help me locate where these mysterious chat commands are coming from - PPP

This is a discussion on help me locate where these mysterious chat commands are coming from - PPP ; Hi, I know this is a pretty weak question, so thx in advance. I am using an embedded linux box (debian woody, 2.4 kernel). I have a pcmcia modem. I have a chat script, and a peers file. While watching ...

  1. help me locate where these mysterious chat commands are coming from

    Hi,

    I know this is a pretty weak question, so thx in advance.

    I am using an embedded linux box (debian woody, 2.4 kernel).

    I have a pcmcia modem. I have a chat script, and a peers file.

    While watching the tail of /var/log/messages, I see that there is a chat
    alarm. I think this means that chat timed out while waiting for the
    previous command. The previous command is:
    send (AT^M)

    .... but that is NOT in my chat script!!

    I am using a sprint merlin C201 cdma modem, that is VERY specific from a
    configuration perspective. I have this card working on another machine
    that does not issue an AT^MM. Can someone help me find where this is
    coming from, so that I can eliminate it?

    Thanks again,
    TJ

  2. Re: help me locate where these mysterious chat commands are coming from

    ok - so I guess that is the universal code for emulating the "enter key".

    no matter... it still times out. When I open minicom, the modem is
    initialized immediately and responds to basic AT commands no problem.

    I use pppd: 2.4.1

    These are the settings that I duplicated from another machine (with a
    different distribution of linux) that work:

    # setserial /dev/modem baud_base 460800
    # pppd call cdma

    /etc/ppp/peers/cdma:
    /dev/modem
    230400
    mtu 576
    mru 576
    modem
    lock
    crtscts
    defaultroute
    lcp-echo-failure 0
    lcp-echo-interval 0
    novj
    persist
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-merlinC201'
    user usernamehere

    chat-merlin201C:
    "" AT
    OK ATZ
    OK ATE0V1
    OK AT_IFC=2,2
    OK ATDT#777

  3. Re: help me locate where these mysterious chat commands are coming from

    tj writes:

    ]Hi,

    ]I know this is a pretty weak question, so thx in advance.

    ]I am using an embedded linux box (debian woody, 2.4 kernel).

    ]I have a pcmcia modem. I have a chat script, and a peers file.

    ]While watching the tail of /var/log/messages, I see that there is a chat
    ]alarm. I think this means that chat timed out while waiting for the
    ]previous command. The previous command is:
    ]send (AT^M)

    That is a standard wakeup (what would be in your chat script is AT. The
    ^M is the carriage return)
    If the modem does not respond to AT, that usually means it is not
    responding at all.

    ]... but that is NOT in my chat script!!

    What IS your chat script?

    ]I am using a sprint merlin C201 cdma modem, that is VERY specific from a
    ]configuration perspective. I have this card working on another machine
    ]that does not issue an AT^MM. Can someone help me find where this is
    ]coming from, so that I can eliminate it?

    NO. How can we. Unless you pay for me to fly to your place and look at
    your system, you will have to supply enough info so that we have a hope
    of diagnosing the problem remotely.

    ]Thanks again,
    ]TJ

+ Reply to Thread