Could not determine local IP address - PPP

This is a discussion on Could not determine local IP address - PPP ; James Carlson wrote: >> For the OP: This doesn't alter by belief that >> the devfs filesystem is responsible for the /dev/tts/0 and that BSD PTY >> or UNIX98 support should be used instead. > Why would he want to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    James Carlson wrote:

    >> For the OP: This doesn't alter by belief that
    >> the devfs filesystem is responsible for the /dev/tts/0 and that BSD PTY
    >> or UNIX98 support should be used instead.

    > Why would he want to use ptys at all? I thought that the original
    > poster was using real serial ports. How did ptys come into the
    > picture?

    Because I'm still confused? Yes, undoubtedly.

    I *am* confident that devfs support in the kernel and in inittab is
    causing /dev/tts/0, and if the inittab support is disabled then the
    kernel may revert to using ttySx. Or it may need to be recompiled
    with devfs support disabled and some option enabled that activates
    ttySx support, entitled something like:

    Standard/generic (8250/16550 and compatible UARTs) serial support

  2. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    Clifford Kite writes:

    ]James Carlson wrote:

    ]>> For the OP: This doesn't alter by belief that
    ]>> the devfs filesystem is responsible for the /dev/tts/0 and that BSD PTY
    ]>> or UNIX98 support should be used instead.

    ]> Why would he want to use ptys at all? I thought that the original
    ]> poster was using real serial ports. How did ptys come into the
    ]> picture?

    ]Because I'm still confused? Yes, undoubtedly.

    ]I *am* confident that devfs support in the kernel and in inittab is
    ]causing /dev/tts/0, and if the inittab support is disabled then the
    ]kernel may revert to using ttySx. Or it may need to be recompiled
    ]with devfs support disabled and some option enabled that activates
    ]ttySx support, entitled something like:

    Hardly seems like a reason for killing off devfs. pppd works perfectly with
    devfs. Now the OP may have to figure out what exactly to call his file, or
    could just put the appropriate lines into the command line rather than an
    options.ttyS0 file, or use the file command of pppd to make sure the right
    file is read, but killing off devfs seems like a drastic step. Note that I
    run devfs and have not had any problems whatsoever, but then I also have
    not tried using an options.ttyS0 file, since I put everything into options.
    (I have only one modem)
    Ie, I think that now there are two issues here. One is can he get his pppd
    to work. I think the answer is clearly yes, with many many lines of attack.
    The second is what does pppd do for its calling terminal in a devfs system.
    I do not know, but I think this is a separate issue from the first-- not
    uninteresting, but separate.

    ]Standard/generic (8250/16550 and compatible UARTs) serial support

  3. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    junk@foushee.cc (Carey) writes:

    ]Sure enough /dev/ttyS0 is symbolic link to /dev/tts/0. Is that
    ]"normal"? Oh, I have mandrake 9.1 which uses kernel 2.4.21.

    Yes, the ttyS ports are now deprecated (just as the cua ports were a few
    years ago) but links from the old to the new are the way to get around
    that.

    ]I made a /etc/ppp/options.tts.0 and everything worked fine.

    great.

    ]Here's the lines I put at the end of /etc/inittab file (which are the
    ]only changes I made):
    ]# Run mgetty to listen for incoming connections
    ]S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D ttyS0 -s 19200
    ]S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D ttyS1 -s 19200
    ]S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D ttyS2 -s 19200
    ]S3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D ttyS3 -s 19200

    Fine. The only potential problem is with the lock files. mgetty relies on
    the lock files to know when something else is using the serial port, or it
    gets completely confused. When pppd is running with the lock options, look
    in /var/lock to see what the name of the lock file is. If it is LCK..ttyS0
    then it is fine. If it is something else, mgetty will get confused.

    ]Also, I can tail and watch mgetty's log at /var/log/mgetty.ttyS0. So,
    ]I'm confused as to whats going here.

    mgetty uses the name you give it, which as you say is a link. pppd may ask
    directly for the tty name, and use that, and since ttyS0 is just a link it
    would not use that.

