Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN - PPP

This is a discussion on Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN - PPP ; I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever returned. This ...

  1. Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN

    I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure
    website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to
    connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever
    returned. This only happens when I try to access these sites as a
    client computer on a LAN with shared Internet connection. I have no
    problem accessing the secure websites using the host computer. I also
    changed the client computer to host and
    that enabled me to access secure sites. I should also mention a
    secure site/item is always the cause for my browser's inability to
    connect to a site, that there are some secure sites that I can access
    (althought it seems if it happens at a slower speed).

    I didn't have this problem when I used to connect to the Internet
    using a dail-up connection. The problem started when I installed my
    broadband wireless connection. As a novice I am not sure which
    protocol the wireless connection use but I have noticed settings for
    PAP, MPAP, CHAP and that type of stuff that is different from the
    dialup connection.

    I have tried a range of options to resolve the issue including:
    - Changing/disabling the firewall on client and host computer
    - Reinstalling Windows XP on both client and host computer
    - Trying different browsers
    - Toggling with SSL and encrypting settings
    - Toggling with the IPSec policies and even removing it with "net stop
    policyagent"

    Please feel free to forward this message to anyone/any newsgroup that
    you think might be better able to assist.

    Thanks in advance

    Pierre

  2. Re: Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN

    pierrevr@webmail.co.za (Pierre van Rooyen) writes:

[...]

    I suspect this has absolutely nothing to do with ppp. It might be a
    problem caused by NAT (Network Address Translation) going on either
    with the firewall software in the host, or in the modem.

+ Reply to Thread