carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86 - PPP

This is a discussion on carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86 - PPP ; When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to ...

  1. carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?

  2. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    joao coelho wrote:
    > When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    > the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    > does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    > configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?

    I'm using Linux and so the Linux version of pppd. When I disconnected
    my external modem by removing the line at the wall plug pppd died a few
    seconds later. There's nothing special to configure to make the Linux
    version notice a disconnect and exit.

    Perhaps it's indigenous to the Solaris version of pppd and, hopefully,
    someone else can provide a better answer.

  3. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    ]joao coelho wrote:
    ]> When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    ]> the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    ]> does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    ]> configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?

    It probably is a setting on the modem-- dropping the DCD line or
    something to let the computer know that something has happened.
    Alternatively use the LCP-echo stuff. This is the kind of situation it
    was designed for.

  4. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > ]joao coelho wrote:
    > ]> When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    > ]> the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    > ]> does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    > ]> configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?
    >
    > It probably is a setting on the modem-- dropping the DCD line or
    > something to let the computer know that something has happened.
    > Alternatively use the LCP-echo stuff. This is the kind of situation it
    > was designed for.

    I am running ppp on solaris x86 9. We want to have ppp run
    indefinitely while the modem is on. But if someone disconnects the
    phone line then we would liket to have pppd recognize that the line
    was dropped and to stop. I wrote a small
    program that keeps tabs on the Carrier detect. It loops and checks for
    various
    line values, it shows when CD goes up and down. However, if i run
    pppd then run my utility, i cannot access the port. I use ioctl(fdes,
    TCIOCMGET,&status)
    i get an error number of 22 or invalid parameter. What appears to be
    happening is that pppd under sun is preventing any other programs from
    accessing the port, because as soon as i kill pppd my utility starts
    showing the status on CD.
    Any suggestions or ideas ?

  5. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    joao coelho wrote:
    > unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message

    >> It probably is a setting on the modem-- dropping the DCD line or
    >> something to let the computer know that something has happened.
    >> Alternatively use the LCP-echo stuff. This is the kind of situation it
    >> was designed for.

    > I am running ppp on solaris x86 9. We want to have ppp run
    > indefinitely while the modem is on. But if someone disconnects the
    > phone line then we would liket to have pppd recognize that the line
    > was dropped and to stop.

    If you want to detect a carrier loss up then detection depends in part
    on the modem configuration. Using minicom you should be able to enter
    the at&v command to see what modem settings profile is set. It should
    include &C1 .

    That setting is the one that makes the modem follow the state of the
    remote's carrier.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* In his wisdom RMS decided that people need no man pages when they can
    use GNU's beautiful info system.
    Unfortunately, everybody I know greatly prefers man pages.
    - From the man-pages-1.55/man1/README */

  6. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    Hi,

    Make sure that you do not include local in the options file.
    What is your /etc/ppp/options file used by pppd process?

    Goh Choon Lye
    Senior Software Engineer
    Willowglen Services Pte Ltd

    \\\\|////
    ( O O )
    ---oOOo--U--oOOo--->
    Clifford Kite wrote:

    > joao coelho wrote:
    > > When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    > > the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    > > does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    > > configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?

    > I'm using Linux and so the Linux version of pppd. When I disconnected
    > my external modem by removing the line at the wall plug pppd died a few
    > seconds later. There's nothing special to configure to make the Linux
    > version notice a disconnect and exit.
    >
    > Perhaps it's indigenous to the Solaris version of pppd and, hopefully,
    > someone else can provide a better answer.
    >
    > --
    > Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    > PPP-Q&A links, downloads: http://ckite.no-ip.net/

  7. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    Clifford Kite wrote in message news:...
    > joao coelho wrote:
    > > unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message

    > >> It probably is a setting on the modem-- dropping the DCD line or
    > >> something to let the computer know that something has happened.
    > >> Alternatively use the LCP-echo stuff. This is the kind of situation it
    > >> was designed for.

    > > I am running ppp on solaris x86 9. We want to have ppp run
    > > indefinitely while the modem is on. But if someone disconnects the
    > > phone line then we would liket to have pppd recognize that the line
    > > was dropped and to stop.

    > If you want to detect a carrier loss up then detection depends in part
    > on the modem configuration. Using minicom you should be able to enter
    > the at&v command to see what modem settings profile is set. It should
    > include &C1 .
    >
    > That setting is the one that makes the modem follow the state of the
    > remote's carrier.

    I have set in my chat script the at&c1, but it does not work.
    I also have checked for the options and i have not included local.
    I have tried running a program that checks the lines in the modem and
    if CD gets dropped i can see it being dropped, but if i run the
    program with pppd, when pppd gets connected to the other side, the
    program i wrote to test CD suddenly just gets an error message,
    invalid parameter in my ioctl function call. As this program is an
    infinite loop as soon as pppd gets killed it resumes its check and i
    don't get the error message from my ioctl call. So i am not sure if
    there is a lock on the modem port or what.

