Why does nothing other than manual pppd work? - PPP

This is a discussion on Why does nothing other than manual pppd work? - PPP ; I wrote "Help me with PPP dialup". I managed to get connected to the internet with pppd manually. What I would LOVE to know is why things like KPPP or KInternet do not work. A status indicator and control would ...

  1. Why does nothing other than manual pppd work?

    I wrote "Help me with PPP dialup". I managed to get connected to the
    internet with pppd manually. What I would LOVE to know is why things
    like KPPP or KInternet do not work. A status indicator and control
    would be highly appreciated. I do not pass anything to pppd that KPPP
    does not. Here is my pppd string:

    pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user connect
    "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"

    Why can KPPP not handle something that simple? It is going to drive
    me crazy!

    Iguanaman

  2. Re: Why does nothing other than manual pppd work?

    Iguanaman writes:

    ]I wrote "Help me with PPP dialup". I managed to get connected to the
    ]internet with pppd manually. What I would LOVE to know is why things
    ]like KPPP or KInternet do not work. A status indicator and control
    ]would be highly appreciated. I do not pass anything to pppd that KPPP
    ]does not. Here is my pppd string:

    ]pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user connect
    ]"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"

    ]Why can KPPP not handle something that simple? It is going to drive
    ]me crazy!

    And so you are trying to drive us crazy. HOw in the world can we answer
    this question?
    And why do you not just put the required stuff into a shell file and run
    it? Call it P so you only have to type one letter. Far easier than using
    a GUI icon.

  3. Re: Why does nothing other than manual pppd work?

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:05:05 +0000 (UTC), unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca
    (Bill Unruh) wrote:

    >And so you are trying to drive us crazy. HOw in the world can we answer
    >this question?
    >And why do you not just put the required stuff into a shell file and run
    >it? Call it P so you only have to type one letter. Far easier than using
    >a GUI icon.

    Well, I wrote a script, but it is kind of hard to tell whether I am
    connected or not. That is the main reason I want to use something
    that can continually show me the status. Other than that it is not
    all that important to me. If I can find nothing, no problem. I am
    just spoiled by the MS Windoze world where there is an icon all of the
    time you are connected!

    Iguanaman

  4. Re: Why does nothing other than manual pppd work?

    Iguanaman writes:
    > Well, I wrote a script, but it is kind of hard to tell whether I am
    > connected or not. That is the main reason I want to use something
    > that can continually show me the status. Other than that it is not
    > all that important to me. If I can find nothing, no problem. I am
    > just spoiled by the MS Windoze world where there is an icon all of the
    > time you are connected!

    I've done such things in the past by mucking about with
    /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down} scripts. I don't think it's really worth it,
    though.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  5. Re: Why does nothing other than manual pppd work?

    In , on 01/16/2004
    at 04:15 PM, Iguanaman said:

    >I am just spoiled by the MS Windoze world where there is an icon
    >all of the time you are connected!

    You mean like that icon KDE displays on my SUSE system? The one that
    shows whether I am disconnected, connecting or connected?

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve
    the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

    Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do
    not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread