Problems dialing in with PPP (0/4) - PPP

This is a discussion on Problems dialing in with PPP (0/4) - PPP ; I am using SuSE Linux 9.0. I made sure all of the files are correct, with the correct entries, hopefully! ;-). I can almost never connect with KInternet, KPPP, or even pppd at the konsole. One time when I tried ...

  1. Problems dialing in with PPP (0/4)

    I am using SuSE Linux 9.0. I made sure all of the files are correct,
    with the correct entries, hopefully! ;-). I can almost never connect
    with KInternet, KPPP, or even pppd at the konsole. One time when I
    tried pppd at the konsole it managed to connect with PPP, but I could
    not send any information over the internet. I could ping the server's
    IP address and my own IP address, but I could not ping the DNS
    server's IP address. My IP was 12.10.53.90, the server was
    12.10.53.248, and the DNS address is 12.10.53.2. I have attached all
    of the linux configuration files. I have lived in the Wintel world
    for years, the internet is the only thing stopping me from switching
    to the Lintel world! ;-P. Thanks in advance. You can reply here, or
    you can reply to iggyman@iguanawa.net TTYL!!

    Iguanaman

  2. Re: Problems dialing in with PPP (0/4)

    Iguanaman writes:
    > not send any information over the internet. I could ping the server's
    > IP address and my own IP address, but I could not ping the DNS
    > server's IP address.

    Sounds like you're missing the "defaultroute" option *or* your system
    has a bogus default route installed before pppd is started.

    Debug log messages would be nice to see.

    > 12.10.53.248, and the DNS address is 12.10.53.2. I have attached all
    > of the linux configuration files. I have lived in the Wintel world

    I have no idea how those were "attached." I saw some follow-up posts,
    but they appear to be garbled.

    Is there any way you can just post plain text?

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group