Problem with Verizon Broadband wireless PPP connection - PPP

This is a discussion on Problem with Verizon Broadband wireless PPP connection - PPP ; Hi All, I have been unable to connect to Verizon via their high-speed CDMA 1xevdo service. The problem seems to be related to the ppp negotiation. I am running SuSE 8.2 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro running kernel 2.4.20-4GB. The ...

  1. Problem with Verizon Broadband wireless PPP connection

    Hi All,

    I have been unable to connect to Verizon via their high-speed CDMA
    1xevdo service. The problem seems
    to be related to the ppp negotiation. I am running SuSE 8.2 on a
    Toshiba Satellite Pro
    running kernel 2.4.20-4GB. The Verizon card is the AirPrime 5220 and I
    set it up sucessfully using the
    instructions at http://www.ka9q.net/5220.html.

    I have successfully connected at least three times, but most times,
    immediately after what seems to be
    a successful connect, I get a packet from Verizon requesting a
    disconnect. For example

    local IP address 166.180.55.131
    remote IP address 66.174.120.134
    primary DNS address 66.174.3.7
    secondary DNS address 66.174.6.7
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 7099)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 7099), status = 0x0
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    LCP terminated by peer
    cbcp_lowerdown
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 7160)
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 7160), status = 0x0
    Connection terminated.
    Connect time 0.3 minutes.
    Sent 145 bytes, received 106 bytes.

    Here is what the log looks like
    for a successful connection
    http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.good and here is what it
    looks like
    for an unsusccesful connection
    http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.bad. Lastly here are the
    connection settings http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.settings.

    I cannot figure out what the problem here is. Sadly
    when I contact Verizon, all they want to know is why I don't use their
    windoze software (which does work - I just don't want to use windoze).

    Any clues, greatfully accepted.

    Michael

  2. Re: Problem with Verizon Broadband wireless PPP connection

    OK. I found the problem is related to the asycmap settings.

    If I turn off the default setting

    asyncmap 0

    and turn on

    default-asyncmap

    I can reliably make a connection.

    The pppd documetnation says this is often necessary with ISDN
    services. This may not be the most efficient approach, so if someone
    knows better, just let me know. But at least it is working.

    Michael

    michael_hieb@celoso.net (Michael Hieb) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have been unable to connect to Verizon via their high-speed CDMA
    > 1xevdo service. The problem seems
    > to be related to the ppp negotiation. I am running SuSE 8.2 on a
    > Toshiba Satellite Pro
    > running kernel 2.4.20-4GB. The Verizon card is the AirPrime 5220 and I
    > set it up sucessfully using the
    > instructions at http://www.ka9q.net/5220.html.
    >
    > I have successfully connected at least three times, but most times,
    > immediately after what seems to be
    > a successful connect, I get a packet from Verizon requesting a
    > disconnect. For example
    >
    > local IP address 166.180.55.131
    > remote IP address 66.174.120.134
    > primary DNS address 66.174.3.7
    > secondary DNS address 66.174.6.7
    > Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 7099)
    > Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 7099), status = 0x0
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x5]
    > LCP terminated by peer
    > cbcp_lowerdown
    > Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 7160)
    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x5]
    > Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 7160), status = 0x0
    > Connection terminated.
    > Connect time 0.3 minutes.
    > Sent 145 bytes, received 106 bytes.
    >
    > Here is what the log looks like
    > for a successful connection
    > http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.good and here is what it
    > looks like
    > for an unsusccesful connection
    > http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.bad. Lastly here are the
    > connection settings http://www.celoso.net/pppd_verizon/ppp.1xevdo.settings.
    >
    > I cannot figure out what the problem here is. Sadly
    > when I contact Verizon, all they want to know is why I don't use their
    > windoze software (which does work - I just don't want to use windoze).
    >
    > Any clues, greatfully accepted.
    >
    > Michael

+ Reply to Thread