ppp ipx problems - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp ipx problems - PPP ; Hello, I'm really in a jam here. I'm trying to setup Poptop PPTP server. I am using pppd 2.4.2b3. I'm trying to connect a Windows XP workstation with the NWLink IPX/SPX protocol to my Poptop server and I get this ...

  1. ppp ipx problems

    Hello,

    I'm really in a jam here. I'm trying to setup Poptop PPTP server. I am using
    pppd 2.4.2b3. I'm trying to connect a Windows XP workstation with the NWLink
    IPX/SPX protocol to my Poptop server and I get this messge from pppd:

    Unsupported protocol 'Novell IPX Control Protocol' (0x802b) received

    I have ipx enabled in the ppp.conf file:

    ipx:
    ipx
    ipx-routing 2 (RIP)
    ipx-router-name gate
    ipx-network 0000000
    ipx-node 40:0
    ipx-accept-remote

    I've heard I have to have an ipx enabled kernel. How do I find out if my
    kernel is configured for ipx?

    Thanks,
    Richard

  2. Re: ppp ipx problems

    "Richard Plourde" writes:
    > I have ipx enabled in the ppp.conf file:

    Your what file? Unless you've got some sort of local modifications,
    pppd uses /etc/ppp/options.

    > I've heard I have to have an ipx enabled kernel. How do I find out if my
    > kernel is configured for ipx?

    This looks like a good starting point:

    http://astrolog.offline.ee/linux/ppp-ipx.shtml

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: ppp ipx problems

    Richard Plourde wrote:

    > I've heard I have to have an ipx enabled kernel. How do I find out if my
    > kernel is configured for ipx?

    If you have the kernel source directory from which the kernel was
    built then cd to the top of it and type "make menuconfig" . Look under
    "Networking options --->" to see if IPX is enabled.

    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
    RFC 1122 */

+ Reply to Thread