No of supplicants that an authenticator can support - PPP

This is a discussion on No of supplicants that an authenticator can support - PPP ; Hi, Can you let me know which field in an EAP packet lets us know about the number of the number of supplicants that an authentiacator can support . Rgds, Vamsi....

  1. No of supplicants that an authenticator can support

    Hi,
    Can you let me know which field in an EAP packet lets us know about
    the number of the number of supplicants that an authentiacator can
    support .
    Rgds,
    Vamsi.

  2. Re: No of supplicants that an authenticator can support

    vamsikrishna_time@rediffmail.com (vamsi) writes:
    > Can you let me know which field in an EAP packet lets us know about
    > the number of the number of supplicants that an authentiacator can
    > support .

    EAP doesn't have supplicants; that's 802.1X.

    I'm not sure what your question means. Do you mean the number of
    actual simultaneous authentication sessions that a given authenticator
    could support? If so, then that's not in the packets at all. It
    might be found in the documentation for the authentication server
    you're using. It's likely to be unspecified.

    Do you mean the number of EAP methods supported? If so, then, no,
    that doesn't appear in the packets either. The client behaves as a
    slave to the authenticator in EAP. When the EAP authenticator asks
    for a particular item (EAP Request), the authenticatee (client) must
    respond with either the requested item (EAP Response) or a message
    saying "sorry, I don't know what you're saying" (EAP Nak).

    The number of supported methods (and the identity of them) might be
    listed in the product documentation. But be aware that an EAP server
    as implemented in either an 802.1X access device or a PPP server may
    well just be a proxy to an external RADIUS or DIAMETER server. In
    that case, it's really the capabilities of that backend authentication
    server that are of interest.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group