Well I managed to connect to the internet! - PPP

This is a discussion on Well I managed to connect to the internet! - PPP ; Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line like this: /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''" The only problem is that it does not set the default route automatically, ...

  1. Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    like this:
    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"

    The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    scautly work:

    route add default ppp0

    That does not bother me too much, but I want it to do it
    automatically. Thanks for all your help!

    Iguanaman

  2. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:40:42 -0500, Iguanaman wrote:

    > Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    > like this:
    > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    > "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"
    >
    > The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    > automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    > scautly work:
    >
    > route add default ppp0
    >
    > That does not bother me too much, but I want it to do it
    > automatically. Thanks for all your help!
    >
    > Iguanaman

    Good work!

    Why don't you just put all that in a script?

    #!/bin/sh

    /usr/sbin.....

    while true do;

    if /sbin/ifconfig | grep 'ppp0' &> /dev/null ; then

    # check and see if your ppp interface is up, and if it is:

    route add......

    exit 0

    else continue; fi; done

    # if it isn't, check again until it is

    (may need some tweaking, but I use one almost identical to it for the
    same purpose)

    Call it ppu (or my_nifty_internet_connection_script :-), run chmod +rx on it
    and put it in /usr/local/bin.

    Then you can just enter ppu at the prompt and it's done.

    $type ppu

    will tell you whether the string is taken for a function, script, application,
    variable or alias...

    AC

  3. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Connor wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:40:42 -0500, Iguanaman wrote:
    > >
    > > Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    > > like this:
    > > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    > > "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"
    > >
    > > The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    > > automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    > > scautly work:
    > >
    > > route add default ppp0

    [..]

    > Why don't you just put all that in a script?

    While this should of course work, why not just read the fine
    manual 'man pppd' and add 'defaultroute' to your options file?

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

  4. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:24:53 +0100, Michael Heiming wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Connor wrote:
    >> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:40:42 -0500, Iguanaman wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    >> > like this:
    >> > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    >> > "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"
    >> >
    >> > The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    >> > automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    >> > scautly work:
    >> >
    >> > route add default ppp0

    > [..]
    >
    >> Why don't you just put all that in a script?

    > While this should of course work, why not just read the fine
    > manual 'man pppd' and add 'defaultroute' to your options file?

    Certainly a better idea, Michael.

    AC

  5. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    Michael Heiming wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Connor wrote:
    >> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:40:42 -0500, Iguanaman
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    >> > like this:
    >> > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    >> > "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"
    >> >
    >> > The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    >> > automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    >> > scautly work:
    >> >
    >> > route add default ppp0

    > [..]
    >
    >> Why don't you just put all that in a script?

    > While this should of course work, why not just read the fine
    > manual 'man pppd' and add 'defaultroute' to your options file?

    That would clearly be too easy, and besides this gives him an excuse to
    write another script :P

  6. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:00:19 GMT, Baho Utot wrote:

    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Connor wrote:

    >> [..]
    >>
    >>> Why don't you just put all that in a script?

    >> While this should of course work, why not just read the fine
    >> manual 'man pppd' and add 'defaultroute' to your options file?
    >>

    > That would clearly be too easy, and besides this gives him an excuse to
    > write another script :P

    He's talking to the OP, for one....

    And this is from MY response to the OP:

    (may need some tweaking, but I use one almost identical to it for the
    same purpose)

    So, my question for you, idiot, is: Who operates your computer for you?

    I'll bet you DO run around with your tongue hanging out of your mouth!

    AC

  7. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    Iguanaman wrote:

    > I managed to connect to the internet

    We noticed. ;-)

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  8. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    On Friday, in article

    iggyman25@hotmail.com "Iguanaman" wrote:

    > Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    > like this:
    > /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    > "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"

    > The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    > automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    > scautly work:

    > route add default ppp0

    If you use the keyword "defaultroute" pppd will assume the default route
    if one doesn't already exist. (If one does, you will still have to
    manually add the ppp route, and optionally delete the original.)
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  9. Re: Well I managed to connect to the internet!

    Iguanaman writes:

    ]Many thanks, I managed to connect to the internet using a pppd line
    ]like this:
    ]/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug user dwlee connect
    ]"/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDT5472107 CONNECT''"

    ]The only problem is that it does not set the default route
    ]automatically, so I have to enter this line to make the internet
    ]scautly work:

    a) make sure that there is no default route when ppp starts up. Most
    distros set up a default route on any ethernet card on the system.
    Eitehr remove it (eg put route del default at the end of rc.local) or
    set up the ethernet so that the default route is not set up.
    b) make sure you have
    defaultroute
    in /etc/ppp/options.

+ Reply to Thread