RH 9 Modem Connection Problem - PPP

This is a discussion on RH 9 Modem Connection Problem - PPP ; I have a problem with connecting to my ISP with RH 9 and it is driving me nuts. What is happening is that when I go to connect to my IPS using the Gnome Network tool , I keep getting ...

  1. RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    I have a problem with connecting to my ISP with RH 9 and it is driving me
    nuts.

    What is happening is that when I go to connect to my IPS using the Gnome
    Network tool , I keep getting the error messages "Can not activate network
    device " and "Failed to activate - error 8 "

    The modem I have is a full hardware modem , DynaLink 56K , V90 with a
    Rockwell chipset and I have never had any problems with it connecting to my
    ISP , the problem I have has something to do with the scripts that create
    the connection to my ISP.

    Before , I could connect to my ISP without any problems , up until last week
    when I used Up2date and updated everything to kernel 2.4.20.30.9 and started
    to set up a network with my other computer which is also running RH 9.

    This problem started with being able to connect ,but getting all phone noise
    static after being connect and after trying to stop the phone line noise , I
    can't even connect now.

    I can't connect using the Gnome Network tool , I can connect using KPPP ,
    but after the connection , it fails at the authorisation script / process
    and I can connect using ppp and the text scripts , but I can't web brows or
    use mail /news.

    I have tried everything , deleted all the Lan settings I put in , except
    127.0.0.1 , added another modem device , remove modem devices , remove modem
    adapter , add modem adapter , did the whole lot again by deleting the modem
    device and adapter , shutdown , unplugged the modem , boot up , shutdown
    again and got RH to detect the modem again.

    I have also checked all the scripts like ifcfg-pp0 , ifdown-ppp , ifup-ppp,
    network functions , network-scripts wdial.conf . ppp/peers/ wvdial
    , ifcfg-

    I also have been getting a problem of trying to edit the modem properties in
    Gnome Network Configuration tool , when I go to change some of the settings
    , they won't stick , and they revert back to their previous settings , no
    matter what I do , save the changes , delete /edit the setting in different
    ways , start / stopped network services , rebooted the system ....etc

    I have finally got my modem settings back to the original ones before I
    started having these problems.

    After all this , I ended up checking the system logs and what they show is
    that when I go to connect , the program WvDial version 1.53 that reads the
    text file , wvdial.conf doesn't read the fields for ISP phone number , user
    name , user password ,even though these parameters are listed in
    wvidial.conf.

    This is what the system log shows after trying to connect using the Gnome
    Network tool

    Feb 29 07:06:01 localhost ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/ttyS0 at
    115200
    Feb 29 07:06:01 localhost pppd[5056]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Warning: section [Dialer ppp0] does
    not exist in wvdial.conf.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Initializing modem.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Sending: ATZ
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: ATZ
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: OK
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Modem initialized.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
    valid phone number.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
    valid login name.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
    valid password.
    Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost pppd[5056]: Connect script failed
    Feb 29 07:06:03 localhost pppd[5056]: Exit.

    It appears that maybe one of the configuration files along the way hasn't
    retained the settings for phone number , login name and password , even
    though they have been entered and saved using the Gnome Network
    Configuration tool,

    Here is two of the main files
    -----------------------------
    File : ifcfg-

    # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
    # for the documentation of these parameters.
    USERCTL=yes
    PEERDNS=yes
    ONBOOT=no
    TYPE=Modem
    DEVICE=ppp0
    BOOTPROTO=dialup
    CCP=off
    PC=off
    AC=off
    BSDCOMP=off
    VJ=on
    VJCCOMP=off
    LINESPEED=115200
    MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
    IDLETIMEOUT=600
    PROVIDER=**** # removed for posting
    DEFROUTE=yes
    PERSIST=no
    PAPNAME=******* # removed for posting
    WVDIALSECT=**** # removed for posting
    MODEMNAME=Modem0
    DEMAND=no

    ---------------------------
    File : wvdial.conf

    Modem0]
    Modem = /dev/ttyS0
    Baud = 115200
    SetVolume = 2
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATM2
    FlowControl = CRTSCTS
    [Dialer iinet]
    Username = ******* # removed for posting
    Password = ****** # removed for posting
    Phone = ******* # removed for posting
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Init3 = M1
    Inherits = Modem0
    ------------------------------

    I have spent all night for 2 nights in a row trying to fix this
    problem and I stuffed if I know what to do and it is really starting to piss
    me off , I have never had any problems like this before.

