on which
    brand you're using).

    Regards
    /devlin

    --
    NSA disclaimer: This message does not contain any of the words: BOMB,
    WHITEHOUSE, TERROISM or PRESIDENT so you may stop reading right here.

  4. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    In article <16a08d64.0408170746.49d193e2@posting.google.com>, Krister Renaud
    wrote:
    > lcp-echo-interval 5
    > lcp-echo-failure 3

    In addition to the other fine comments, you might want to zero the
    lcp-echo's, as most phones don't reply to these. But you'll know for shure
    by the time the other bits work and the connection just hangs up after 15
    seconds

    -Mikko

  5. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    James Carlson wrote in message news:...

    > Consider adding "user username" to your pppd options and something
    > like this in your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file:
    >
    > username * "password"

    This did the trick, however there is still something strange going on
    as I get the following results:

    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="foo" password=]
    rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 "Welcome!"]
    Remote message: Welcome!
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0>]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x2 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x3 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x4 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x4 ]
    local IP address 192.168.111.112
    remote IP address 192.168.111.111
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 291)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 291), status = 0x0
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Connection terminated.
    Connect time 0.0 minutes

    -------

    Vodafone works perfectly with the same settings (except a different
    APN), and both operators work like a charm under Windows.

  6. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    google@renaud.se (Krister Renaud) writes:
    > This did the trick, however there is still something strange going on
    > as I get the following results:

    Really? Something strange happening on GPRS? ;-}

    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 > 0.0.0.0>]
    > rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]

    Clearly, the peer doesn't like the "usepeerdns" option. You might as
    well get rid of that.

    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
    > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x3 ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x4 ]
    > rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x4 ]

    The rest of this looks fine.

    > Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 291), status = 0x0
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2]
    > LCP terminated by peer

    Hmm. I have no idea why it chose to terminate at this point.
    Everything seemed to be working fine.

    Perhaps the user name you gave still isn't right.

    Or, perhaps, it wants something else from you.

    > Vodafone works perfectly with the same settings (except a different
    > APN), and both operators work like a charm under Windows.

    If you can get debug traces that show it working, it might be possible
    to nail down what the differences are.

    There's nothing wrong with the logs you're showing, which means that
    the problem is most likely at the other end of the connection.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  7. Re: pppd 2.4.0 + Telia GPRS problem

    Mikko Rapeli wrote:
    > In article <16a08d64.0408170746.49d193e2@posting.google.com>, Krister Renaud
    > wrote:
    >> lcp-echo-interval 5
    >> lcp-echo-failure 3

    > In addition to the other fine comments, you might want to zero the
    > lcp-echo's, as most phones don't reply to these. But you'll know for shure
    > by the time the other bits work and the connection just hangs up after 15
    > seconds

    In view of the peculiarities of PPP/GPRS I'd suggest that the OP at least
    try this.