pppoe or PPP with ADSL ? - PPP

This is a discussion on pppoe or PPP with ADSL ? - PPP ; one small question, from here I found a good description of PPP http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/umppp/chapter/ch06.html Now assume I'd like to use an ADSL modem, I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux, but this article describes only serial PPP through the ...

  1. pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    one small question,

    from here I found a good description of PPP

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/umppp/chapter/ch06.html

    Now assume I'd like to use an ADSL modem,

    I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux,

    but this article describes only serial PPP through the
    UART chip, hence it is all about serial rs232 communication.

    Is this the same as PPPoE ?

    I simply don't know exactly what to do in order to get my solaris 9 4/04
    for intel x86
    up an running with an ADSL Modem,

    I think a serial modem is totaly different than an ADSL Modem,
    and PPPoE and serial PPP is not the same ?

    Yours Sincerely

    Morten Gulbrandsen

  2. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    "Morten Gulbrandsen" wrote in message
    > one small question,
    >
    > from here I found a good description of PPP
    >
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/umppp/chapter/ch06.html
    >
    > Now assume I'd like to use an ADSL modem,
    >
    > I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux,
    >
    > but this article describes only serial PPP through the
    > UART chip, hence it is all about serial rs232 communication.
    >
    > Is this the same as PPPoE ?
    >
    > I simply don't know exactly what to do in order to get my solaris 9

    4/04
    > for intel x86
    > up an running with an ADSL Modem,
    >
    > I think a serial modem is totaly different than an ADSL Modem,
    > and PPPoE and serial PPP is not the same ?
    >
    > Yours Sincerely
    >
    > Morten Gulbrandsen

    Try this....
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/d/jdloop/adsl/ShastaBBG/
    or http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2516.html
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again..

  3. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    "Morten Gulbrandsen" writes:
    > I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux,
    >
    > but this article describes only serial PPP through the
    > UART chip, hence it is all about serial rs232 communication.
    >
    > Is this the same as PPPoE ?

    More or less. PPP is PPP, of course, but the underlying transport
    makes a few differences. These are (at least):

    PPPoE has a fixed maximum MRU/MTU of 1492, due to its
    encapsulation in Ethernet. PPP over most other media has a
    limit of 65535 octets by negotiation, and theoretically
    unlimited by prior arrangement of the peers.

    PPPoE doesn't use the ACFC option from RFC 1661 and ACCM
    option from RFC 1662. They're not needed.

    > I simply don't know exactly what to do in order to get my solaris 9 4/04
    > for intel x86
    > up an running with an ADSL Modem,

    This should be fairly easy.

    First, you need to know what the Ethernet interface on your system is
    called. It's probably 'elxl0', 'iprb0', or 'e1000g0'. If you don't
    know, then either do an "ifconfig -a plumb" or grovel through the
    output of "prtconf -vPD".

    Next, set up that interface so that it'll work for PPPoE. Note that
    you do *NOT* have to set up IP on Ethernet, but you can if you want.
    They can work in parallel (independently) on the same Ethernet
    interface.

    # echo elxl0 > /etc/ppp/pppoe.if
    # /etc/init.d/pppd start

    That second command can be done manually if you like by issuing
    sppptun commands:

    # sppptun plumb pppoe elxl0
    # sppptun plumb pppoed elxl0

    More information about sppptun is in the sppptun(1M) man page.

    Next, set up a client. The most trivial possible one would be to
    issue this from the command line:

    # pppd sppptun debug updetach plugin pppoe.so connect \
    '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec elxl0'

    More complex configurations are possible. See pppd(1M), pppoec(1M),
    and the reference manual:

    http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-1717/6mhe95fas?a=view

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  4. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    "Morten Gulbrandsen" writes:

    ]one small question,

    ]from here I found a good description of PPP

    ]http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/umppp/chapter/ch06.html

    ]Now assume I'd like to use an ADSL modem,

    ]I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux,

    ]but this article describes only serial PPP through the
    ]UART chip, hence it is all about serial rs232 communication.

