pppd / gprs o2-de - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd / gprs o2-de - PPP ; Hi everyone, Im trying to connect to the german o2 gprs network, using slackware 9.1 and pppd 2.4.1. Hardware is Siemens MC35i GSM/GPRS TA. LCP Connection works fine, I can do Chap or Pap Authentification. Anyway, my gprs provider also ...

  1. pppd / gprs o2-de

    Hi everyone,

    Im trying to connect to the german o2 gprs network, using slackware 9.1
    and pppd 2.4.1. Hardware is Siemens MC35i GSM/GPRS TA.

    LCP Connection works fine, I can do Chap or Pap Authentification.
    Anyway, my gprs provider also accepts noauth.

    The Problem is during ICPC Startup.
    -------------

    ..
    ..
    ..
    rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    # Provider rejects that "compression" requested 2 lines above. How can i
    #turn of this request for compression?

    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    Connection terminated.
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    # After the Rejection the Link gets terminated by provider

    ------------

    Heres my /etc/ppp/options. As you can see I tried to switch of all
    compression i found in man pppd.

    #print out debugging info
    debug

    # lock the serial line
    lock

    # Hardware flow control
    crtscts

    # modem device
    ttyS0

    # speed
    38400

    # use no compression
    nopcomp
    nodeflate
    noccp
    nobsdcomp
    noaccomp
    nopredictor1
    novjccomp

    # set the async character map
    asyncmap A0000

    # set the characters to be escaped
    #escape FF

    # IP address - get them from your ISP
    #132.181.15.63:132.181.10.10
    #10.61.177.1:10.61.177.254

    # stop pppd from negoating an ip address
    #noipdefault

    # once we're connected set this to be the default route in the
    # system routing tables
    defaultroute

    # no authorisation required
    #noauth

    # Enables the "passive" option in the LCP. With this
    # option, pppd will attempt to initiate a connection;
    # if no reply is received from the peer, pppd will
    # then just wait passively for a valid LCP packet
    # from the peer, instead of exiting, as it would
    # # without this option.
    passive

    #pppd will accept the peer's idea
    # of our local IP address, even if the local IP
    # address was specified in an option.
    ipcp-accept-local

    # pppd will accept the peer's idea
    # of its (remote) IP address, even if the remote IP
    # address was specified in an option.
    ipcp-accept-remote

    #user name
    # Sets the name used for authenticating the local
    # system to the peer to name.
    user superusername

    ---------------------------
    Any suggestions? Im really stuck with this.

    Thanks.

    --
    my Computer is so fast - it completes an infinite loop in 2min

  2. Re: pppd / gprs o2-de

    Rainer Rother wrote:

> [...]
    > # option, pppd will attempt to initiate a connection;
    > # if no reply is received from the peer, pppd will
    > # then just wait passively for a valid LCP packet
    > # from the peer, instead of exiting, as it would
    > # # without this option.
    > passive
    >
    > #pppd will accept the peer's idea
    > # of our local IP address, even if the local IP
    > # address was specified in an option.
    > ipcp-accept-local
    >
    > # pppd will accept the peer's idea
    > # of its (remote) IP address, even if the remote IP
    > # address was specified in an option.
    > ipcp-accept-remote
    >

    > #user name
    > # Sets the name used for authenticating the local
    > # system to the peer to name.
    > user superusername
    >

    > ---------------------------
    > Any suggestions? Im really stuck with this.

    I managed to switch of the commpression in IPCP Request, using these
    compression related options in /etc/ppp/options:

    -----------
    # use no compression
    #nopcomp
    #nodeflate
    noccp
    nobsdcomp
    noaccomp
    #nopredictor1
    #novjccomp
    novj
    ------------

    Output of pppd is now...

    -------------
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 0xd4f6b96b> ]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5
    ]
    rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <612b011aaef629803278899eeeb12072e0a1eefe>,
    name = ""]
    Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group
    access
    sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <75c4816ffdd527a1b5dab7ad63ee2c4b>, name =
    "superusername"]
    rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    Connection terminated.
    -------------

    Didnt solve my Problem with that LCP termination!