    ]Part of me is saying its working don't worry about it, but I would
    ]like to understand it and make any improvements (if possible) as well.

    Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds. Mind you little minds are
    sometimes useful, especially in software.

    ]Thanks.
    ]Carey

  4. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Clifford Kite writes:

    > ]I *am* confident that devfs support in the kernel and in inittab is
    > ]causing /dev/tts/0, and if the inittab support is disabled then the
    > ]kernel may revert to using ttySx. Or it may need to be recompiled
    > ]with devfs support disabled and some option enabled that activates
    > ]ttySx support, entitled something like:

    Thanks for the post, now I can point out that it should be "fstab" above,
    as in my previous reply, not "inittab."

    > Hardly seems like a reason for killing off devfs. pppd works perfectly with
    > devfs. Now the OP may have to figure out what exactly to call his file, or
    > could just put the appropriate lines into the command line rather than an
    > options.ttyS0 file, or use the file command of pppd to make sure the right
    > file is read, but killing off devfs seems like a drastic step. Note that I
    > run devfs and have not had any problems whatsoever, but then I also have
    > not tried using an options.ttyS0 file, since I put everything into options.

    With James' help he's now found a workable solution.

    One reason for not continuing to configure devfs in kernels is this
    option in the 2.6 kernels:

    [ ] /dev file system support (OBSOLETE)

    And from the help section:

    Note that devfs has been obsoleted by udev,
    .
    It has been stripped down to a bare minimum and is only provided for
    legacy installations that use its naming scheme which is unfortunately
    different from the names normal Linux installations use.

  5. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    Clifford Kite writes:

    ]> Hardly seems like a reason for killing off devfs. pppd works perfectly with
    ]> devfs. Now the OP may have to figure out what exactly to call his file, or
    ]> could just put the appropriate lines into the command line rather than an
    ]> options.ttyS0 file, or use the file command of pppd to make sure the right
    ]> file is read, but killing off devfs seems like a drastic step. Note that I
    ]> run devfs and have not had any problems whatsoever, but then I also have
    ]> not tried using an options.ttyS0 file, since I put everything into options.

    ]One reason for not continuing to configure devfs in kernels is this
    ]option in the 2.6 kernels:

    ][ ] /dev file system support (OBSOLETE)

    ]And from the help section:

    ]Note that devfs has been obsoleted by udev,
    ].

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/util...tplug/udev-FAQ

    OK, I learned something new again here. Interesting comments

    - devfs was found to have fixable and unfixable bugs
    - the former had stayed around for many months with maintainer
    claiming that everything works fine
    - the latter had stayed, period.
    - the devfs maintainer/author disappeared and stoped maintaining
    the code.

    However, pppd still works with devfs as well as /dev (and perhaps udev as
    well.)

    Certainly my Mandrake 10.0 (2.6.3 kernel) uses devfs by default.

  6. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    Actually I like how it is working now. That way I can put different
    options when the line is dialed as opposed to when its receiving a
    call. I was having a problem with the persist parameter not releasing
    the ppp line when it got disconnected so mgetty could pick it back up,
    now I just put the persist in the options.ttyS0 and not the
    options.tts.0.

    So, thanks to you all

  7. Re: Could not determine local IP address

    junk@foushee.cc (Carey) writes:

    ]Actually I like how it is working now. That way I can put different
    ]options when the line is dialed as opposed to when its receiving a
    ]call. I was having a problem with the persist parameter not releasing
    ]the ppp line when it got disconnected so mgetty could pick it back up,
    ]now I just put the persist in the options.ttyS0 and not the
    ]options.tts.0.

    Again, bad idea since mgetty will have problems with locks if you do not
    have the pppd on the same device as mgetty.

    And a much easier way to differentiate send and receive is to put the
    options on the command line (eg in login.config or on the pppd command
    line)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2