Turn keepalives off in pppd - PPP

This is a discussion on Turn keepalives off in pppd - PPP ; Hi, Is there an option to turn off PPP keepalives on Linux? I am running Red Hat 9 and pppd. For the test I am doing, I need to turn off the keepalives (LCP Echo Requests) that the pppd daemon ...

  1. Turn keepalives off in pppd

    Hi,

    Is there an option to turn off PPP keepalives on Linux? I am running
    Red Hat 9 and pppd. For the test I am doing, I need to turn off the
    keepalives (LCP Echo Requests) that the pppd daemon is generating.

    Thanks for any help.

    CS

  2. Re: Turn keepalives off in pppd

    csektor2002@yahoo.com (Corrupt Sektor) writes:
    > Is there an option to turn off PPP keepalives on Linux? I am running
    > Red Hat 9 and pppd. For the test I am doing, I need to turn off the
    > keepalives (LCP Echo Requests) that the pppd daemon is generating.

    They're off by default. You have to specify the lcp-echo-interval
    option (see the pppd man page) in order to turn them on, which means
    that this option must be somewhere in your configuration files.

    You should be able to specify "lcp-echo-interval 0" in your local
    configuration or on the command line if you don't want to change the
    global configuration files, but only if you're privileged or the
    original source of the option was unprivileged.

    Note that if it's the peer that's sending these requests, there's
    simply no way at all to turn them off. You can't stop a peer from
    sending you messages you don't want, other than just disconnecting the
    wire.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: Turn keepalives off in pppd

    csektor2002@yahoo.com (Corrupt Sektor) writes:

    ]Hi,

    ]Is there an option to turn off PPP keepalives on Linux? I am running
    ]Red Hat 9 and pppd. For the test I am doing, I need to turn off the
    ]keepalives (LCP Echo Requests) that the pppd daemon is generating.

    man pppd.
    They are off by default-- ie remove them from the /etc/ppp/options file or
    from the command line which starts pppd.

+ Reply to Thread