server/client still not working - PPP

This is a discussion on server/client still not working - PPP ; my server client pair is still not working. I have tried several different configurations of ppp and chat and nothing seems to work. typical. My server debug log shows that pppd was started, but that is all that is written ...

  1. server/client still not working

    my server client pair is still not working. I have tried several
    different configurations of ppp and chat and nothing seems to work.
    typical.

    My server debug log shows that pppd was started, but that is all that
    is written to the debug files when I use AutoPPP.

    07:06:58 GNAT pppd[132]ppd 2.4.0 started by arcom, uid 0

    The Client gives a ton more debuggin information but not much seems
    relevant. The main problem that I can see is that right after it
    recieves CONNECT it sends \d which I thought meant that it should
    pause.

    I am using the command
    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    AT OK ATDT6068046 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    My debug log shows
    typical modem dialing and setup
    localhost chat[]:CONNECT
    localhost chat[]:--got it
    localhost chat[]: sent (\d)
    localhost chat[]: Serial Communication extabished
    localhost chat[]: using channel 2
    localhost chat[]: using interface ppp0
    localhost chat[]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    localhost chat[]: sent [LCP ConfReq ......]
    localhost chat[]: LCP timeout sending Conf requests
    localhost chat[]: Connection Terminated
    localhost chat[]: Recieve serial link not clean
    localhost chat[]: all had bit 7 set to 0
    localhost chat[]: Hangup

  2. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > The Client gives a ton more debuggin information but not much seems
    > relevant. The main problem that I can see is that right after it
    > recieves CONNECT it sends \d which I thought meant that it should
    > pause.

    It still means pause. "send (\d)" is how chat logs this event.

    I agree it's a little misleading.

    > localhost chat[]: Recieve serial link not clean
    > localhost chat[]: all had bit 7 set to 0

    This still most likely means that the peer isn't running PPP at all,
    but is rather sitting at a command line prompt.

    It's remotely possible that one side or the other (or one of the
    modems) is misconfigured for 7 data bits. That's rarely the case, but
    it would have the same symptoms.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: server/client still not working

    PullnOutHair wrote:

    > my server client pair is still not working. I have tried several
    > different configurations of ppp and chat and nothing seems to work.
    > typical.
    >
    > My server debug log shows that pppd was started, but that is all that
    > is written to the debug files when I use AutoPPP.
    >
    > 07:06:58 GNAT pppd[132]ppd 2.4.0 started by arcom, uid 0
    >

    > The Client gives a ton more debuggin information but not much seems
    > relevant. The main problem that I can see is that right after it
    > recieves CONNECT it sends \d which I thought meant that it should
    > pause.
    >
    > I am using the command
    > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    > AT OK ATDT6068046 CONNECT '\d\c'"
    >
    > My debug log shows
    > typical modem dialing and setup
    > localhost chat[]:CONNECT
    > localhost chat[]:--got it
    > localhost chat[]: sent (\d)
    > localhost chat[]: Serial Communication extabished

    Well, at least you've got modem-to-modem communications established. The
    chat script worked and now its up to pppd

    > localhost chat[]: using channel 2
    > localhost chat[]: using interface ppp0
    > localhost chat[]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > localhost chat[]: sent [LCP ConfReq ......]

    I can't believe that this is a capture of an actual session log. It appears
    edited to me (the process would be pppd[], not chat[], and the LCP ConfReq
    details aren't normally elided). Could you confirm that this /is/ what you log?

    > localhost chat[]: LCP timeout sending Conf requests
    > localhost chat[]: Connection Terminated
    > localhost chat[]: Recieve serial link not clean
    > localhost chat[]: all had bit 7 set to 0

    This says it all. Your pppd says that it never received data with bit 7 set
    to one, although the protocol requires it. This may mean that you've got an
    improperly configured serial connection (7N1 rather than 8N1 for instance),
    or the partner system isn't sending ppp (it's likely sending ASCII, as in
    "Login: ").

