Need help configuring dial up modem - PPP

This is a discussion on Need help configuring dial up modem - PPP ; Configuration: Lunix Red Hat fedora Compaq 2100 notebook Serial modem Modem hardware set up properly: wvdialconf create detected modem. when I echo "info" > /dev/ttyS0 the modem lights go on. ping www.nasa.gov ping: unknown host www.nasa.gov I configured the dial ...

  1. Need help configuring dial up modem

    Configuration:
    Lunix Red Hat fedora
    Compaq 2100 notebook
    Serial modem

    Modem hardware set up properly:
    wvdialconf create detected modem.
    when I echo "info" > /dev/ttyS0 the modem lights go on.
    ping www.nasa.gov
    ping: unknown host www.nasa.gov
    I configured the dial up connection in the network config utility.
    When i 'activate' the modem connection, nothing happens.
    ifup ppp0
    more /var/log/pppmsg
    pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/ttyS0 at 11520
    pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    Using interface ppp16
    local IP address 10.64.54.80
    remote IP address 10.112.112.128

    Can anyone give me any advice?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Need help configuring dial up modem

  3. Re: Need help configuring dial up modem

    Dan Sullivan wrote:
    > Configuration:
    > Lunix Red Hat fedora
    > Compaq 2100 notebook
    > Serial modem

    USR Sportster or not? Many Sportsters need to be initialized with AT&F1,
    or perhaps AT&F2, to work correctly.

    > Modem hardware set up properly:
    > wvdialconf create detected modem.
    > when I echo "info" > /dev/ttyS0 the modem lights go on.
    > ping www.nasa.gov
    > ping: unknown host www.nasa.gov

    Can you ping 66.236.129.67 (which is an IP address for www.nasa.gov)?
    If you can then it is DNS problem. If no DNS nameserver is configured
    in resolv.conf then ping exits immediately. If there is a nameserver
    configured there but it is not functional then ping will hang several
    seconds before exiting.

    Otherwise you may have no default route, or an incorrect default route.
    The ping will likely hang for several minutes if it is an incorrect
    default route.

    > I configured the dial up connection in the network config utility.
    > When i 'activate' the modem connection, nothing happens.
    > ifup ppp0
    > more /var/log/pppmsg
    > pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/ttyS0 at 11520

    I assume that 11520 is a typo or incomplete cut-and-paste.

    > pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    > Using interface ppp16

    Something is going on that is not normal. The PPP interface for a normal
    dialup host is almost always ppp0.

    > local IP address 10.64.54.80
    > remote IP address 10.112.112.128

    Is the ISP is doing NAT? The IP address 10.64.54.80 is not Internet
    routable so either NAT is involved or incorrect IP addresses are
    negotiated.

    Can you ping 10.64.54.80? If so then NAT is involved. If not then it
    may or may not be involved (ping ECHO and ECHO replies can be blocked).

    /* On Linux be root, on Windows reboot.
    -Josef Müllers */

  4. Re: Need help configuring dial up modem

    Clifford Kite wrote:
    > Dan Sullivan wrote:

    >> pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    >> Using interface ppp16

    > Something is going on that is not normal. The PPP interface for a normal
    > dialup host is almost always ppp0.

    >> local IP address 10.64.54.80
    >> remote IP address 10.112.112.128

    > Is the ISP is doing NAT? The IP address 10.64.54.80 is not Internet
    > routable so either NAT is involved or incorrect IP addresses are
    > negotiated.

    I just noticed that the remote IP address is 10.112.112.112 with
    16 added to the last octet. That may well be correlated with the
    ppp16 interface. The IP address 10.112.112.112 is a default remote
    IP address pppd uses when the IPCP negotiation is completed without
    one, presumable for the ppp0 interface. It seems reasonable that
    with multiple PPP interfaces the last octet might be incremented by
    1 for each new interface.

    Moreover, speculating that 10.64.54.80 was hand-copied and 54 should
    really be 64 then 80-16=64. The IP address 10.64.64.64 is a default
    local IP address pppd uses when IPCP negotiation is completed without
    one, again presumable for ppp0. So the increment-by-1 guess for each
    new PPP interface seems reasonable there too.