Server/Client co-development? - PPP

This is a discussion on Server/Client co-development? - PPP ; Ok, So what was working last week by default didn't work this morning when I got back. Right now I am trying to get a server setup so that I can call in from home and access the internet. I ...

  1. Server/Client co-development?

    Ok, So what was working last week by default didn't work this morning
    when I got back. Right now I am trying to get a server setup so that
    I can call in from home and access the internet. I want to do all
    this using linux and ppp since I have several linux boxes at work and
    one at home. The problem is nothing works with ppp and the
    documentation is update challanged. Another problem is that I am
    building both the server and the client so which one is working and
    which one isn't? So the skinny...

    My Server files.
    first with mgetty+sendfax

    mgetty.config
    debug 5
    speed 115200
    port-owner robert
    port-group robert
    port-mode 0664
    port ttyS1
    data-only y
    init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\dATS7=80S0=1E0Q0&D2&C1S0=1 OK
    answer-chat "" ATA CONNECT \c \r
    login-prompt @:login:

    login.config
    /AutoPPP/ - robert /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.serv
    * - - /bin/login @

    dialin.config
    all

    Now for the PPP files
    chap-secrets and pap-secrets
    #client server secret IP addresses
    robert * "robert" *

    options
    debug
    asyncmap 0
    modem
    proxyarp
    lock

    options.serv
    /dev/ttyS1
    115200
    default-asyncmap
    debug
    modem
    crtscts
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    ipcp-accept-local
    ipcp-accept-remote
    10.0.0.174: //this is my ip on my network at work
    auth
    +chap

    options.ttyS1
    10.0.0.174:10.0.0.172

    inittab
    S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -x7 -D /dev/ttyS1

    Server Log Files For Debugging
    ......typical modem dial and setup.....
    looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 155)
    tio_set_flow_control( HARD )
    getlogname (AutoPPP), read:arcom[0d]
    input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
    tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DTR
    WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    login: use login config file //etc/mgetty_sendfax/login.config
    match: user='robert', key=''
    match: user='robert', key=''
    match: user='robert', key=''
    match: user='robert', key=''
    match: user='robert', key=''
    match: user='robert', key='*'***hit!
    calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'

    setenv: 'CALLER_ID=none'
    setenv: 'CONNECT='

    Now for the client, I initiate right now on the command line because
    as the how-to's read, first manual then automate so from the command
    line I launch pppd with... (The modem is now on ttyS0)

    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    AT OK ATE0 OK ATDTxxxxxxx CONNECT"

    I have tried this with the '\d\r' after connect but it seems to make
    no difference right now.

    chap and pap-secrets files
    #client server secret IP Addresses
    "robert" * "AutoPPP" *

    options file
    lockctsrts
    defaultroute
    debug

    The Log files show
    ...typical modem setup and call...
    Serial Connection established
    using channel 26
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <__>/dev/ttyS0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    last message repeated 9 times
    LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Connection terminated
    Hangup (SIGHUP)
    Exit.

    And then I scratch my head....

    Any help is greatly appriciated, I have been working on this for way
    to long and it is really starting to make me dislike linux and ppp
    networking. I think that once I get the connection established I can
    figure out how to get it to function right but this is giving me
    absolutly no help as far as debugging information. I am hoping that
    someone with ppp experience can see the error of my inexperience.

  2. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

[...]

    Get rid of this. You do NOT want an answer chat and especially you do
    NOT want tosend anything after connect. This will destroy the AutoPPP.

    ] login-prompt @:login:

    get rid of this. YOu DO NOT want any login stuff.

    ]login.config
    ] /AutoPPP/ - robert /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.serv
    ] * - - /bin/login @

    Who is robert?
    What is in /etc/ppp/options.serv? Why not just put them into the command
    line so you know what they are when you read this file?

    ]dialin.config
    ] all

    No idea what this is.

    ]Now for the PPP files
    ]chap-secrets and pap-secrets
    ] #client server secret IP addresses
    ] robert * "robert" *

    ]options
    ] debug
    ] asyncmap 0
    ] modem
    ] proxyarp
    ] lock

    ]options.serv
    ] /dev/ttyS1

    No. mgetty opens pppd and attaches it to its own stdin/out which is the
    /dev/ttyS1. YOu do not want this in here

    ] 115200

    Nor this.

    ] default-asyncmap

    asyncmap 0

    ] debug
    ] modem
    ] crtscts
    ] netmask 255.255.255.0

    Netmask makes no sense whatsoever. Get rid of it.

    ] ipcp-accept-local
    ] ipcp-accept-remote

    This is the server? Why are you putting these above in here?