    Increase the log levels so that you see the data transfered, and see what's
    happening to cause the line not to be 8bit clean.

    > localhost chat[]: Hangup

  4. Re: server/client still not working

    Lew Pitcher writes:
    > This says it all. Your pppd says that it never received data with bit
    > 7 set to one, although the protocol requires it. This may mean that
    > you've got an improperly configured serial connection (7N1 rather than
    > 8N1 for instance), or the partner system isn't sending ppp (it's
    > likely sending ASCII, as in "Login: ").
    >
    > Increase the log levels so that you see the data transfered, and see
    > what's happening to cause the line not to be 8bit clean.

    Just a hint here: the pppd 'record' option creates a log of the data
    transferred and the pppdump utility will display this log.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  5. Re: server/client still not working

    > I can't believe that this is a capture of an actual session log. It appears
    > edited to me (the process would be pppd[], not chat[], and the LCP ConfReq
    > details aren't normally elided). Could you confirm that this /is/ what you log?

    Sorry, that is a problem with me having to type the log files in since
    I have no way to get them from the 2 machines. It does actually
    switch from chat to pppd after the serial connection is established.

    It does appear to be waiting at a login prompt on the server, but
    there is nothing other than mgetty respawning on this port and it is
    only setup to allow AutoPPP so I don't know where it is coming from.
    The only line I have in my login.config file for mgetty is the
    /AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug file
    /etc/ppp/options.serv

    In my options.serv file for ppp I have
    asyncmap 0
    lock
    proxyarp
    debug
    modem
    crtscts
    auth
    +chap

    So I guess that now the question is how do I get rid of the login
    prompt or how do I work around it. I figured this out by adding the
    record option to the pppd on the client side. If I add it on the
    server side it seems to generate trouble and lock my display so that I
    have to telnet back in again to keep doing any work. I have tried to
    dial in, login, and then start pppd (no AutoPPP) and this also didn't
    work. Both modems are configured to 8n1 data only no fax or voice.

    Thank you for the feedback and suggestions

  6. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > It does appear to be waiting at a login prompt on the server, but
    > there is nothing other than mgetty respawning on this port and it is
    > only setup to allow AutoPPP so I don't know where it is coming from.

    Any chance you have more than one thing actually running on that port?
    That almost sounds consistent with having two daemons running on a
    single port.

    If all else fails, you can put /usr/sbin/pppd in the inittab for that
    serial port instead of using mgetty. As long as the dial-in user is
    *only* going to use PPP, and will never want a regular text-mode
    connection, this would be far simpler and as near fool-proof as you
    can get.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  7. Re: server/client still not working

    So I will also need to keep the standard shell access and also have
    ppp. I need to have the ability to dial-in and have normal access as
    well as getting internet access. I played around with this some and
    it looks like I don't have 2 things running on this port. When I
    commented out the mgetty line in my inittab file there was no answer
    or login prompt given to me when I dialed in. This is how it should
    be. Then I added the mgetty line -- S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty
    ttyS1 -D /dev/ttyS1 -- back to the inittab file and once again I was
    able to get a login prompt, but this is configured for AutoPPP so I
    don't know what is going wrong. I think it is an mgetty problem but
    that is only because I am getting a login prompt when I haven't ever
    configured mgetty to provide a login prompt.

    mgettty files
    mgetty.conf
    port ttyS1
    speed 115200
    debug 5
    data-only y
    init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATS7=80S0=0E0Q0&D2&C1 OK

    login.conf
    /AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug file
    /etc/ppp/options.serv

    Then for my options.serv for ppp I have
    asyncmap 0
    record "/home/arcom/ppplog"
    lock
    proxyarp
    modem
    debug
    crtscts

    I don't really know what is causing the problem here but I always get
    that pppd was started on my server but my client shows an LCP timeout.
    The debug files are still the same from previous posts but now it is
    killing a child process when the connection script doesn't work.

