'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets? - PPP

This is a discussion on 'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets? - PPP ; I've been connecting quite happily to my ISP using PPP and diald on a Linux box. I now want to connect to a different ISP. It dials, then immediately drops the connection and redials. It's not obvious to me from ...

  1. 'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets?

    I've been connecting quite happily to my ISP using PPP and diald on a
    Linux box. I now want to connect to a different ISP.

    It dials, then immediately drops the connection and redials. It's not
    obvious to me from the log what's going on. My username for this second
    ISP has both a forward slash and an 'at' symbol in it. I've put it in
    quotes in pap-secrets, but I wondered if it could be these characters
    which were causing the problem, and whether I need to escape them or
    something?
    --
    Steve Loft

  2. Re: 'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets?

    Steve Loft wrote:
    > I've been connecting quite happily to my ISP using PPP and diald on a
    > Linux box. I now want to connect to a different ISP.

    > It dials, then immediately drops the connection and redials. It's not
    > obvious to me from the log what's going on. My username for this second

    If it's not obvious to you from the log then how obvious do you think
    it is to anyone without the log messages?

    > ISP has both a forward slash and an 'at' symbol in it. I've put it in
    > quotes in pap-secrets, but I wondered if it could be these characters
    > which were causing the problem, and whether I need to escape them or
    > something?

    I've never had special characters in a secret and so can't give a good
    answer to the question. If it turns out to be causing the problem then
    I'd say do cut-and-try until you find the answer.

    Since you've said the connection is immediately dropped there is a good
    chance it is not the problem, since it usually takes time to reach the
    authentication stage - although, admittedly, a short time.

    The best thing you could do at this point is to add the pppd debug
    option and the chat -v option (assuming chat is used) - ah, no, I see
    you use diald, so configure it for maximum verbosity - and post exact
    copies (cut-and-paste) of the related log messages. Here they are found
    in /var/log/{debug,messages} but you mileage may vary. If you'd like
    I'll post a recipe that should put all the messages in one log, unless
    diald chooses some other log for it's messages.

    Bottom line: We need verbose log messages to offer further help.

    /* On Linux be root, on Windows reboot.
    -Josef Müllers */

  3. Re: 'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets?

    I wrote:

    > It dials, then immediately drops the connection and redials.

    Forgot to change the username in /etc/diald.conf! Oops. Apologies.
    --
    Steve Loft

  4. Re: 'Funny' characters allowed in ppp-secrets?

    Steve Loft writes:

    ]I've been connecting quite happily to my ISP using PPP and diald on a
    ]Linux box. I now want to connect to a different ISP.

    ]It dials, then immediately drops the connection and redials. It's not
    ]obvious to me from the log what's going on. My username for this second
    ]ISP has both a forward slash and an 'at' symbol in it. I've put it in
    ]quotes in pap-secrets, but I wondered if it could be these characters
    ]which were causing the problem, and whether I need to escape them or
    ]something?

    Could be. HOwever, there is absolutely no way we can know. Post the
    debug log output.
    Put debug into /etc/ppp/options, put
    daemon/*;local2.* /var/log/ppplog
    into /etc/syslog.conf
    run the command
    killall -1 syslogd
    run ppp and post the output from the ppplog file.

+ Reply to Thread