  8. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    I have written a small app that checks for CD drops on the modem. I
    mentioned earlier that the function call ioctl(fd,TIOCMGET,&status)
    was returning an invalid parameter when pppd started. I was wrong.
    What happens is that pppd starts and ioctl works fine - gives me a
    status and returns 0 - it's only after the other side responds that i
    start getting the error messages to my ioctl call with invalid
    parameter as the cause of the function failure. Now to make it more
    cumbersome. The ppp on the other side is an older version - it uses
    cu to start the whole process, it does not use chat, and it runs on an
    older version of unixware - i think it's version 3, not sure though.
    I also noticed that while i am running my carrier detect program and
    the other side never responds, eventually the line will drop and pppd
    gets killed automatically. So, why is it that if the connection is on
    and i pull the plug on the port, pppd does not get killed ? My
    options in /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl are:
    oauth,noipdefault,defaultroute,debug,updetach.

    Willowglen RTU wrote in message news:<408BA2D7.47976F8@pacific.net.sg>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Make sure that you do not include local in the options file.
    > What is your /etc/ppp/options file used by pppd process?
    >
    > Goh Choon Lye
    > Senior Software Engineer
    > Willowglen Services Pte Ltd
    >
    > \\\\|////
    > ( O O )
    > ---oOOo--U--oOOo--->
    > ================================================== ===
    > Clifford Kite wrote:
    >
    > > joao coelho wrote:
    > > > When running a pppd connection, if i disconnect the telephone line, in
    > > > the middle of a session, carrier detect drops on the modem but pppd
    > > > does not seem to be aware that the line was disconnected. Do i need to
    > > > configure something on pppd to make pppd aware that CD was dropped ?

    > > I'm using Linux and so the Linux version of pppd. When I disconnected
    > > my external modem by removing the line at the wall plug pppd died a few
    > > seconds later. There's nothing special to configure to make the Linux
    > > version notice a disconnect and exit.
    > >
    > > Perhaps it's indigenous to the Solaris version of pppd and, hopefully,
    > > someone else can provide a better answer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    > > PPP-Q&A links, downloads: http://ckite.no-ip.net/

  9. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    joao coelho wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote in message
    >>
    >> If you want to detect a carrier loss up then detection depends in part
    >> on the modem configuration. Using minicom you should be able to enter
    >> the at&v command to see what modem settings profile is set. It should
    >> include &C1 .
    >>
    >> That setting is the one that makes the modem follow the state of the
    >> remote's carrier.

    > I have set in my chat script the at&c1, but it does not work.

    You must escape the "&" at least once. If the chat script is in a file
    chat accesses with -f then you use AT\&C1 . If the chat script is
    on the chat command line rather than in a file then you use AT\\&C1 .

    > I also have checked for the options and i have not included local.
    > I have tried running a program that checks the lines in the modem and
    > if CD gets dropped i can see it being dropped, but if i run the
    > program with pppd, when pppd gets connected to the other side, the
    > program i wrote to test CD suddenly just gets an error message,
    > invalid parameter in my ioctl function call. As this program is an
    > infinite loop as soon as pppd gets killed it resumes its check and i
    > don't get the error message from my ioctl call. So i am not sure if
    > there is a lock on the modem port or what.

    Pppd changes the configuration of the modem's device file so pppd can use
    it for PPP. Most of the time when pppd exits it resets the device file to
    the original settings. The device file clocal setting is usually disabled
    by Linux before it brings up the PPP link, and crtscts is enabled. FWIW,
    this disables standard input/output I/O for accessing the device file.

    I can't say how that translates into device file settings for Sun systems.

    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
    RFC 1122 */

  10. Re: carrier detect drops but goes unnoticed by pppd on solaris x86

    jtcoelho@mail.pt (joao coelho) writes:
    > I have written a small app that checks for CD drops on the modem.

    Why? That's what pppd does itself.

    The symptoms you describe sound like you've got 'tty[ab]-ignore-cd'
    set to 'true' in your eeprom parameters.

    However, it would certainly help to see some debug output from pppd.

    > mentioned earlier that the function call ioctl(fd,TIOCMGET,&status)
    > was returning an invalid parameter when pppd started. I was wrong.
    > What happens is that pppd starts and ioctl works fine - gives me a
    > status and returns 0 - it's only after the other side responds that i
    > start getting the error messages to my ioctl call with invalid
    > parameter as the cause of the function failure.

    Without seeing the code, it's hard to say why that might be. But I
    don't think the code you're using is necessary or helpful -- holding
    the tty open in a separate process (and ignoring the UUCP-style
    locking conventions that pppd uses) is just asking for trouble.

    > and i pull the plug on the port, pppd does not get killed ? My
    > options in /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl are:
    > oauth,noipdefault,defaultroute,debug,updetach.

    "oauth?"

    The rest looks fine.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group