Help me with the PPP dialup!!! - PPP

This is a discussion on Help me with the PPP dialup!!! - PPP ; >I am using SuSE Linux 9.0. I made sure all of the files are correct, >with the correct entries, hopefully! ;-). I can almost never connect >with KInternet, KPPP, or even pppd at the konsole. One time when I >tried ...

  1. Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    >I am using SuSE Linux 9.0. I made sure all of the files are correct,
    >with the correct entries, hopefully! ;-). I can almost never connect
    >with KInternet, KPPP, or even pppd at the konsole. One time when I
    >tried pppd at the konsole it managed to connect with PPP, but I could
    >not send any information over the internet. I could ping the server's
    >P address and my own IP address, but I could not ping the DNS
    >erver's IP address. My IP was 12.10.53.90, the server was
    >2.10.53.248, and the DNS address is 12.10.53.2. I have attached all
    >of the linux configuration files. I have lived in the Wintel world
    >for years, the internet is the only thing stopping me from switching
    >to the Lintel world! ;-P. Thanks in advance. You can reply here, or
    >you can reply to iggyman@iguanawa.net TTYL!!

    >Iguanaman

    Sorry about posting all of the files as attachments, here I go again.
    BTW, I did kill the default route 0.0.0.0, and I also followed the
    "How to Hook Up PPP In Linux", but it still did not work! Sorry about
    all of the trouble! Sorry AC!

    lock
    asyncmap 0
    crtscts
    modem
    noipdefault
    updetach
    defaultroute
    usepeerdns
    noauth

    only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:

    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]

    nsswitch.conf:

    passwd: compat
    group: compat

    hosts: files dns
    networks: files dns

    services: files
    protocols: files
    rpc: files
    ethers: files
    netmasks: files
    netgroup: files
    publickey: files

    bootparams: files
    automount: files nis
    aliases: files

    host.conf:

    order hosts, bind
    multi on

    resolv.conf:

    nameserver 12.10.53.2
    nameserver 12.127.16.68
    domain dwlee

  2. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    Iguanaman writes:

    I don't see the "debug" option here.

    > only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:
    >
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    I'm not sure what you mean by "makes any sense." Is that the complete
    output or not? If it is, then the peer isn't running PPP at all.
    That usually means that the serial line is broken, the chat script
    failed, the modem is misconfigured, or the peer requires some extra
    hand-holding to get PPP started.

    Did the PPP interface come up at all (as seen in netstat)? If so,
    then that's really quite inconsistent with the debug logs you're
    showing.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    In comp.protocols.ppp Iguanaman wrote:

    > Sorry about posting all of the files as attachments, here I go again.
    > BTW, I did kill the default route 0.0.0.0, and I also followed the
    > "How to Hook Up PPP In Linux", but it still did not work! Sorry about
    > all of the trouble! Sorry AC!

    AC doesn't post here much. Thankfully. I took the liberty of removing
    the cross-post and follow-up to coln.

    > lock
    > asyncmap 0
    > crtscts
    > modem
    > noipdefault
    > updetach
    > defaultroute
    > usepeerdns
    > noauth

    No "debug" option?

    > only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:

    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    I don't see how you could get this without the debug option. This also
    came to standard output as a result of the updetach option; actual logs
    are better. And if the line above is present then, with the debug option
    there should have been more.

    Opinions as to the best way to get a good log vary but the recipe in
    my signature will work. Cut-and-paste, and post it all, including
    timestamps. Use the pppd debug option and get whatever messages you
    can from the kppp dialer frontend to pppd. If you have something
    that uses chat then use chat -v.