    Can anybody tell me how to fix the problem or at least give me some idea of
    what's going on with all these config files.

    Thanks.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    "Sandgroper" writes:
    > File : ifcfg-

    [...]
    > WVDIALSECT=**** # removed for posting

    I hope that's "iinet". If it's not, then that's a problem.

    > File : wvdial.conf
    >
    > Modem0]

    Is that literally what's in the file? If so, then the file is
    corrupt. That should start with:

    [Modem0]

    Note the leading "[".

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    "James Carlson" wrote in message
    > "Sandgroper" writes:
    > > File : ifcfg-

    > [...]
    > > WVDIALSECT=**** # removed for posting

    > I hope that's "iinet". If it's not, then that's a problem.
    >
    > > File : wvdial.conf
    > >
    > > Modem0]

    > Is that literally what's in the file? If so, then the file is
    > corrupt. That should start with:
    >
    > [Modem0]
    >
    > Note the leading "[".

    Thanks for replying to my post.
    I rechecked the points you made and they seem correct , I missed out the "["
    when I pasted the file into the Ng post.
    I also have the correct ISP entered in with the other entry.

    I went and remove the device modem and hardware modem entries in the Network
    Configuration tool and rebooted , shutdown again and rebooted again to clear
    everything and then went through the whole process of using the Internet
    Connection Wizard to install my modem and still the same thing , I keep
    getting the error message , "Can not Activate Network Device iiNet" and
    "Failed to Activate - Error 8 "

    I will repost the new files that I think are relevant , can you please have
    a look at them to see if there are any errors.
    This time I have only deleted my username , password and ISP phone number.

    ----------------------------
    /etc/wvdial.conf

    [Modem0]
    Modem = /dev/ttyS0
    Baud = 115200
    SetVolume = 2
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATM2
    FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
    [Dialer iiNet]
    Username = ******* # removed , it's correct
    Password = ******* # removed , it's correct
    Phone = ******* # removed , it's correct
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Inherits = Modem0
    ---------------------------
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

    # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
    # for the documentation of these parameters.
    USERCTL=yes
    PEERDNS=yes
    ONBOOT=no
    TYPE=Modem
    DEVICE=ppp0
    BOOTPROTO=dialup
    CCP=off
    PC=off
    AC=off
    BSDCOMP=off
    VJ=on
    VJCCOMP=off
    LINESPEED=115200
    MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
    PROVIDER=iiNet
    DEFROUTE=yes
    PERSIST=no
    PAPNAME=****** # removed , it's correct
    WVDIALSECT=iiNet
    MODEMNAME=Modem0
    DEMAND=no
    IDLETIMEOUT=600

    ---------------------------
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-iiNet

[...]
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-iiNet

[...]
    ------------------------------------

    The only other thing that I can think of doing is to physically remove my
    modem and ethernet card , reboot , to remove all the network settings off my
    machine and then shutdown and then reboot the machine and let RH re-detect
    both the modem and ethernet card.
    Do you think this would work ?

    Thanks for your time.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  4. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    "Sandgroper" writes:
    > The only other thing that I can think of doing is to physically remove my
    > modem and ethernet card , reboot , to remove all the network settings off my
    > machine and then shutdown and then reboot the machine and let RH re-detect
    > both the modem and ethernet card.
    > Do you think this would work ?

    No. What's up with all the rebooting? You should _never_ need to
    reboot. Linux != Windows.

    Your configuration files look ok to me. I'm afraid you're going to
    have to look around for someone with more wvdial experience, since it
    sounds like the problem is in wvdial rather than in PPP itself.