  8. Re: server/client still not working

    Why would it not work if I turn off AutoPPP and force the client to
    login and type ppp to start pppd. I have defined an alias of ppp
    which runs exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. From what I understand this
    would start pppd and let it run. I don't care if AutoPPP doesn't
    work, I just need a reliable way for me to get access to the server.
    It seems like the setup I have should work but I am not 100% sure that
    mgetty was compiled with the -DATUO_PPP set. And honestly I am not
    sure how to even start recompiling this for my system since I am
    having to use a host system for compilation and then install the
    module on the actual embedded board that it will run on. I would
    almost prefer to force the user to login first so that I can use the
    login for added security to the pc. When I try to do this with manual
    ppp it still gives me timeouts on the LCP. What in the world am I
    doing wrong? is there a place to find people that will set this up as
    a contractor. I am in desprite need of getting this working before my
    project falls behind. Thank you for all of your help!!!!

  9. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]my server client pair is still not working. I have tried several
    ]different configurations of ppp and chat and nothing seems to work.
    ]typical.

    ]My server debug log shows that pppd was started, but that is all that
    ]is written to the debug files when I use AutoPPP.

    ]07:06:58 GNAT pppd[132]ppd 2.4.0 started by arcom, uid 0

    ]The Client gives a ton more debuggin information but not much seems
    ]relevant. The main problem that I can see is that right after it
    ]recieves CONNECT it sends \d which I thought meant that it should
    ]pause.
    For 1 sec.

    Uh, you do not know why things do not work. But you know what is
    relevant? Pls post the stuff.

    ]I am using the command
    ]/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    ]AT OK ATDT6068046 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    ]My debug log shows
    ]typical modem dialing and setup
    ]localhost chat[]:CONNECT
    ]localhost chat[]:--got it
    ]localhost chat[]: sent (\d)
    ]localhost chat[]: Serial Communication extabished
    ]localhost chat[]: using channel 2
    ]localhost chat[]: using interface ppp0
    ]localhost chat[]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    ]localhost chat[]: sent [LCP ConfReq ......]
    ]localhost chat[]: LCP timeout sending Conf requests
    ]localhost chat[]: Connection Terminated
    ]localhost chat[]: Recieve serial link not clean
    ]localhost chat[]: all had bit 7 set to 0
    ]localhost chat[]: Hangup

    That means that the far end is not replying, but is sending back text
    instead. Also this is not your debug log. That has a bunch of timing
    stuff as well. Pls include it. Do not send edited debug logs. You do not
    know what is relevant or not.

    Are you sure you are dialing the right machine?

    Now you say that this is a server? The aboe sure does NOT look like a
    server. Where is mgetty? Why are you using chat on a server? Maybe you
    need to give more info.

  10. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]> I can't believe that this is a capture of an actual session log. It appears
    ]> edited to me (the process would be pppd[], not chat[], and the LCP ConfReq
    ]> details aren't normally elided). Could you confirm that this /is/ what you log?
    ]>

    ]Sorry, that is a problem with me having to type the log files in since
    ]I have no way to get them from the 2 machines. It does actually
    ]switch from chat to pppd after the serial connection is established.

    Can;t you put in a floppy? Or a CDR?

    ]It does appear to be waiting at a login prompt on the server, but
    ]there is nothing other than mgetty respawning on this port and it is
    ]only setup to allow AutoPPP so I don't know where it is coming from.
    ]The only line I have in my login.config file for mgetty is the
    ]/AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug file

    sorry, which is the client and which the server? What happens in teh
    mgetty logs? Does it show that AutoPPP is starting?