    ]Is this the same as PPPoE ?

    ]I simply don't know exactly what to do in order to get my solaris 9 4/04
    ]for intel x86
    ]up an running with an ADSL Modem,

    ]I think a serial modem is totaly different than an ADSL Modem,
    ]and PPPoE and serial PPP is not the same ?

    pppoe was an abortion foisted upon many ISPs. It should never have seem the
    light of day, but lots of ISPs were clueless.
    Whether your ISP uses pppoe or pppoa or some other technique (mine does not
    use ppp at all.) depends on the ISP/ adsl supplier.
    Eg, I just connect up the ADSL modem and run dhcp to get my address. This
    is because there is only one adsl ISP (run by the telco here) so there is
    no need to route the adsl to various isps. I do not know what the German
    situation is.

  5. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

  6. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    Morten Gulbrandsen wrote:
    > one small question,

    > from here I found a good description of PPP

    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/umppp/chapter/ch06.html

    Note that this book is dated 1999, and aspppd is not at all likely to
    be the userland PPP program for a current Solaris OS.

    > Now assume I'd like to use an ADSL modem,

    What kind of ADSL modem, one that does PPPoE internally, or one for a
    standard ADSL connection? Only for a standard (non-PPPoE) ADSL modem
    is it necessary to setup PPPoE on the connection host, and then only
    when the ISP requires PPPoE.

    > I'm used to run PPPoE as usual under Linux,

    > but this article describes only serial PPP through the
    > UART chip, hence it is all about serial rs232 communication.

    > Is this the same as PPPoE ?

    No, it's not. Regular PPP is usually run through an asynchronous
    serial device that connects the PPP implementation to an analog modem,
    which in turn modulates and demodulates the PPP frames sent to and
    received from the other side. The physical connection can be most
    any POTS landline.

    PPPoE encapsulates data in PPP frames, which are subject to minor
    special restrictions, and those are in turn encapsulated in special
    Ethernet framing designed just for holding PPP frames. In the usual
    case of host-based PPPoE those Ethernet frames will be sent to and
    received from a standard ADSL modem through an Ethernet interface on
    the connection host. A POTS landline to the modem must be capable
    of supporting direct high-speed digital transmission with a Telco
    DSLAM, for both PPPoE and non-PPPoE ADSL.

    > I simply don't know exactly what to do in order to get my solaris
    > 9 4/04 for intel x86 up an running with an ADSL Modem,

    James Carlson has given the best answer you are likely to get anywhere
    in that regard.

    > I think a serial modem is totaly different than an ADSL Modem,
    > and PPPoE and serial PPP is not the same ?

    They are definitely not the same, although PPP framing is used in both
    cases, directly for regular PPP and indirectly for PPPoE. PPP link
    negotiation occurs in both cases to establish operating parameters for
    PPP data transfer, including the IP addresses of the peers.

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

  7. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    ]Bill Unruh wrote:
    ][snip]
    ]> Eg, I just connect up the ADSL modem and run dhcp to get my address. This
    ]> is because there is only one adsl ISP (run by the telco here)

    ]Bill,

    ]Does this ISP also provide/use PPPoE? One the same line or for the same
    ]service? (That is to say, if /your/ ISP dictates PPPoE, but you've found that
    ]it isn't necessary in order to get your Internet connection.)

    No. Unlike in the UK, here the telco is the only adsl supplier
    (the other one is TV cable companies). Ie, there is no need for you to
    choose a supplier and authentication via ppp (or the oe or oa variety)
    So, my situation is probably irrelevant to the OP.

    ]I'm just wondering what sort of implications this has, especially if /not/
    ]using PPPoE somehow circumvents the ISP's AUP.

  8. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    hello,

    Thank you all for the gentle replies,

    I still have a problem with ADSL PPPoE and Solaris 9 x86

    bash-2.05# uname -a
    SunOS pelikan 5.9 Generic_112234-12 i86pc i386 i86pc
    bash-2.05#

    After reading through some of the documentation
    and the repies I have collected I tried again.

