Dial-on-demand and mgetty - PPP

This is a discussion on Dial-on-demand and mgetty - PPP ; I have all of my ppp working. I have a ppp server setup that will allow me to call into my LAN and get connected. I also have mgetty on my client machine incase I need to get into that ...

  1. Dial-on-demand and mgetty

    I have all of my ppp working. I have a ppp server setup that will
    allow me to call into my LAN and get connected. I also have mgetty on
    my client machine incase I need to get into that for any reason. The
    problem I have is that if I call my client machine to setup the
    connection it connects, but the connection is via ppp1 since the
    dial-on-demand is using ppp0. This results in me not being able to
    actually get a usable connection. Since DOD sets up the default route
    to ppp0 I am not able to get any traffic on the ppp1 interface. Is
    there a way to set these up to both work at the same time? I really
    need to maintain the ability to call my client machine to set up the
    connection so that I have remote access to it. I also need to be able
    to make the connection from the client to the server so that I can
    actually use the client machine. I am not sure exactly how DOD works
    so I am not sure if I can remove the default route and then have it be
    assigned by the connection scripts.

  2. Re: Dial-on-demand and mgetty

    So I got most of this working. I ended up using ip-up.local and
    ip-down.local to adjust the routes to suit my needs. Now I have a
    problem that I need to also implement dial-on-demand on my server. I
    have this working to some extent and I update the routes the same way,
    but for some reason the traffic doesn't find its way back. The route
    is updated to use ppp1 for traffic back to my 192.168.0 subnet.
    Normally this is set to ppp0 because there is dial-on-demand that uses
    ppp0. I remove the ppp0 route and install the ppp1 route but the
    traffic just doesn't make it back.

+ Reply to Thread