Demand Dialing - PPP

This is a discussion on Demand Dialing - PPP ; I am trying to automate my ppp connection so that it dials-on-demand. to do this I need to get my connection automated to use connection scripts. I have two scripts to get this to work. The first is for pppd ...

  1. Demand Dialing

    I am trying to automate my ppp connection so that it dials-on-demand.
    to do this I need to get my connection automated to use connection
    scripts. I have two scripts to get this to work. The first is for
    pppd and is my isp script. The second is for chat and is also an isp
    script but is located in the chat directory. So the two scripts are
    /ppp/peers/isp and /ppp/chat/isp. These two contain the same options
    that I use to connect from the commandline but for some reason the
    connection never happens once I put it all into configuration and
    options files.

    /ppp/peers/isp contains
    /dev/ttyS0
    115200
    lock
    noccp
    novj
    user robert
    proxyarp
    asyncmap 0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    defaultroute
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/isp"
    debug
    demand
    idle 10

    /ppp/chat/isp contains
    ABORT "BUSY"
    ABORT "ERROR"
    ABORT "NO CARRIER"
    ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
    ABORT "NO ANSWER"
    "" "AT"
    OK "ATDTxxxxxxx"
    CONNECT "\d\c"

    My normal commandline connection is obtained with the exact same pppd
    options without the connect, demand, and idle lines
    $>/usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat-v '' AT OK ATDTxxxxxxx
    CONNECT '\d\c'"

    This works when done in the commandline, but the scripts give me a
    serial line not clean, all had bit 7 set to 0 error.

    What am I overlooking when I try to set this as a script. I have been
    using Bill Unruh's tutorial and I can't see what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: Demand Dialing

    Well, I actually got it myself.

    Turns out that I made idle = 30 seconds and it worked.

+ Reply to Thread