ccp and ipcp problems... - PPP

This is a discussion on ccp and ipcp problems... - PPP ; Hello, I am working on a ppp implementation. In this implementation, I handle all the protocols included in the ppp with the possible minimal options... i.e. I reject all the options other than the authentication protocol in the the configure ...

  1. ccp and ipcp problems...

    Hello,

    I am working on a ppp implementation. In this implementation, I handle
    all the protocols included in the ppp with the possible minimal
    options... i.e. I reject all the options other than the authentication
    protocol in the the configure request of the remote ISP for it to
    handle the defaults of the all of the options in the lcp. And after my
    password is authenticated I send an empty ccp request and I send an
    ipcp request with zeros inserted for the ip address. I receive
    configure ack to both of these requests. But when I either reject or
    ack the configure requests of the ccp and ipcp of the remote ISP, it
    never takes my reply into account and it only goes on sending its
    requests continually. So it is impossible for me to start the network
    phase in the ppp. I want to ask what I need to do in order for the
    remote ISP to handle my responses, either rejects or acks, to its
    requests of the ccp and ipcp.

    Thanks in advice...

  2. Re: ccp and ipcp problems...

    x_mckay_x@yahoo.com (McKay) writes:
    > handle the defaults of the all of the options in the lcp. And after my
    > password is authenticated I send an empty ccp request and I send an

    Why send an empty CCP request? That implies that you know CCP and
    that you're willing to negotiate parameters for it.

    If you don't actually support CCP, then that's incorrect. You should
    not send requests for things that you don't implement, and should send
    LCP Protocol-Reject if you happen to receive a request from the peer.

    > ipcp request with zeros inserted for the ip address. I receive
    > configure ack to both of these requests. But when I either reject or
    > ack the configure requests of the ccp and ipcp of the remote ISP, it
    > never takes my reply into account and it only goes on sending its
    > requests continually. So it is impossible for me to start the network
    > phase in the ppp. I want to ask what I need to do in order for the
    > remote ISP to handle my responses, either rejects or acks, to its
    > requests of the ccp and ipcp.

    Please post debug logs. We cannot see the operation of your system
    from here, and English text just doesn't do protocol exchanges any
    justice.

    At a really wild guess, I'd expect that you've not received an IPCP
    Configure-Ack from the peer. Did you implement the state machine as
    described in RFC 1661 *completely*?

    Note that CCP and IPCP are independent, at least in good
    implementations. This means that it's possible for IPCP to come up
    while CCP is stuck or failed.

    Note also that some systems specifically *require* the use of CCP, and
    if you don't implement it, then you'll fail to interoperate with those
    systems. That would include any system that's using Microsoft's
    proprietary encryption (MPPE) mechanism.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group