    It would be a also good idea to do a cut-and-paste of the outputs of
    ifconfig and route -n and post them.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* Recipe for a unified PPP debug log file: Add the line
    " local2.*;*.=debug;*.=notice /var/log/ppp-debug.log "
    to /etc/syslog.conf, and do " kill -HUP `pidof syslogd` "
    so that syslogd rereads it. */

  4. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:58:38 -0500, Iguanaman wrote:

    >>I am using SuSE Linux 9.0. I made sure all of the files are correct,
    >>with the correct entries, hopefully! ;-). I can almost never connect
    >>with KInternet, KPPP, or even pppd at the konsole. One time when I
    >>tried pppd at the konsole it managed to connect with PPP, but I could
    >>not send any information over the internet. I could ping the server's
    >>P address and my own IP address, but I could not ping the DNS
    >>erver's IP address. My IP was 12.10.53.90, the server was
    >>2.10.53.248, and the DNS address is 12.10.53.2. I have attached all
    >>of the linux configuration files. I have lived in the Wintel world
    >>for years, the internet is the only thing stopping me from switching
    >>to the Lintel world! ;-P. Thanks in advance. You can reply here, or
    >>you can reply to iggyman@iguanawa.net TTYL!!

    >>Iguanaman

    > Sorry about posting all of the files as attachments, here I go again.
    > BTW, I did kill the default route 0.0.0.0, and I also followed the
    > "How to Hook Up PPP In Linux", but it still did not work! Sorry about
    > all of the trouble! Sorry AC!

    No big deal. And the apology goes to the Usenet, not me personally.

    You have an external or internal hardware modem, I gather?

    > lock
    > asyncmap 0
    > crtscts
    > modem
    > noipdefault
    > updetach

    ^ I don't use this one, but not sure whether you need it or not.
    > defaultroute
    > usepeerdns

    ^ don't see the need for that with your resolv.conf in good shape

    > noauth

    Try adding these two lines:

    lcp-echo-interval 30

    lcp-echo-failure 4

    hide-password

    wouldn't hurt either...

    > only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:
    >
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >]

    Now how about your chatscript?
    /etc/ppp/peers/provider on Debian

    /var/log/syslog...

    Does /sbin/ifconfig show your ppp interface up when you are trying
    to connect?

    This would be easier if you were to do the configuration from a plain
    tty and bring in X et al later....

    All that K* stuff is muddying the waters...

    Where is Bill Unruh?

    AC

  5. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:45:50 -0600, Clifford Kite wrote:

    > In comp.protocols.ppp Iguanaman wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry about posting all of the files as attachments, here I go again.
    >> BTW, I did kill the default route 0.0.0.0, and I also followed the
    >> "How to Hook Up PPP In Linux", but it still did not work! Sorry about
    >> all of the trouble! Sorry AC!

    > AC doesn't post here much. Thankfully. I took the liberty of removing
    > the cross-post and follow-up to coln.

    Now there's a real intelligent statement.

    NO ONE posts much on comp.protocols.ppp

    (10 whole posts since the 3rd of January, not counting spam, and that's
    a busy week for cpp)

    Perhaps it would be more popular if its most prominent denizen wasn't a
    ****ing *stupid* troll named Clifford Kite?

    AC

  6. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:58:41 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    >Try adding these two lines:
    >
    >lcp-echo-interval 30
    >
    >lcp-echo-failure 4

    That line made pppd very unhappy (i.e. it broke it!) so I removed it.

    >hide-password
    >
    >wouldn't hurt either...

    The only person who even knows my password is me, and I am the only
    one who even regularly uses my PC. My father plays games, but even if
    he knew my password, it wouldn't matter!

    >> only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:
    >>
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >>]

    >Now how about your chatscript?
    >/etc/ppp/peers/provider on Debian

    It would help if I had one! My ISP starts the PPP login immediately,
    so I specify the username on the pppd commabd line!

    >/var/log/syslog...
    >
    >Does /sbin/ifconfig show your ppp interface up when you are trying
    >to connect?

    Nope :-(

    >This would be easier if you were to do the configuration from a plain
    >tty and bring in X et al later....
    >
    >All that K* stuff is muddying the waters...

    Well I just tried it from a non-X session, still no worky!

    >Where is Bill Unruh?

    He might know ;-)

    >AC

  7. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    Iguanaman writes:

    ]Sorry about posting all of the files as attachments, here I go again.
    ]BTW, I did kill the default route 0.0.0.0, and I also followed the
    ]"How to Hook Up PPP In Linux", but it still did not work! Sorry about
    ]all of the trouble! Sorry AC!

