redhat 9 ppp problem - PPP

This is a discussion on redhat 9 ppp problem - PPP ; Hi all Can anyone help me with a ppp problem inside Redhat 9? I am Trying to create a dial-on-demand ppp connection to the internet on a standalone box. As far as I understand, all I need is the ppp ...

  1. redhat 9 ppp problem

    Hi all

    Can anyone help me with a ppp problem inside Redhat 9?

    I am Trying to create a dial-on-demand ppp connection to the internet
    on a standalone box. As far as I understand, all I need is the ppp rpm
    package installed.

    I have ppp-2.4.1-10 installed from redhat cd. The modem is an external USR
    56k.

    The problem: most of the time the connection is refused and the modem keeps
    on trying to redial. On the rare occasion that it does connect, it will not
    drop the line after the specified timeout.

    Anyone any ideas where I am going wrong?

    Thanks in advance

    Rob

    ---
    extract from pppd.log:

    Starting link
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 2
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]

    ---
    /etc/ppp/options:

    name << my isp username
    noipdefault
    ipcp-accept-remote
    ipcp-accept-local
    passive
    noauth
    defaultroute
    asyncmap 0
    demand
    10.1.1.1:10.1.1.2
    lock
    crtscts
    idle 60
    logfile /var/log/pppd.log
    debug
    modem
    holdoff 10
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0"

    ---
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:

    USERCTL=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Modem
    DEVICE=ppp0
    BOOTPROTO=dialup
    CCP=off
    PC=off
    AC=off
    BSDCOMP=on
    VJ=off
    VJCCOMP=off
    LINESPEED=57600
    MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
    IDLETIMEOUT=60
    DEFROUTE=yes
    PERSIST=no
    PAPNAME= << my isp username
    DEMAND=yes
    PASSIVE=yes
    NOIPDEFAULT=yes

    ---
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0:

    ABORT 'BUSY'
    ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
    '' ATZ
    OK ATE1M1V1X4L3S0=0Q0&C1&D2DT < CONNECT ""

  2. Re: redhat 9 ppp problem

    Rob Moore wrote:
    > Hi all

    > Can anyone help me with a ppp problem inside Redhat 9?

    > I am Trying to create a dial-on-demand ppp connection to the internet
    > on a standalone box. As far as I understand, all I need is the ppp rpm
    > package installed.

    > I have ppp-2.4.1-10 installed from redhat cd. The modem is an
    > external USR 56k.

    > The problem: most of the time the connection is refused and the
    > modem keeps on trying to redial. On the rare occasion that it does
    > connect, it will not drop the line after the specified timeout.

    Is it the modem-to-ISP serial connection that is refused?

    What is it that lets you conclude that "the connection is refused?"

    When it does connect can you access the Internet?

    > Starting link
    > Serial connection established.
    > using channel 2
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]

    No answer from the ISP. Usually that is caused by a misconfigured modem
    or device file, or by not using CONNECT \c instead of CONNECT "" in the
    chat configuration file. Not an all-inclusive list.

    > ---
    > /etc/ppp/options:

    > name << my isp username

    Hopefully there are entries for authentication to the ISP in
    /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets.

    > noipdefault
    > ipcp-accept-remote
    > ipcp-accept-local
    > passive
    > noauth
    > defaultroute
    > asyncmap 0
    > demand
    > 10.1.1.1:10.1.1.2
    > lock
    > crtscts
    > idle 60
    > logfile /var/log/pppd.log
    > debug

    You have the debug option so presumable syslogd is logging verbose PPP
    negotiation messages somewhere, complete with timestamps. Maybe in a
    file located in the /var/log directory; check /etc/syslog.conf to see
    what files are used for syslogd logs.

    > modem
    > holdoff 10
    > connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0"

    The -v option means that syslogd should be logging verbose chat messages
    somewhere, also with timestamps. An exact copy of these could help us
    identify a modem or serial device or device file problem.

