Can't get access beyond my ppp server - PPP

This is a discussion on Can't get access beyond my ppp server - PPP ; I have reconfigured my networks and now this is what I have. The viper is the machine I want to have an IP connection, and the linux box is what I am using to actually call the viper computer. The ...

  1. Can't get access beyond my ppp server

    I have reconfigured my networks and now this is what I have. The
    viper is the machine I want to have an IP connection, and the linux
    box is what I am using to actually call the viper computer. The linux
    box has the connection to the internet. I am trying to make it
    possible to call a bunch of similar viper computers from the server
    and give them different class c address. But for now I am trying to
    get the actual ppp interface to work. I can get the interface started
    and I can ping back and forth between the two, but I can't ping
    anything else from the viper board and I am referencing using ip
    numbers not dns. On the linux box ip_forwarding is enabled.
    Currently, I can initiate the communications from the linux box. The
    viper will answer and set its default route to the linux box. Then I
    can ping inbetween the two.

    Viper Settings

    inittab
    ------------------
    S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -n 1 -s 115200 -x 3 /dev/ttyS0

    login.config
    ------------------
    /AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug

    mgetty.config
    ------------------
    debug 3
    port-owner root
    port-group root
    port-mode 0664
    port ttyS0
    speed 115200
    debug 3
    data-only y
    init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATS7=80S0=0E0Q0&D2&C1 OK

    options
    ------------------
    debug
    crtscts
    lock
    modem
    auth
    +pap
    defaultroute
    noipdefault
    ipcp-accept-local
    ipcp-accept-remote
    noccp

    Linux Settings

    pap-secrets
    ---------------------
    "arcom" * "arcom" *

    options
    ------------------
    lock
    crtscts
    asyncmap 0
    proxyarp
    user arcom
    noccp
    debug

    CommandLine to initiate communications

    $>/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    AT OK ATDT6068046 CONNECT '\d\c'"

  2. Re: Can't get access beyond my ppp server

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > I have reconfigured my networks and now this is what I have. The
    > viper is the machine I want to have an IP connection, and the linux
    > box is what I am using to actually call the viper computer. The linux
    > box has the connection to the internet. I am trying to make it
    > possible to call a bunch of similar viper computers from the server
    > and give them different class c address. But for now I am trying to
    > get the actual ppp interface to work. I can get the interface started
    > and I can ping back and forth between the two, but I can't ping
    > anything else from the viper board and I am referencing using ip
    > numbers not dns. On the linux box ip_forwarding is enabled.
    > Currently, I can initiate the communications from the linux box. The
    > viper will answer and set its default route to the linux box. Then I
    > can ping inbetween the two.

    It sounds like you're no longer dealing witha PPP problem, but rather
    a routing problem. This really isn't the right newsgroup for
    resolving such an issue.

    I didn't see anything particularly useful in the configuration
    information posted. Anyone looking at the problem would need the
    routing tables ("netstat -nr") from each of the machines on the path
    between this host and the system it's trying to talk to, including the
    end nodes.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group