demand dial ppp keeps exiting - PPP

This is a discussion on demand dial ppp keeps exiting - PPP ; I am currently running pppd with the demand option enabled. This works great, but occasionally the pppd crashes and exits. I don't tell it to stop running but for some reason it will. I have tried to put this into ...

  1. demand dial ppp keeps exiting

    I am currently running pppd with the demand option enabled. This
    works great, but occasionally the pppd crashes and exits. I don't
    tell it to stop running but for some reason it will. I have tried to
    put this into teh /etc/inittab so that pppd will respawn after it
    stops, but this just continually respawns pppd and I end up with about
    100 ppp instances opened before I can stop it. So clearly the inittab
    entry is just continually respawning. Any tips, or hints in what to
    look at. The demand dial problem is occuring on three different linux
    boxes right now and I would like to get the problem figured out before
    I deploy the next 10 computers.

    Thank you for all your help and insite.

  2. Re: demand dial ppp keeps exiting

    I forgot to mention that I am also running these computers as dial in
    servers so I have mgetty running to answer the modem. This then
    starts pppd using a server file. For demand dial I am running pppd
    with a dialer configuration file.

  3. Re: demand dial ppp keeps exiting

    Alright, this is getting me no where fast so let me change what I am
    looking for.

    My PPP works! My problem is that occasionally it comes down, while it
    should remain running at all times. The problem is that the computer
    is located remotely so there is no user sitting there that can restart
    the pppd daemon. What I would like to do is to write a script that
    checks to see if pppd is running. If it is not, then the script
    should restart pppd, if it's running then the script will wait some
    time and check again. Continually makeing sure that I have a ppp0
    connection that is ready to dial-out whenever it is needed. This
    computer also has a dial-in server running. This should always start
    ppp1 since ppp0 should always be running.

  4. Re: demand dial ppp keeps exiting

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]Alright, this is getting me no where fast so let me change what I am
    ]looking for.

    ]My PPP works! My problem is that occasionally it comes down, while it
    ]should remain running at all times. The problem is that the computer
    ]is located remotely so there is no user sitting there that can restart
    ]the pppd daemon. What I would like to do is to write a script that
    ]checks to see if pppd is running. If it is not, then the script
    ]should restart pppd, if it's running then the script will wait some
    ]time and check again. Continually makeing sure that I have a ppp0
    ]connection that is ready to dial-out whenever it is needed. This
    ]computer also has a dial-in server running. This should always start
    ]ppp1 since ppp0 should always be running.

    You do not say what the operating system is. On Linux/Unix, a program
    called cron is there run programs periodically.
    Alternatively you could set up a script to be called from /etc/ppp/ip-down
    which would restart ppp if ip-down is run (I would write another script
    which puts in a 10 or 20 sec delay so that it would start ppp after the
    current ppp went down or else you could get port inflation. If ppp0 is
    still in use ppp will pick ppp1 to use, etc. Of course this assumes ppp is
    exiting normally (ie running ip-down).

  5. Re: demand dial ppp keeps exiting

    I ended up using a script run by cron to make sure the connection is
    running. I was going to build it into the ip-down script but I didn't
    want my dial-in server to execute the script just the dial out server.
    I wrote a basic, check for ppp0 and if it isn't up restart pppd. I
    don't worry about the ppp1 since this is my dial-in path. If ppp0
    crashes and someone dials in I get an error that ppp0 is open for dial
    on demand, but that will disappear as soon as the computer that called
    hangs up. The script runs every 15 minutes and has worked like a
    dream.

+ Reply to Thread