    ]/etc/ppp/options.serv

    ]In my options.serv file for ppp I have
    ]asyncmap 0
    ]lock
    ]proxyarp
    ]debug
    ]modem
    ]crtscts
    ]auth
    ]+chap

    ]So I guess that now the question is how do I get rid of the login
    ]prompt or how do I work around it. I figured this out by adding the
    ]record option to the pppd on the client side. If I add it on the
    ]server side it seems to generate trouble and lock my display so that I
    ]have to telnet back in again to keep doing any work. I have tried to
    ]dial in, login, and then start pppd (no AutoPPP) and this also didn't
    ]work. Both modems are configured to 8n1 data only no fax or voice.

    Look at the mgetty logs (increase mgetty debugging to level 3 or lower).

    ]Thank you for the feedback and suggestions

  11. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]Why would it not work if I turn off AutoPPP and force the client to
    ]login and type ppp to start pppd. I have defined an alias of ppp
    ]which runs exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. From what I understand this
    ]would start pppd and let it run. I don't care if AutoPPP doesn't
    ]work, I just need a reliable way for me to get access to the server.

    AutoPPP works perfectly . I have used it for years.

    ]It seems like the setup I have should work but I am not 100% sure that
    ]mgetty was compiled with the -DATUO_PPP set. And honestly I am not

    Is it the distribution mgetty? If so then yes it was compiled with
    AutoPPP enabled.

    ]sure how to even start recompiling this for my system since I am
    ]having to use a host system for compilation and then install the
    ]module on the actual embedded board that it will run on. I would
    ]almost prefer to force the user to login first so that I can use the
    ]login for added security to the pc. When I try to do this with manual
    ]ppp it still gives me timeouts on the LCP. What in the world am I
    ]doing wrong? is there a place to find people that will set this up as
    ]a contractor. I am in desprite need of getting this working before my
    ]project falls behind. Thank you for all of your help!!!!

    Look at the mgetty logs. show us them here. Look at the ppp logs on both
    the server and the client and post them here. figure out a way of
    getting them off the machines so you can post the actual logs.

  12. Re: server/client still not working

[...]

    Make this debug 3

    ]data-only y
    ]init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATS7=80S0=0E0Q0&D2&C1 OK

    ]login.conf
    ]/AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug file
    ]/etc/ppp/options.serv

    From teh full login.conf file

    # This is the "standard" behaviour - *dont* set a userid or utmp
    # entry here, otherwise /bin/login will fail!
    # This entry isn't really necessary: if it's missing, the built-in
    # default will do exactly this.
    #
    * - - /bin/login @

    Note the reference to "default".

    Anyway, you need to figure out why mgetty is not seeing autoppp.

    ]Then for my options.serv for ppp I have
    ]asyncmap 0
    ]record "/home/arcom/ppplog"
    ]lock
    ]proxyarp
    ]modem
    ]debug
    ]crtscts

    ]I don't really know what is causing the problem here but I always get
    ]that pppd was started on my server but my client shows an LCP timeout.
    ] The debug files are still the same from previous posts but now it is
    ]killing a child process when the connection script doesn't work.

  13. Re: server/client still not working

    Ok so here are all the files from both the client and server that I am
    trying to get setup. Thanks for all your help. The time on the
    server is slightly ahead of the time on the client. Only by a few
    seconds though so it should be easy enough to understand. I am trying
    to get AutoPPP to work, but when I try to connect through minicom, I
    get a login prompt. After loggin in I run /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. If
    I do this in a normal shell I get the 10 pieces of garbage(LCP), but
    when through the modem connection I get nothing. I am not sure what
    is missing. I have been through many configurations of both the
    server and the client and they all seem to end up in the same place,
    nowhere. I have watched the permissions on ttyS1 and before starting
    pppd all users have read write access, but once pppd is instaniated
    only root has read/write access.

