Dear all,

I use pppd 2.4.2b1 with a Siemens MC35i GSM/GPRS modem and
occasionally the pppd fails with the following:

at
OK
at+cgdcont=1,ip,gprsmms
OK
atdt*99***1#
CONNECT
Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua/b
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]
rcvd [LCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 0xeab5baf8> ]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 0xeab5baf8> ]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3
]
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5
]
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x5 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x7
]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x7
]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0> ]
rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x8 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15
03 2f]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0> ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1
]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x2 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 ]
Couldn't set local IP address: Cannot assign requested address
Interface configuration failed
ioctl(set NP 33 mode to 1): Invalid argument
sent [IPCP TermReq id=0x4 "Interface configuration failed"]
rcvd [IPCP TermAck id=0x4 "Interface configuration failed"]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x9]
sent [LCP TermAck id=0x9]
rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
Connection terminated.

The IPCP messages show that the local ip was negotiated without any
problems. The ProtRej message as well is a bit worrying. It seems
that the two layers are not fully synced at that point. any ideas on
what might be causing this "Cannot assign requested address" error in
conjuction with the ioctl failing with an Invalid argument error?

As I suggested I am using a GPRS account with a GSM/GPRS modem. My
config is:

connect './chat -v -e -f ./chat_script'
noauth
noipdefault