    ] 10.0.0.174: //this is my ip on my network at work
    ] auth
    ] +chap

    ]options.ttyS1
    ] 10.0.0.174:10.0.0.172

    ???? Why not put it into your options.serv

    ]inittab
    ] S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -x7 -D /dev/ttyS1

    ]Server Log Files For Debugging
    ] ......typical modem dial and setup.....
    ] looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 155)
    ] tio_set_flow_control( HARD )
    ] getlogname (AutoPPP), read:arcom[0d]
    ] input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
    ] tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DTR
    ] WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    ] login: use login config file //etc/mgetty_sendfax/login.config
    ] match: user='robert', key=''
    ] match: user='robert', key=''
    ] match: user='robert', key=''
    ] match: user='robert', key=''
    ] match: user='robert', key=''
    ] match: user='robert', key='*'***hit!
    ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'

    Yes, you have destroyed the AutoPPP.

    ] setenv: 'CALLER_ID=none'
    ] setenv: 'CONNECT='

    ]Now for the client, I initiate right now on the command line because
    ]as the how-to's read, first manual then automate so from the command
    ]line I launch pppd with... (The modem is now on ttyS0)

    ]/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    ]AT OK ATE0 OK ATDTxxxxxxx CONNECT"

    ]I have tried this with the '\d\r' after connect but it seems to make
    ]no difference right now.

    \d\r?

    ]chap and pap-secrets files
    ] #client server secret IP Addresses
    ] "robert" * "AutoPPP" *

    ]options file
    ] lockctsrts
    ] defaultroute
    ] debug

    ]The Log files show
    ] ...typical modem setup and call...
    ] Serial Connection established
    ] using channel 26
    ] Using interface ppp0
    ] Connect: ppp0 <__>/dev/ttyS0
    ] sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]]
    ] last message repeated 9 times
    ] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

    Because the far end is sitting there waiting for a login.

    ] Connection terminated
    ] Hangup (SIGHUP)
    ] Exit.

    ]And then I scratch my head....

    Hope the above helped.

    ]Any help is greatly appriciated, I have been working on this for way
    ]to long and it is really starting to make me dislike linux and ppp
    ]networking. I think that once I get the connection established I can
    ]figure out how to get it to function right but this is giving me
    ]absolutly no help as far as debugging information. I am hoping that
    ]someone with ppp experience can see the error of my inexperience.

    You are trying to be far far far too fancy. KISS.

  3. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...

    > ]login.config
    > ] /AutoPPP/ - robert /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.serv
    > ] * - - /bin/login @
    >
    > Who is robert?
    > What is in /etc/ppp/options.serv? Why not just put them into the command
    > line so you know what they are when you read this file?

    robert is me, I am the only user that I want to have access to the ppp
    connection.

    > ]dialin.config
    > ] all
    >
    > No idea what this is.

    This file limits what phone numbers can call in to the server. right
    now the default is to all since I am still trying to get it working

    > ]Server Log Files For Debugging
    > ] ......typical modem dial and setup.....
    > ] looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 155)
    > ] tio_set_flow_control( HARD )
    > ] getlogname (AutoPPP), read:arcom[0d]
    > ] input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
    > ] tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DTR
    > ] WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    > ] login: use login config file //etc/mgetty_sendfax/login.config
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key='*'***hit!
    > ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    > ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    > ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'
    >
    > Yes, you have destroyed the AutoPPP.

    How can you tell from this? I am still getting the same error after
    making the changes.

    > \d\r?

    Some people have said that in some cases there needs to be a \d\r
    after the expect connect so that you send a return to get to autoppp

    > ]The Log files show
    > ] ...typical modem setup and call...
    > ] Serial Connection established
    > ] using channel 26
    > ] Using interface ppp0
    > ] Connect: ppp0 <__>/dev/ttyS0
    > ] sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]]
    > ] last message repeated 9 times
    > ] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    >
    > Because the far end is sitting there waiting for a login.

    This is still the error data that is being dumped to my log file.

  4. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    > ]Server Log Files For Debugging
    > ] ......typical modem dial and setup.....
    > ] looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 155)
    > ] tio_set_flow_control( HARD )
    > ] getlogname (AutoPPP), read:arcom[0d]
    > ] input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
    > ] tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DTR
    > ] WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    > ] login: use login config file //etc/mgetty_sendfax/login.config
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ] match: user='robert', key='*'***hit!
    > ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    > ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    > ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'

    So I made the changes and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and
    then figured out that the hub was locked up and that was bringing down
    my pc. but with it all back up and running I now get the same LCP
    timeout but now I am getting a new error on the client and new stuff
    on the server also.

    Now on the client I get
    Recieve serial link is not 8-bit clean
    Problem all had bit 7 set to 0

    But on the Server I actually get
    calling login: cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', argv[]='pppd file
    /etc/ppp/options.serv'
    data dev=ttyS1, pid=134, caller=none,
    conn='',name='',cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

    I believe that this puts me closer to a solution, but I am not done
    yet.