    CLIENT FILES
    OPTIONS
    lock
    crtscts
    debug

    PPP DEBUG LOG
    Feb 20 11:50:06 localhost pppd[4414]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid
    0
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: send (AT^M)
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: expect (OK)
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: ^M
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: OK
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: -- got it
    Feb 20 11:50:07 localhost chat[4415]: send (ATDT6068046^M)
    Feb 20 11:50:08 localhost chat[4415]: expect (CONNECT)
    Feb 20 11:50:08 localhost chat[4415]: ^M
    Feb 20 11:50:36 localhost chat[4415]: ^M
    Feb 20 11:50:36 localhost chat[4415]: CONNECT
    Feb 20 11:50:36 localhost chat[4415]: -- got it
    Feb 20 11:50:36 localhost chat[4415]: send (\d)
    Feb 20 11:50:37 localhost pppd[4414]: Serial connection established.
    Feb 20 11:50:37 localhost pppd[4414]: using channel 18
    Feb 20 11:50:37 localhost pppd[4414]: Using interface ppp0
    Feb 20 11:50:37 localhost pppd[4414]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    Feb 20 11:50:38 localhost pppd[4414]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    Feb 20 11:51:05 localhost last message repeated 9 times
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: LCP: timeout sending
    Config-Requests
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Connection terminated.
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
    clean:
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Exit.

    SERVER FILES
    MGETTY.CONFIG
    # set the global debug level to "1" (default from policy.h)
    debug 3
    # set the local fax station id
    #fax-id 49 115 xxxxxxxx
    # access the modem(s) at 115200 bit/s
    speed 115200
    # use these options to make the /dev/tty-device owned by "uucp.uucp"
    # and mode "rw-rw-r--" (0664). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
    port-owner root
    port-group root
    port-mode 0664
    # connects a cellular AnyData modem to ttyS1
    # Used for the nexgear remote monitor
    port ttyS1
    speed 115200
    debug 3
    data-only y
    init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATS7=80S0=0E0Q0&D2&C1 OK

    LOGIN.CONFIG
    /AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug

    //only relevant line
    S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D /dev/ttyS1 115200

    OPTIONS FILE
    debug
    crtscts
    asyncmap 0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    modem
    proxyarp
    lock

    MGETTY LOG FILE
    02/20 11:48:36 yS1 mgetty: official release 1.0.0
    02/20 11:48:37 yS1 WARNING: DSR is off - modem turned off or bad
    cable?
    02/20 11:50:39 yS1 WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    02/20 11:50:39 ##### data dev=ttyS1, pid=131, caller=none, conn='',
    name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

    PPP DEBUG LOG
    Feb 20 11:48:34 GNAT cardmgr[110]: watching 1 sockets
    Feb 20 11:48:34 GNAT cardmgr[111]: starting, version is 3.2.3
    Feb 20 11:48:35 GNAT inetd[115]: Online and ready (2 sockets)
    Feb 20 11:48:36 GNAT modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf.board is more
    recent than /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-arcom2-viper-2/modules.dep
    Feb 20 11:50:39 GNAT insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf.board is more
    recent than /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-arcom2-viper-2/modules.dep
    Feb 20 11:50:39 GNAT pppd[131]: pppd 2.4.0 started by arcom, uid 0

  14. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]Ok so here are all the files from both the client and server that I am
    ]trying to get setup. Thanks for all your help. The time on the
    ]server is slightly ahead of the time on the client. Only by a few
    ]seconds though so it should be easy enough to understand. I am trying
    ]to get AutoPPP to work, but when I try to connect through minicom, I

    You would. AutoPPP looks for the beginning of an LCP request packet
    IMMEDIATELY after the connection is made. If it sees anything else,
    AutoPPP does not work.

    ]get a login prompt. After loggin in I run /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. If
    ]I do this in a normal shell I get the 10 pieces of garbage(LCP), but
    ]when through the modem connection I get nothing. I am not sure what

    No idea how you are doing this. Nor exactly what you do.

    You cannot send anything, not a carriage return, not a space, not a
    breath, to the other machine if you want AutoPPP to work.

    ]is missing. I have been through many configurations of both the
    ]server and the client and they all seem to end up in the same place,
    ]nowhere. I have watched the permissions on ttyS1 and before starting
    ]pppd all users have read write access, but once pppd is instaniated
    ]only root has read/write access.