    Here is my results:

    bash-2.05# ifconfig -a plumb
    bash-2.05#

    bash-2.05# ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=1000849 mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    elx0: flags=1000842 mtu 1500 index 2
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 broadcast 127.255.255.255
    ether 0:a0:24:70:79:bc
    bash-2.05#

    then I did this :

    prtconf -vPD

    prtconf -vPD > /floppy/floppy0/print_conf-vPD.txt

    bash-2.05# prtconf -vPD > /floppy/floppy0/print_conf-vPD.txt
    bash-2.05#

    the file was 29.9 kBytes but contained these entries:

    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems i86pc
    Memory size: 256 Megabytes
    System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

    i86pc
    System properties:
    name='whoami' type=string items=1
    value='/platform/i86pc/kernel/unix'

    pci10b7,5900, instance #0 (driver name: elx)

    sppptun, instance #0 (driver name: sppptun)
    System properties:
    name='instance' type=int items=1
    value=00000000
    sppp, instance #0 (driver name: sppp)
    System properties:
    name='instance' type=int items=1
    value=00000000

    the rest can be considered as spam,

    then I did this :

    echo elx0 > /etc/ppp/pppoe.if

    bash-2.05# echo elx0 > /etc/ppp/pppoe.if
    bash-2.05#

    then I did this :

    /etc/init.d/pppd start
    bash-2.05# /etc/init.d/pppd start
    PPPTUN_SNAME: File exists
    /usr/sbin/sppptun: elx0ppoe already installed
    PPPTUN_SNAME: File exists
    /usr/sbin/sppptun: elx0ppoed already installed
    bash-2.05#

    then I did this :

    sppptun plumb pppoe elx0

    bash-2.05# sppptun plumb pppoe elx0
    PPPTUN_SNAME: File exists
    sppptun: elx0ppoe already installed
    bash-2.05#

    then I did this :

    sppptun plumb pppoed elx0

    bash-2.05# sppptun plumb pppoed elx0
    PPPTUN_SNAME: File exists
    sppptun: elx0ppoed already installed
    bash-2.05#

    then I did this :

    pppd sppptun debug updetach plugin pppoe.so connect '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec
    elx0'

    bash-2.05# pppd sppptun debug updetach plugin pppoe.so connect
    '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec elx0'
    connect option: '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec elx0' started (pid 560)
    Serial connection established.
    Using interface sppp0
    Connect: sppp0 <--> /dev/sppptun
    /etc/ppp/chap-secrets is apparently empty
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5d
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xd4 ]
    sent [LCP Ident id=0x5e magic=0x0 "ppp-2.4.0b1 (Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mar
    13 2003 02:00:40)"]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0xd4 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x5d
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xd5 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0xd5 ]
    sent [LCP Ident id=0x5f magic=0x187534dc "ppp-2.4.0b1 (Sun Microsystems,
    Inc., Mar 13 2003 02:00:40)"]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x8a ]
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0xc9 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0xd6]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0xd6]
    received PPPoE PADT; connection has been closed
    Modem hangup
    We rejected the peer's demand for 0xc023 (Password Authentication Protocol)
    Connection terminated.

    ===

    That's it,

    please tell me what can I do now ?

    sure I did edit the /etc/pap-secrets file and
    I have this up and running under Linux and FreeBSD

    Please help.

    Yours Sincerely

    Morten Gulbrandsen

    "Bill Unruh" wrote in message
    > Lew Pitcher writes:

    > ]Bill Unruh wrote:
    > ][snip]
    > ]> Eg, I just connect up the ADSL modem and run dhcp to get my address.

    This
    > ]> is because there is only one adsl ISP (run by the telco here)
    >
    > ]Bill,
    >
    > ]Does this ISP also provide/use PPPoE? One the same line or for the same
    > ]service? (That is to say, if /your/ ISP dictates PPPoE, but you've found

    that
    > ]it isn't necessary in order to get your Internet connection.)
    >
    > No. Unlike in the UK, here the telco is the only adsl supplier
    > (the other one is TV cable companies). Ie, there is no need for you to
    > choose a supplier and authentication via ppp (or the oe or oa variety)
    > So, my situation is probably irrelevant to the OP.
    >

    > ]I'm just wondering what sort of implications this has, especially if

    /not/
    > ]using PPPoE somehow circumvents the ISP's AUP.