    I personally don't bother with wvdial; I just use plain old pppd. I
    think it's much easier to avoid the "ease of use" wrapper tools.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  5. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    > "Sandgroper" writes:
    > > The only other thing that I can think of doing is to physically remove

    my
    > > modem and ethernet card , reboot , to remove all the network settings

    off my
    > > machine and then shutdown and then reboot the machine and let RH

    re-detect
    > > both the modem and ethernet card.
    > > Do you think this would work ?

    > No. What's up with all the rebooting? You should _never_ need to
    > reboot. Linux != Windows.

    The idea of rebooting is so that Linux can remove /clean up all the files
    that are not needed after removing the modem , so I am told.

    > Your configuration files look ok to me. I'm afraid you're going to
    > have to look around for someone with more wvdial experience, since it
    > sounds like the problem is in wvdial rather than in PPP itself.

    From some of the articles that I have read lately , it appears that it my be
    a problem with wvdial and the use of ATZ instead of AT&F command , the ATZ
    command resets to the previous stored modem configuration , hangs up and
    clears the command buffer.

    I have been given a link to a web site to read , it is really helpful and
    detailed about pppd and how to set up an internet connection , I will print
    it all out and go through all my files and find out exactly what the problem
    could be.

    > I personally don't bother with wvdial; I just use plain old pppd. I
    > think it's much easier to avoid the "ease of use" wrapper tools.

    Yes , it appears that wvdial may have some problems and it is very hard to
    fix if things go wrong , so if I can't fix the problem , then I will have to
    use pppd and create a start and stop scripts for the desktop.
    I originally did that when I first installed RH 9 , but I had no way of
    knowing if I was still connected while in Gnome , so I used the Network tool
    so that I can see if the modem is still active.

    Anyway , thanks for your comments , they are welcomed.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    "Sandgroper" writes:
    > From some of the articles that I have read lately , it appears that it my be
    > a problem with wvdial and the use of ATZ instead of AT&F command , the ATZ
    > command resets to the previous stored modem configuration , hangs up and
    > clears the command buffer.

    That certainly could be a problem -- AT&F sets factory defaults and is
    usually preferred over ATZ, which just restores whatever happens to be
    saved in EEROM.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  7. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "Sandgroper" writes:
    >> The only other thing that I can think of doing is to physically remove my
    >> modem and ethernet card, reboot, to remove all the network settings off my
    >> machine and then shutdown and then reboot the machine and let RH re-detect
    >> both the modem and ethernet card.
    >> Do you think this would work ?

    > No. What's up with all the rebooting? You should _never_ need to
    > reboot. Linux != Windows.

    Yes, but some Linux distributors do cause some key files to be rewritten
    upon booting, something that no amount of rationalization should be able
    justify. I think Red Hat (RH) is one such distributor.

    > Your configuration files look ok to me. I'm afraid you're going to
    > have to look around for someone with more wvdial experience, since it
    > sounds like the problem is in wvdial rather than in PPP itself.

    > I personally don't bother with wvdial; I just use plain old pppd. I
    > think it's much easier to avoid the "ease of use" wrapper tools.

    Absolutely! (I swore long ago to never use anything with "ez" in
    the title.) When the wrappers work, things are good, but when they
    don't then there's often .... to pay in order to make them work,
    and it may not even be possible to do so within the confines of the
    wrapper configuration.

    A simple shell script to launch pppd with chat configured to make the
    modem-to-DCE connection has everything to recommend it. IMHO.

    /* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its
    * citizens. */

  8. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    > James Carlson wrote:
    > > "Sandgroper" writes:
    > >> The only other thing that I can think of doing is to physically remove

    my
    > >> modem and ethernet card, reboot, to remove all the network settings off

    my
    > >> machine and then shutdown and then reboot the machine and let RH

    re-detect
    > >> both the modem and ethernet card.
    > >> Do you think this would work ?

    > > No. What's up with all the rebooting? You should _never_ need to
    > > reboot. Linux != Windows.

    > Yes, but some Linux distributors do cause some key files to be rewritten
    > upon booting, something that no amount of rationalization should be able
    > justify. I think Red Hat (RH) is one such distributor.