    Again, try
    www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    ]CLIENT FILES
    ]************************************************** *********************
[...]

    ] ]
    ]Feb 20 11:51:05 localhost last message repeated 9 times
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: LCP: timeout sending
    ]Config-Requests
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Connection terminated.
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
    ]clean:
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    ]Feb 20 11:51:08 localhost pppd[4414]: Exit.

    OK, that means that the other side sent back ascii stuff.

    ]SERVER FILES
    ]************************************************** *********************
    ]MGETTY.CONFIG
    ]# set the global debug level to "1" (default from policy.h)
    ]debug 3
    ]# set the local fax station id
    ]#fax-id 49 115 xxxxxxxx
    ]# access the modem(s) at 115200 bit/s
    ]speed 115200
    ]# use these options to make the /dev/tty-device owned by "uucp.uucp"
    ]# and mode "rw-rw-r--" (0664). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
    ]port-owner root
    ]port-group root
    ]port-mode 0664
    ]# connects a cellular AnyData modem to ttyS1
    ]# Used for the nexgear remote monitor
    ]port ttyS1
    ]speed 115200
    ]debug 3
    ]data-only y
    ]init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATS7=80S0=0E0Q0&D2&C1 OK

    ]LOGIN.CONFIG
    ]/AutoPPP/ - arcom /usr/sbin/pppd -detach debug

    ]//only relevant line
    ]S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D /dev/ttyS1 115200

    ]OPTIONS FILE
    ]debug
    ]crtscts
    ]asyncmap 0
    ]netmask 255.255.255.0
    Get rid of netmask. It makes no sense on a point to point connection.

    ]modem
    ]proxyarp
    ]lock

    ]MGETTY LOG FILE
    ]02/20 11:48:36 yS1 mgetty: official release 1.0.0
    ]02/20 11:48:37 yS1 WARNING: DSR is off - modem turned off or bad
    ]cable?
    ]02/20 11:50:39 yS1 WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    ]02/20 11:50:39 ##### data dev=ttyS1, pid=131, caller=none, conn='',
    ]name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

    Fine, it found autoppp.

    ]PPP DEBUG LOG
    ]Feb 20 11:48:34 GNAT cardmgr[110]: watching 1 sockets
    ]Feb 20 11:48:34 GNAT cardmgr[111]: starting, version is 3.2.3
    ]Feb 20 11:48:35 GNAT inetd[115]: Online and ready (2 sockets)
    ]Feb 20 11:48:36 GNAT modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf.board is more
    ]recent than /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-arcom2-viper-2/modules.dep
    ]Feb 20 11:50:39 GNAT insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf.board is more
    ]recent than /lib/modules/2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-arcom2-viper-2/modules.dep
    ]Feb 20 11:50:39 GNAT pppd[131]: pppd 2.4.0 started by arcom, uid 0

    It looks to me like you do not have debug enabled on this machine. This
    is the out put of /var/log/messages I think. Enable ppp debugging with
    the debug options and with
    daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/daemonlog
    in /etc/syslog.conf and then doing
    killall -1 syslogd.

    Why in the world are you using pppd 2.4.0? It was buggy. Use 2.4.1

  15. Re: server/client still not working

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message You would. AutoPPP looks for the beginning of an LCP request packet
    > IMMEDIATELY after the connection is made. If it sees anything else,
    > AutoPPP does not work.

    When I am actually trying to get a ppp connection I don't send
    anything. I am using the exact dial-string to get negotiations
    started as described in your ppp how-to.

    > ]get a login prompt. After loggin in I run /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. If
    > ]I do this in a normal shell I get the 10 pieces of garbage(LCP), but
    > ]when through the modem connection I get nothing. I am not sure what
    >
    > No idea how you are doing this. Nor exactly what you do.