  5. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > > ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    > > ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    > > ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    The peer is running /bin/login (the "login:" prompt). It's *NOT*
    running PPP. PPP isn't going to work here.

    > So I made the changes and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and

    Rebooting should just never be necessary. This isn't Windows.

    > then figured out that the hub was locked up and that was bringing down
    > my pc. but with it all back up and running I now get the same LCP
    > timeout but now I am getting a new error on the client and new stuff
    > on the server also.
    >
    > Now on the client I get
    > Recieve serial link is not 8-bit clean
    > Problem all had bit 7 set to 0

    Right. Both are symptoms of the same problem: the peer isn't running
    PPP.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  6. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    James Carlson wrote:
    > dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    [...]
    >> So I made the changes and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and

    > Rebooting should just never be necessary. This isn't Windows.

    I don't know how serious you are being James. But it's not necessary there
    either. I can't think of the last time I rebooted here (Windows 2000) to
    change some setting, and never have with anything to do with PPP.

    This case may be illustrative. If a user is new to the system and is trying
    multiple changes or doesn't have the knowledge to effect a configuration
    change, then a reboot will often do what's required, whether on Windows or
    Linux. A knowledgeable user of either system will not need to reboot.
    --
    Alan J. McFarlane
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alanjmcf/

  7. Re: Server/Client co-development?

[...]

    Interesting.
    There are two possible reasons for this. The first is that the remote
    end is sending ascii text .
    The second is that your modem or serial line is misconfigured. It MST be
    8 bit connection (eg 8 bit no parity).

    ]But on the Server I actually get
    ]calling login: cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', argv[]='pppd file
    ]/etc/ppp/options.serv'
    ]data dev=ttyS1, pid=134, caller=none,
    ]conn='',name='',cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

    This would indicate that the ppp LCP from the client was received and
    triggered the AutoPPP. That means that your ppp should have started and
    sent out LCP requests. What are the ppp logs on your server saying?

    If it is sending out LCP and also claiming "not 8 bit clean" then I
    suspect your serial port/modem setup.

  8. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    ]unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    ]> ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    ]> ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    ]> ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'
    ]>
    ]> Yes, you have destroyed the AutoPPP.

    ]How can you tell from this? I am still getting the same error after
    ]making the changes.

    because mgetty is using the "login" line and not the AutoPPP line.

    ]> \d\r?
    ]Some people have said that in some cases there needs to be a \d\r
    ]after the expect connect so that you send a return to get to autoppp

    NONONONO. You must NOT send anything -- ppp must immediately start
    sending LCP requests -- in order to get autoppp. That nothing includes
    any sort of return, linefeed, carriage return, etc.

    You want \d\c (\d= 1 sec pause, \c= do not send a carriage return)
    ]> ]The Log files show
    ]> ] ...typical modem setup and call...
    ]> ] Serial Connection established
    ]> ] using channel 26
    ]> ] Using interface ppp0
    ]> ] Connect: ppp0 <__>/dev/ttyS0
    ]> ] sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]> ]]
    ]> ] last message repeated 9 times
    ]> ] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    ]>
    ]> Because the far end is sitting there waiting for a login.
    ]>
    ]This is still the error data that is being dumped to my log file.

  9. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    >
    > ]> ]Server Log Files For Debugging
    > ]> ] ......typical modem dial and setup.....
    > ]> ] looking for utmp entry... (my PID: 155)
    > ]> ] tio_set_flow_control( HARD )
    > ]> ] getlogname (AutoPPP), read:arcom[0d]
    > ]> ] input finished with '\r', setting ICRNL ONLCR
    > ]> ] tio_get_rs232_lines: status: RTS CTS DTR
    > ]> ] WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!
    > ]> ] login: use login config file //etc/mgetty_sendfax/login.config
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key=''
    > ]> ] match: user='robert', key='*'***hit!
    > ]> ] calling login: cmd='/bin/login', argv[]='login robert'
    > ]> ] #####data dev=ttyS1, pid=155, caller=none, conn='', name='',
    > ]> ]cmd='/bin/login', user='robert'
    >

    > ]So I made the changes and rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted, and
    > ]then figured out that the hub was locked up and that was bringing down
    > ]my pc. but with it all back up and running I now get the same LCP
    > ]timeout but now I am getting a new error on the client and new stuff
    > ]on the server also.

    Yes you should be able to do anything without rebooting, but when
    the ppp link / modem is your only way in, sometimes you get locked out
    and have to reboot. This server has no display, or input devices only
    serial and usb ports.