    Yes , one of the things I have been told by someone that has been using RH
    for years ( college lecturer) is that never delete your ethernet card ,
    especially the hardware entry in RH Gnome , otherwise you will have all
    sorts of trouble and the only way to fix it is to remove the ethernet card ,
    boot up the system , get RH to remove the associated files , shutdown ,
    re-install the ethernet card and reboot to get RH to detect the card again.

    > > Your configuration files look ok to me. I'm afraid you're going to
    > > have to look around for someone with more wvdial experience, since it
    > > sounds like the problem is in wvdial rather than in PPP itself.

    > > I personally don't bother with wvdial; I just use plain old pppd. I
    > > think it's much easier to avoid the "ease of use" wrapper tools.

    > Absolutely! (I swore long ago to never use anything with "ez" in
    > the title.) When the wrappers work, things are good, but when they
    > don't then there's often .... to pay in order to make them work,
    > and it may not even be possible to do so within the confines of the
    > wrapper configuration.
    >
    > A simple shell script to launch pppd with chat configured to make the
    > modem-to-DCE connection has everything to recommend it. IMHO.

    That is what I originally had , two scripts , a start script and a stop
    script on the desktop to launch pppd and to kill the connection , but the
    problem I found with it is that you had no way of knowing if you were
    connected , other than watching the modem lights.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  9. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > "Clifford Kite" wrote in message

    >> A simple shell script to launch pppd with chat configured to make the
    >> modem-to-DCE connection has everything to recommend it. IMHO.

    > That is what I originally had , two scripts , a start script and a stop
    > script on the desktop to launch pppd and to kill the connection , but the
    > problem I found with it is that you had no way of knowing if you were
    > connected , other than watching the modem lights.

    To find out when the PPP link comes up you might use the pppd updetach
    (or nodetach if you prefer) option with the ipparam option set as

    ipparam $(tty)

    and put

    echo The PPP link is up. > ${6}

    in /etc/ppp/ip-up. (or maybe you should use RH's ip-up.local(?) :/)

    A similar "down" message can be put into ip-down. Other information
    can be viewed this way, e.g., the local IP address. See man pppd for
    a list of the arguments that pppd gives the ip-{up,down} scripts.

    "Continuous" monitoring is another thing, AFAIK a work-around of some
    kind is needed for that.

    /* Better is the enemy of good enough. */

  10. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    Clifford Kite writes:
    > "Continuous" monitoring is another thing, AFAIK a work-around of some
    > kind is needed for that.

    It's a bit scary, but I put "xv -display $6 /path/to/some/bitmap &" in
    /etc/ppp/ip-up and a corresponding kill into /etc/ppp/ip-down on my
    father-in-law's system to mimic Windows behavior here. He seems to
    like it, but it's not something *I* would do on my own systems. ;-}

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  11. Re: RH 9 Modem Connection Problem

    > Sandgroper wrote:
    > > "Clifford Kite" wrote in message

    > >> A simple shell script to launch pppd with chat configured to make the
    > >> modem-to-DCE connection has everything to recommend it. IMHO.

    > > That is what I originally had , two scripts , a start script and a stop
    > > script on the desktop to launch pppd and to kill the connection , but

    the
    > > problem I found with it is that you had no way of knowing if you were
    > > connected , other than watching the modem lights.

    > To find out when the PPP link comes up you might use the pppd updetach
    > (or nodetach if you prefer) option with the ipparam option set as
    >
    > ipparam $(tty)
    >
    > and put
    >
    > echo The PPP link is up. > ${6}
    >
    > in /etc/ppp/ip-up. (or maybe you should use RH's ip-up.local(?) :/)
    >
    > A similar "down" message can be put into ip-down. Other information
    > can be viewed this way, e.g., the local IP address. See man pppd for
    > a list of the arguments that pppd gives the ip-{up,down} scripts.
    >
    > "Continuous" monitoring is another thing, AFAIK a work-around of some
    > kind is needed for that.

    Thanks for the suggestions , I will look into putting those entries into the
    relevant files .
    Now that I know what files to use , I may be able to expand on your
    suggestions and see if I can come up with other entries for those files for
    showing the status of an ISP connection.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au