ppp: No buffer space available - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp: No buffer space available - PPP ; Hi folks, Not sure where this problem is coming from but maybe somebody here can give me some advice or point me in the right direction: I just got a new Athlon 2500 system and installed redhat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) ...

  1. ppp: No buffer space available

    Hi folks,

    Not sure where this problem is coming from but maybe somebody here can give
    me some advice or point me in the right direction:

    I just got a new Athlon 2500 system and installed redhat 9.0 (kernel
    2.4.20-8) on a clean 80 GB disk. I installed basically everything. The
    system came supplied with a DSE XH1154 Int HaM v2 so-called Winmodem using
    the intel 536ep chipset.Before I go out and buy a real modem I thought i'd
    just try to get this thing running since it was in the box and had linux
    drivers supplied. Well, i've installed the drivers (536ep.o and 536epcore.o)
    and I can connect to my ISP. I can ping servers and do host lookups, but
    when I try to run a browser, the connection seems to send data out but never
    receive anything back. Ping also stops working but local network connections
    through eth0 are ok. Any pings running out over ppp then report

    ping: sendmesg: No buffer space available.

    I tried turning off iptables with a service iptables stop and also checked
    the /etc/hosts.allow file which contains ALL:ALL (for the moment). The
    resolv.conf entries are ok and if I have not started a browser I can ping
    the server that's been placed in there by the connection process.

    I notice that a depmod -e on the 536epcore.o file gives a screed of
    unresolved symbols - but being unfamiliar with modules (on my list of
    things to learn) I'm not sure if this indicates a problem with the driver or
    whether they are resolved by the kernel.

    Any ideas what might cause this? Besides buying a real modem!

    many thanks for any help

    al

  2. Re: ppp: No buffer space available

    "Alistair Clethero" writes:
    [...]
    > ping: sendmesg: No buffer space available.

    [...]
    > Any ideas what might cause this? Besides buying a real modem!

    That sounds like an output flow control problem, which may well be a
    result of not having a real modem.

    If the software modem insists on doing in-band (XON/XOFF) flow
    control, then setting "asyncmap 0xa0000" or even "default-asyncmap"
    may help. It probably won't, though.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group