commad mode and GPRS at the same time - PPP

This is a discussion on commad mode and GPRS at the same time - PPP ; I am using GPRS and PPP and want at the same time as I have a GPRS dataconnection alos query the modem about the Signal strenght "AT++CSQ" Is this possible? I noticed some phones support virtual SerialPorts (Siemens mc35) Is ...

  1. commad mode and GPRS at the same time

    I am using GPRS and PPP and want at the same time as I have a GPRS
    dataconnection alos query the modem about the Signal strenght "AT++CSQ"

    Is this possible?

    I noticed some phones support virtual SerialPorts (Siemens mc35)
    Is there any plans on support for that in PPP

    I am using the latest and greatest ppp software from ...samba.org/ppp...

    Best Regards
    Andy

  2. Re: commad mode and GPRS at the same time

    "Song Networks" writes:
    > I am using GPRS and PPP and want at the same time as I have a GPRS
    > dataconnection alos query the modem about the Signal strenght "AT++CSQ"
    >
    > Is this possible?

    Currently, in pppd, no.

    Theoretically, one could modify the kernel bits (you didn't mention
    it, and pppd runs on a variety of systems, but I'm wildly guessing
    that you might be using Linux) so that they pause the data stream,
    drop the modem to command mode (either using the hackish "+++"
    mechanism or the more reliable AT&D1 DTR mechanism), send the AT
    command, gather the response, send ATO to go back on-line, and restart
    the data stream.

    I don't know of any implementations of such a thing, though, and
    making it reliable and usable would be quite a challenge.

    Some commercial modem components have out-of-band monitoring
    interfaces. When I worked at Xylogics / Bay Networks, we used these
    in our communications servers to provide on-line call status for
    administrators. That worked fairly well, but I can't imagine how
    dodgy the implementation would have been if we had to do it in-band.

    > I noticed some phones support virtual SerialPorts (Siemens mc35)
    > Is there any plans on support for that in PPP

    None that I know of.

    > I am using the latest and greatest ppp software from ...samba.org/ppp...

    This isn't really the best place to ask about new features in pppd.
    ppp-bugs@dp.samba.org and (for the kernel bits)
    linux-ppp@vger.kernel.org might be better places.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group