    ]lock
    ]asyncmap 0
    ]crtscts
    ]modem
    ]noipdefault
    ]updetach
    ]defaultroute
    ]usepeerdns
    ]noauth

    ]only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:

    ]sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]]

    You do not know why it does not work. Thus you do not know which line of
    the ppp log makes sense of it or not.
    Post the complete log of a session, as reported by syslog (eg in
    /var/log/ppplog) including all of th times etc.
    The above line is NOT a problem.

    You said that you did manage to hook up to the remote machine, and that
    you could ping the remote machine. If that is true, then ppp works. The
    problem is not in ppp. The ONLY purpose of ppp is to make a connection
    with the remote machine. That is it. If that works, then ppp works, and
    the problem lies elsewhere.

    a) Post a complete ppp log of a session
    b) post the output of the command
    ifconfig -a
    c) post the output of the command
    route -n
    d) post the content of the file /etc/resolv.conf

    These will give us something to work with.

    ]nameserver 12.10.53.2
    ]nameserver 12.127.16.68
    ]domain dwlee

    12.10.53.2 does not respond to pings from here. WHere did you get that
    address from?

  8. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    Iguanaman writes:

    ]On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:58:41 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    ]>Try adding these two lines:
    ]>
    ]>lcp-echo-interval 30
    ]>
    ]>lcp-echo-failure 4

    lcp-echo will not help here.

    ]That line made pppd very unhappy (i.e. it broke it!) so I removed it.

    Not sure what you mean by "broke it"
    What version of pppd are you using?

    ]>
    ]>hide-password

    That is now the default anyway
    The suggestion is not to hide the password from your father, but that
    when you post the log of a complete session, everyone in the world does
    not discover your password.

    ]>
    ]>wouldn't hurt either...
    ]It would help if I had one! My ISP starts the PPP login immediately,
    ]so I specify the username on the pppd commabd line!

    Good. that is fine.
    However you probably still have a chat script in order to tell the
    system to dial the phone to your ISP etc. Did you follow all of the
    steps in "How to hook up ppp"? Or did you assume that some steps did not
    apply to you and thus you could skip them?

    ]>>>>>> Why don't you post a full session from an attempt to connect from
    ]>/var/log/syslog...
    ]>
    ]Well I just tried it from a non-X session, still no worky!

    it? What do you mean by it? What did you try?
    Remember we can not read your mind, and we do not have your experience.
    The only clues we have to the problem come from what you post.

    ]>Where is Bill Unruh?

    In Vancouver, Canada.

  9. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    Alan Connor writes:

[...]

    Oh, come off it. Kite is the person here who has helped the most people
    get connected. Lets try to keep personal flames out of this group at
    least.

  10. Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:36:33 -0500, Iguanaman wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:58:41 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    >>Try adding these two lines:
    >>
    >>lcp-echo-interval 30
    >>
    >>lcp-echo-failure 4

    > That line made pppd very unhappy (i.e. it broke it!) so I removed it.

    You have to use them both, but I am not at all sure they will help. Just
    what I am doing here.

    >>hide-password
    >>
    >>wouldn't hurt either...
    >>

    > The only person who even knows my password is me, and I am the only
    > one who even regularly uses my PC. My father plays games, but even if
    > he knew my password, it wouldn't matter!

    It also helps to hide your passwd from crackers, I believe, which was what
    *I* was thinking.

    >>> only line out of PPP log that makes any sense about the problem:
    >>>
    >>> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >>>]

    >>Now how about your chatscript?
    >>/etc/ppp/peers/provider on Debian
    >>

    > It would help if I had one! My ISP starts the PPP login immediately,
    > so I specify the username on the pppd commabd line!

    Weird.

    >>/var/log/syslog...
    >>
    >>Does /sbin/ifconfig show your ppp interface up when you are trying
    >>to connect?
    >>

    > Nope :-(

    No ppp[0-9] interface? That's not possible given what you've posted in other
    articles here.

    >>This would be easier if you were to do the configuration from a plain
    >>tty and bring in X et al later....
    >>
    >>All that K* stuff is muddying the waters...
    >>

    > Well I just tried it from a non-X session, still no worky!

    I meant to start re-configuring your connection from the ground up
    from there.

    Bill Unruh is really good at that sort of thing.

    We'll get it working, never-you-fear.

    AC

+ Reply to Thread