GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server. - PPP

This is a discussion on GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server. - PPP ; I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000 dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything seems OK, however they get an ...

  1. GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running
    on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000
    dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything
    seems OK, however they get an error 619 and can't connect. I've looked
    at the logs for poptop and they list the following.

    GRE: read error: No route to host
    CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
    Modem hangup

    Any ideas on what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

  2. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:06:18 -0700, jfizer wrote:

    >I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running
    >on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000
    >dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything
    >seems OK, however they get an error 619 and can't connect. I've looked
    >at the logs for poptop and they list the following.
    >
    >GRE: read error: No route to host
    >CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
    >Modem hangup
    >
    >Any ideas on what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

    Forgot to add, the client is behind a CISCO PIX firewall with an
    unknown configuration.

  3. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    wrote in message news:q81pd0pfs0vi69990b7vkp97ua8dci3kip@4ax.com...
    > I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running
    > on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000
    > dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything
    > seems OK, however they get an error 619 and can't connect. I've looked
    > at the logs for poptop and they list the following.
    >
    > GRE: read error: No route to host
    > CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
    > Modem hangup
    >
    > Any ideas on what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

    /sbin/ifconfig gre0

    if that doesnt work you need to compile it in as a kernel module

  4. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:35:32 +1000, "Tim Warnock"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message news:q81pd0pfs0vi69990b7vkp97ua8dci3kip@4ax.com...
    >> I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running
    >> on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000
    >> dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything
    >> seems OK, however they get an error 619 and can't connect. I've looked
    >> at the logs for poptop and they list the following.
    >>
    >> GRE: read error: No route to host
    >> CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
    >> Modem hangup
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

    >/sbin/ifconfig gre0
    >
    >if that doesnt work you need to compile it in as a kernel module

    Not sure I follow. Why is this one client connection causing problems
    while the others are not?

  5. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    wrote in message news:8h7pd0trq8i3jjh2r3hounan7lbc1sbfrl@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:35:32 +1000, "Tim Warnock"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > wrote in message

    > >> I have a client trying to connect to our PPTP server (Poptop running
    > >> on Debian with MPE128 encryption) using the built in Windows 2000
    > >> dialup VPN client. I've tripple checked their settings and everything
    > >> seems OK, however they get an error 619 and can't connect. I've looked
    > >> at the logs for poptop and they list the following.
    > >>
    > >> GRE: read error: No route to host
    > >> CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
    > >> Modem hangup
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas on what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

    > >/sbin/ifconfig gre0
    > >
    > >if that doesnt work you need to compile it in as a kernel module
    > >

    > Not sure I follow. Why is this one client connection causing problems
    > while the others are not?

    the other thing is no route to host
    can your poptop server ping the workstation before it connects?

  6. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:00:39 +1000, "Tim Warnock"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message news:8h7pd0trq8i3jjh2r3hounan7lbc1sbfrl@4ax.com...
    >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:35:32 +1000, "Tim Warnock"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > wrote in message

    >> >/sbin/ifconfig gre0
    >> >
    >> >if that doesnt work you need to compile it in as a kernel module
    >> >

    >> Not sure I follow. Why is this one client connection causing problems
    >> while the others are not?

    >the other thing is no route to host
    >can your poptop server ping the workstation before it connects?

    The remote end is behind a firewall, so I cant ping it. However they
    are on a publicly routable IP address and running a web server which I
    can access.

  7. Re: GRE problem with CISCO PIX and Poptop PPTP server.

    wrote in message news:568pd0p6eoep1jfirstfka53o0b4seoepu@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:00:39 +1000, "Tim Warnock"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > wrote in message

    everything

    looked

    > >> Not sure I follow. Why is this one client connection causing problems
    > >> while the others are not?

    > >the other thing is no route to host
    > >can your poptop server ping the workstation before it connects?
    > >

    > The remote end is behind a firewall, so I cant ping it. However they
    > are on a publicly routable IP address and running a web server which I
    > can access.

    i'd try disabling security, get it working, then add security after.

+ Reply to Thread