    Perhaps its related to authentification...the chap succeds but im
    using another username as my provider advises to do. Problem is that my
    provider wants "NO USERNAME AT ALL". How can i use "nothing" as
    username with the user option that pppd has?

    When i leave the value for "user" empty in /etc/ppp/options, pppd fails
    complaining about:

    /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/options: too few parameters for option
    'user'

    Do you have any further suggestions why this connection gets terminated?

    --
    my Computer is so fast - it completes an infinite loop in 2min

  3. Re: pppd / gprs o2-de

    Rainer Rother wrote:
    > Rainer Rother wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> Im trying to connect to the german o2 gprs network, using slackware 9.1
    >> and pppd 2.4.1. Hardware is Siemens MC35i GSM/GPRS TA.
    >>
    >> LCP Connection works fine, I can do Chap or Pap Authentification.
    >> Anyway, my gprs provider also accepts noauth.

    Is that the pppd option noauth? That option just tells pppd that the
    remote host doesn't have to authenticate itself.

    > I managed to switch of the commpression in IPCP Request, using these
    > compression related options in /etc/ppp/options:

    > -----------
    > # use no compression
    > #nopcomp
    > #nodeflate
    > noccp
    > nobsdcomp
    > noaccomp
    > #nopredictor1
    > #novjccomp
    > novj
    > ------------

    As you found out, the remote host's rejection of VJ compression wasn't
    the problem.

    > Output of pppd is now...

    > -------------
    > Using interface ppp0
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 > 0xd4f6b96b> ]
    > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5
    > ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5
    > ]
    > rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <612b011aaef629803278899eeeb12072e0a1eefe>,
    > name = ""]
    > Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group
    > access
    > sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <75c4816ffdd527a1b5dab7ad63ee2c4b>, name =
    > "superusername"]
    > rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    > LCP terminated by peer
    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    > Connection terminated.
    > -------------

    > Didnt solve my Problem with that LCP termination!

    > Perhaps its related to authentification...the chap succeds but im
    > using another username as my provider advises to do. Problem is that my
    > provider wants "NO USERNAME AT ALL". How can i use "nothing" as
    > username with the user option that pppd has?

    You can't. Were you assigned real CHAP secret? If not then try using
    "" as the CHAP secret but leave the `client' name the same.

    > When i leave the value for "user" empty in /etc/ppp/options, pppd fails
    > complaining about:

    > /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/options: too few parameters for option
    > 'user'

    Yes, and `user ""' causes pppd to reject CHAP LCP requests.

    > Do you have any further suggestions why this connection gets terminated?

    If using "" as the secret doesn't work then try adding the pppd option
    default-asyncmap and remove `asyncmap A0000'. It may be that the GPRS PPP
    is similar to PPPOE and won't use any asyncmap other than the PPP default.
    And yes, the remote host actually requests asyncmap a0000, but there was a
    post recently on coln where the remote requested asyncmap 0, which pppd
    accepted, with results similar to those here. It turned out that adding
    default-asyncmap worked to get a viable connection.

    As I've remarked before, PPP implementations for GPRS are funky.

    /* "PPPoE has many advantages for DSL service providers, and
    practically none for DSL consumers."
    - David F. Skoll */

  4. Re: pppd / gprs o2-de

    Clifford Kite wrote:

    > Rainer Rother wrote:
    > > Rainer Rother wrote:
    > >> Hi everyone,
    > >>
    > >> Im trying to connect to the german o2 gprs network, using slackware 9.1
    > >> and pppd 2.4.1. Hardware is Siemens MC35i GSM/GPRS TA.
    > >>
    > >> LCP Connection works fine, I can do Chap or Pap Authentification.
    > >> Anyway, my gprs provider also accepts noauth.

    > Is that the pppd option noauth? That option just tells pppd that the
    > remote host doesn't have to authenticate itself.