    > ]Now on the client I get
    > ]Recieve serial link is not 8-bit clean
    > ]Problem all had bit 7 set to 0
    > Interesting.
    > There are two possible reasons for this. The first is that the remote
    > end is sending ascii text .
    > The second is that your modem or serial line is misconfigured. It MST be
    > 8 bit connection (eg 8 bit no parity).
    >
    > ]But on the Server I actually get
    > ]calling login: cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', argv[]='pppd file
    > ]/etc/ppp/options.serv'
    > ]data dev=ttyS1, pid=134, caller=none,
    > ]conn='',name='',cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'
    >
    > This would indicate that the ppp LCP from the client was received and
    > triggered the AutoPPP. That means that your ppp should have started and
    > sent out LCP requests. What are the ppp logs on your server saying?

    The only debugging information that the server gives is that it has
    recieved the AutoPPP request and that pppd has started, there is not
    other information logged. I have modified everything to include the
    debug option and set things up in the syslog.conf to log to
    /var/log/ppp. It seems to me like the ppp server is getting lost as
    to its roll and not generating any LCP. I tried removing the AutoPPP
    option so that the users would have to log in and get a shell prompt.
    Then they could start ppp by entering ppp on the command line. This
    command works when I telnet into the server ( I get the garbage
    charcters which I expect are the LCP request/response). When I try to
    do the same thing through minicom I don't get any garbage output to
    the screen, but I think this is because mgetty has locked the port to
    allow me to get a shell login. When I tried this my log file showed
    several attempts to start pppd but the port was always locked. I am
    at a loss as to what else to try. It seems like most of what I have
    done should have worked, but since I am doing it nothing works. Seems
    like 2004 might be a year of hardware rather than software for me.

    Thank you for all your help even though a few posts on this thread are
    just a waste of time as people express personal crap that should be
    out in one of the none technical boards.

    > If it is sending out LCP and also claiming "not 8 bit clean" then I
    > suspect your serial port/modem setup.

  10. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    > ]> \d\r?
    > ]Some people have said that in some cases there needs to be a \d\r
    > ]after the expect connect so that you send a return to get to autoppp

    > NONONONO. You must NOT send anything -- ppp must immediately start
    > sending LCP requests -- in order to get autoppp. That nothing includes
    > any sort of return, linefeed, carriage return, etc.

    > You want \d\c (\d= 1 sec pause, \c= do not send a carriage return)

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I wonder whether the OP noticed this.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"

  11. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    Clifford Kite wrote in message news:...
    > Bill Unruh wrote:
    > > dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:

    > > ]> \d\r?
    > > ]Some people have said that in some cases there needs to be a \d\r
    > > ]after the expect connect so that you send a return to get to autoppp

    Sorry the \d\r was a typo I really did mean \d\c, and I have put it
    back into my connection.

    I do get AutoPPP to start on the server and ppp is running on the
    client, but there are no LCP messages comming from the server. I
    continually get a timeout on the LCP setup. If I turn off AutoPPP and
    try doing this with a shell prompt and manual ppp startup then
    everything starts and once again there are no LCP messages coming from
    the server. I am almost 100% sure that my problem lies in the server
    but I can't find much on setting these up. Even the books that I have
    mention changing a few simple things and it should work but there I
    nothing for when it hits the fan and nothing works.

  12. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    dirtytoyota@hotmail.com (PullnOutHair) writes:
    > I do get AutoPPP to start on the server and ppp is running on the
    > client, but there are no LCP messages comming from the server. I
    > continually get a timeout on the LCP setup. If I turn off AutoPPP and
    > try doing this with a shell prompt and manual ppp startup then
    > everything starts and once again there are no LCP messages coming from
    > the server. I am almost 100% sure that my problem lies in the server
    > but I can't find much on setting these up. Even the books that I have
    > mention changing a few simple things and it should work but there I
    > nothing for when it hits the fan and nothing works.

    Please post debug logs.

    What you're describing *sounds* like an AutoPPP failure that's caused
    by something that the client's chat script is doing, but without
    details it's simply impossible to tell.

    The typical cause is that the client is emitting a carriage return at
    some point after receiving the CONNECT message, and this triggers the
    server to switch into /bin/login rather than /usr/bin/pppd.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  13. Re: Server/Client co-development?

    There is not much to show on the debug logs. AutoPPP starts ppp on
    the server and that is it for serverside debug. There is not even a
    using interface ppp0 line or anything. The process isn't killed
    though because after every failed attempt I have to manually shutdown
    pppd on the server with killall pppd. On the client I keep getting
    the same PPP crap that it encounters timeout when sending LCP confreq.
    I just don't want to keep posting the same debug files here over and
    over. I can't post from my PPP machines because they don't have
    anyway to access the message board so I have to post from my laptop.
    I am not really interested in entering log files character by
    character when it always says the same thing. Sorry for my attitude
    in this post, but I am sick of PPP and linux. I am not a network or
    linux developer and I got saddled with this because I am the most
    qualified to figure it out. I would rather be designing hardware or
    writing code than dealing with software that is buggy to say the
    least. Thank you all for your help and ideas on solving this problem.

+ Reply to Thread