    The outputs of "setserial -a /dev/ttyS0" could also be useful, as could
    the output of ifconfig when the connection is not refused.

    > ---
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:

    > USERCTL=no
    > PEERDNS=yes
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > TYPE=Modem
    > DEVICE=ppp0
    > BOOTPROTO=dialup
    > CCP=off
    > PC=off
    > AC=off

    The preceding two should usually be on.

    > BSDCOMP=on

    This is inconsistent with CCP=off. BSD compression is a CCP algorithm.

    > VJ=off
    > VJCCOMP=off

    These should usually be on.

    > LINESPEED=57600

    Usually 115200 is more appropriate.

    > MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
    > IDLETIMEOUT=60
    > DEFROUTE=yes
    > PERSIST=no

    This is inconsistent with the idle option and may well be the reason
    that the idle option does not work.

    > PAPNAME= << my isp username
    > DEMAND=yes
    > PASSIVE=yes
    > NOIPDEFAULT=yes

    > ---
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0:

    > ABORT 'BUSY'
    > ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
    > '' ATZ
    > OK ATE1M1V1X4L3S0=0Q0&C1&D2DT < > CONNECT ""

    Try replacing CONNECT "" with CONNECT \c .

  3. Re: redhat 9 ppp problem

    "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    > Rob Moore wrote:
    > > Hi all

    > Is it the modem-to-ISP serial connection that is refused?

    Hmm, good question that's what I am trying to ascertain

    > What is it that lets you conclude that "the connection is refused?"

    Yep, fair comment, it might not be "refused" as such, it just dont connect
    properly.

    > When it does connect can you access the Internet?

    Yes it does. The local dummy ip addresses are changed, /etc/resolv.conf is
    updated and
    traffic is working.

    > No answer from the ISP. Usually that is caused by a misconfigured modem
    > or device file, or by not using CONNECT \c instead of CONNECT "" in the
    > chat configuration file. Not an all-inclusive list.

    OK, stuck that in there to see, will report later.

    > Hopefully there are entries for authentication to the ISP in
    > /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets.

    Oops, forgot to state that /etc/ppp/pap-secrets is set correctly

    > > connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0"

    > The -v option means that syslogd should be logging verbose chat messages
    > somewhere, also with timestamps. An exact copy of these could help us
    > identify a modem or serial device or device file problem.

    > The outputs of "setserial -a /dev/ttyS0" could also be useful, as could
    > the output of ifconfig when the connection is not refused.

    OK, I can include those if required later.

    > > BSDCOMP=on

    > This is inconsistent with CCP=off. BSD compression is a CCP algorithm.

    Aha, my mistake.

    > > VJ=off
    > > VJCCOMP=off

    > These should usually be on.

    OK

    > > MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
    > > IDLETIMEOUT=60
    > > DEFROUTE=yes
    > > PERSIST=no

    > This is inconsistent with the idle option and may well be the reason
    > that the idle option does not work.

    Oh? I thought PERSIST=yes would force it to redial after a dropped
    connection,
    or do I have that wrong?

    Clifford thanks for the time you took to reply! Rob

  4. Re: redhat 9 ppp problem

    OK, the CONNECT \c makes the box connect EVERY time now thanks

    > Try adding the pppd option dryrun to see what options are actually
    > present. If idle is present then the PPP link is likely being kept up
    > by spurious inbound traffic. This can be avoided by configuring the
    > option active-filter option to allow only outbound traffic to reset
    > the idle timer. There are examples of active-filter configurations
    > at the web site in my signature.

    OK, I will look at that thanks.

    > One that is not there, but which I use, is
    >
    > active-filter '(outbound and not (icmp[0] = 0))'
    >
    > to prevent both inbound traffic and ping replies from my host from
    > resetting the idle timer.

    Thats a good idea. The box dialing IS sat on a network, but I have disabled
    ip forwarding and have squid running for a web proxy, so each of the three
    internal
    machines cannot access the internet directly.

    Once again, many thanks! Rob

+ Reply to Thread