  9. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    Morten Gulbrandsen wrote:

    > pppd sppptun debug updetach plugin pppoe.so connect '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec
    > elx0'

    > bash-2.05# pppd sppptun debug updetach plugin pppoe.so connect
    > '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec elx0'
    > connect option: '/usr/lib/inet/pppoec elx0' started (pid 560)
    > Serial connection established.
    > Using interface sppp0
    > Connect: sppp0 <--> /dev/sppptun
    > /etc/ppp/chap-secrets is apparently empty
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5d
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xd4 ]
    > sent [LCP Ident id=0x5e magic=0x0 "ppp-2.4.0b1 (Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mar
    > 13 2003 02:00:40)"]
    > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0xd4 ]

    Given that I don't know details of any Sun OS, this shows that you
    rejected PAP authentication. The ISP has to authenticate you before
    granting access.

    Since a line above references /etc/ppp/chap-secrets it would appear that
    the authentication secrets are stored as they are in Linux. So I'd guess
    that your pppd configuration either has refuse-pap as an option or there
    is no ppp-secrets file. Since you later say you edited the pap-secrets
    file then refuse-pap appears to be the only thing left.

    Note that merely having the name or secret wrong in pap-secrets won't
    cause LCP negotiation to fail.

    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x5d
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xd5 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0xd5 ]
    > sent [LCP Ident id=0x5f magic=0x187534dc "ppp-2.4.0b1 (Sun Microsystems,
    > Inc., Mar 13 2003 02:00:40)"]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x8a ]
    > sent [CCP ConfReq id=0xc9 ]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0xd6]
    > LCP terminated by peer

    The successful negotiations above are simply to bring LCP to the open
    state where the PPP allows graceful termination.

    No PAP authentication = no access.

    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0xd6]
    > received PPPoE PADT; connection has been closed
    > Modem hangup
    > We rejected the peer's demand for 0xc023 (Password Authentication Protocol)
    > Connection terminated.

    > ===

    > That's it,

    > please tell me what can I do now ?

    > sure I did edit the /etc/pap-secrets file and
    > I have this up and running under Linux and FreeBSD

    It may just be a Sun thing, but for Linux pppd 2.4.0b1 was a beta pppd.
    If you don't have refuse-pap (also know as "-pap") configured for pppd
    then consider upgrading pppd, currently version 2.4.2 for Linux.

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

  10. Re: pppoe or PPP with ADSL ?

    Clifford Kite writes:
    > Given that I don't know details of any Sun OS, this shows that you
    > rejected PAP authentication. The ISP has to authenticate you before
    > granting access.

    Right; the authentication information is misconfigured.

    > Since a line above references /etc/ppp/chap-secrets it would appear that
    > the authentication secrets are stored as they are in Linux.

    Indeed. Or, rather, it's the other way around. pppd was used on Sun
    systems long before there even was a Linux. ;-}

    > So I'd guess
    > that your pppd configuration either has refuse-pap as an option or there
    > is no ppp-secrets file. Since you later say you edited the pap-secrets
    > file then refuse-pap appears to be the only thing left.

    Not really. Missing "user" option would do this, too.

    > It may just be a Sun thing, but for Linux pppd 2.4.0b1 was a beta pppd.

    It's what we used as a base, so we include it in the ident string, but
    it has many bug fixes in it -- which I'm slowly exporting out to the
    open source version. And Sun has an internal software testing program
    that the open source code does *not* go through. And this version is
    the one that Sun supports.

    It's not right to assume that since it reports 2.4.0b1 as a base that
    it necessarily has the same bugs as the raw 2.4.0b1 code on Linux did.

    > If you don't have refuse-pap (also know as "-pap") configured for pppd
    > then consider upgrading pppd, currently version 2.4.2 for Linux.

    I would not recommend doing that.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group