    I am just concerned that there are no communications coming from the
    server. If I disable AutoPPP an call the server with minicom. I can
    login and then start pppd with /usr/sbin/pppd -detach. I was doing
    this to test and see if I could even see anything coming across the
    port to start or negotiate ppp connections.

    > You cannot send anything, not a carriage return, not a space, not a
    > breath, to the other machine if you want AutoPPP to work.

    I am not normally. I normally just use '\d\c' at the end of my
    connection to wait for LCP to start, but then I get loopback, all bit
    7's are set to 0, or timeout on my communications depending on my
    commandline options.

    > Again, try
    > www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    I have been looking at this for my client, but I believe that the
    problem is serverside and this doesn't give any server data.

    > ]CLIENT FILES
    > ]************************************************** *********************
    >
    > OK, that means that the other side sent back ascii stuff.

    There is a login prompt when I dial in, but the AutoPPP should
    override this and start pppd so what could be doing the ascii?

    > ]SERVER FILES
    > ]************************************************** *********************
    >
    > ]02/20 11:50:39 yS1 WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    > ]02/20 11:50:39 ##### data dev=ttyS1, pid=131, caller=none, conn='',
    > ]name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'
    >
    > Fine, it found autoppp.
    > >

    > It looks to me like you do not have debug enabled on this machine. This
    > is the out put of /var/log/messages I think. Enable ppp debugging with
    > the debug options and with
    > daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/daemonlog
    > in /etc/syslog.conf and then doing
    > killall -1 syslogd.

    This is with these options set in syslog.conf. The debug option is
    enables. I am not sure why this is all that is sent to the ppplog,,
    but I have the debugging options setup the same on both machines.

    > Why in the world are you using pppd 2.4.0? It was buggy. Use 2.4.1

    I am using 2.4.0 because I can't get 2.4.1 compiled and installed on
    my embedded board. The configure and make options for building and
    installing on a host/build system are not available.

  16. Re: server/client still not working

    Alright, with everyones help I have finally been able to make a ppp
    connection using AutoPPP, but now I can't access anything beyond my
    ppp server. I have just gone back and made sure that ip forwarding is
    enabled. I can ping my server but nothing beyond that.

  17. Re: server/client still not working

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > Alright, with everyones help I have finally been able to make a ppp
    > connection using AutoPPP, but now I can't access anything beyond my
    > ppp server. I have just gone back and made sure that ip forwarding is
    > enabled. I can ping my server but nothing beyond that.

    Sounds like the routes are possibly wrong, or that there are packet
    filters in place.

    Note that you need to have routes all the way out to your intended
    destination *and* back. It's usually that "and back" part that's
    missing.

    For example, if you have a system that looks like this:

    HostA <--PPP--> Server <--Ether--> Router <--WAN--> ISP

    then the following routes are needed:

    Server:
    - a route for HostA pointing to the PPP link
    - a route for the rest of the world (probably a default route)
    pointing to Router over Ether link.

    Router:
    - a route for HostA pointing to Server over Ether link
    - a route for the rest of the world pointing to ISP over WAN

    ISP:
    - a route for HostA pointing to Router over WAN link

    .... and so on. If the rest of the world doesn't know which basic
    direction to send a packet to get back to HostA (plus or minus any
    summarization done), then it'll just never get there.

    Is the address you're using for this remote system one that was given
    to you by your ISP? If not, then you'll probably want to use NAT
    (yecch!) or switch to using routable addresses.

    Is the problem just with some local systems that are past "Server"?
    In that case, you should find some way to teach those local systems
    exactly how to reach HostA (i.e., that they must use Server as a
    next-hop router). A routing protocol, such as RIP-2 or OSPFv2, is one
    way to do that.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  18. Re: server/client still not working

    James Carlson wrote in message news:...
    Thank you all for your help and ideas. This is finally working for
    ppp so now it is off to diald and firewalls. Thank you again. This
    message board was truely instrumental in getting this to work.

    Robert Clippard
    Embedded Systems Engineer

+ Reply to Thread