    Ok. Youre correct.
    Execution of PAP/CHAP authentification depends on wheter the user in
    /etc/ppp/options exits in either /etc/ppp/pap-secrets - chap-secrets.
    Got it.

    > > I managed to switch of the commpression in IPCP Request, using these
    > > compression related options in /etc/ppp/options:

    > > -----------
    > > # use no compression
    > > #nopcomp
    > > #nodeflate
    > > noccp
    > > nobsdcomp
    > > noaccomp
    > > #nopredictor1
    > > #novjccomp
    > > novj
    > > ------------

    > As you found out, the remote host's rejection of VJ compression wasn't
    > the problem.
    >
    > > Output of pppd is now...

    > > -------------
    > > Using interface ppp0
    > > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    > > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 > > 0xd4f6b96b> ]
    > > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
    > > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5
    > > ]
    > > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5
    > > ]
    > > rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <612b011aaef629803278899eeeb12072e0a1eefe>,
    > > name = ""]
    > > Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group
    > > access
    > > sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <75c4816ffdd527a1b5dab7ad63ee2c4b>, name =
    > > "superusername"]
    > > rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    > > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    > > LCP terminated by peer
    > > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    > > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    > > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    > > Connection terminated.
    > > -------------

    > > Didnt solve my Problem with that LCP termination!

    > > Perhaps its related to authentification...the chap succeds but im
    > > using another username as my provider advises to do. Problem is that my
    > > provider wants "NO USERNAME AT ALL". How can i use "nothing" as
    > > username with the user option that pppd has?

    > You can't. Were you assigned real CHAP secret? If not then try using
    > "" as the CHAP secret but leave the `client' name the same.

    Ok. I tried that. Without any success. Output of pppd lokks just like
    above.

    > > When i leave the value for "user" empty in /etc/ppp/options, pppd fails
    > > complaining about:

    > > /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/options: too few parameters for option
    > > 'user'

    > Yes, and `user ""' causes pppd to reject CHAP LCP requests.
    >
    > > Do you have any further suggestions why this connection gets terminated?

    > If using "" as the secret doesn't work then try adding the pppd option
    > default-asyncmap and remove `asyncmap A0000'. It may be that the GPRS PPP
    > is similar to PPPOE and won't use any asyncmap other than the PPP default.
    > And yes, the remote host actually requests asyncmap a0000, but there was a
    > post recently on coln where the remote requested asyncmap 0, which pppd
    > accepted, with results similar to those here. It turned out that adding
    > default-asyncmap worked to get a viable connection.

    Ok. I tried default-asyncmap option. The Option itself works, but no
    change of my original problem. pppd Output is now:

    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 0x99618ede> ]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5 ]
    rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 ,
    name = ""]
    Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group
    access
    sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <79d4bbca7a9d45736ae9993a7457b391>, name = "
    "]
    rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    LCP terminated by peer
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    Connection terminated.

    > As I've remarked before, PPP implementations for GPRS are funky.

    I finally solved the Problem (TM) with changing the gprs provider. I
    sucessfully managed to get gprs connect up with T-Mobile Germany
    Simcards.
    Didnt manage to get it working with o2!

    Thanks for you help!

    --
    my Computer is so fast - it completes an infinite loop in 2min

  5. Re: pppd / gprs o2-de

    Rainer Rother wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote:

    >> As I've remarked before, PPP implementations for GPRS are funky.

    > I finally solved the Problem (TM) with changing the gprs provider. I
    > sucessfully managed to get gprs connect up with T-Mobile Germany
    > Simcards.
    > Didnt manage to get it working with o2!

    A wild guess would be that a Microsoft system can "authenticate" with
    MD5 CHAP and not provide a username, and o2 is using a broken RAS server
    to provide client IP addresses which can be configured to accept that.

    Anyway, FWIW, I think you made the right move. There's funky and then
    there's funky and broken.

    /* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
    * -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

+ Reply to Thread