pppd 2.4.1 problem .. cant create ppp0...slack 9.0..solve - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd 2.4.1 problem .. cant create ppp0...slack 9.0..solve - PPP ; unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news: ... > tiltisx@yahoo.com (Stojan) writes: > > > You either do not have > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets > set up properly > (username * password *) > or forgot to use the > user username ...

  1. pppd 2.4.1 problem .. cant create ppp0...slack 9.0..solve

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > tiltisx@yahoo.com (Stojan) writes:
    >

    > You either do not have
    > /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > set up properly
    > (username * password *)
    > or forgot to use the
    > user username
    > option.
    > (username above is the user name on the remote system and password is your
    > password).
    >
    > ]"and do _not_ trim out messages from the logs."
    > ] heh? sorry don't understand .. you mean i didnt paste all from the
    > ]log file? .. it's to big

    heh i've fix it! i again try to use kppp and discover that my
    autentification type was pap but in login commands tab i have those
    lines expect ogin .. etc when i remove that , there was no problem
    whit connection... but from time to time there is message like cant
    find arp proxy ip .. or something like that...

    Do i need proxy arp since there are default gateways and routers for
    routing trafic form router to router than the last router finds phy
    nic address of destination machine ? or maybe i am in wrong ....

  2. Re: pppd 2.4.1 problem .. cant create ppp0...slack 9.0..solve

    tiltisx@yahoo.com (Stojan) writes:
    > heh i've fix it! i again try to use kppp and discover that my
    > autentification type was pap but in login commands tab i have those
    > lines expect ogin .. etc when i remove that , there was no problem
    > whit connection... but from time to time there is message like cant
    > find arp proxy ip .. or something like that...

    Unless your machine is a dial-in server, you almost certainly do not
    want the "proxyarp" option in pppd. If you're using it, either ignore
    the errors (pppd is doing the right thing anyway, even when the option
    is specified in error) or remove it.

    The "proxyarp" option tells the system to look for a local
    broadcast-type interface (such as an Ethernet) that has a subnet
    defined that contains the remote IP address on the PPP link. If it
    finds such an interface, then it will insert a kernel entry so that
    the system answers ARP queries on behalf of that remote IP address.

    If you're dialing into your ISP with pppd, it's hard to imagine a
    situation in which you'd want to do that. It's very useful for
    creating small dial-in servers. (That is, if you wanted to build your
    own small ISP.)

    > Do i need proxy arp since there are default gateways and routers for
    > routing trafic form router to router than the last router finds phy
    > nic address of destination machine ? or maybe i am in wrong ....

    I don't know what you're saying here.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: pppd 2.4.1 problem .. cant create ppp0...slack 9.0..solve

    James Carlson writes:

[...]

    Proxyarp is where one machine answers for another. For example if you have
    a ppp connection from a single machine (address A) to a machine on a net
    (address B on the same subnet as A) then when the gateway machine on the
    net B is connected to asks for he ARP of A by sending out a broadcast, B
    will answer with its own MAC address Thus the gateway will send any traffic
    destined for A to the machine B. B presumably know what to do with the
    traffic (ie forward it to A). Thus a single machine NEVER needs proxyarp.

+ Reply to Thread