Dificulties debugging pppd conection - PPP

This is a discussion on Dificulties debugging pppd conection - PPP ; Hello, I am trying to debug my pppd connection but I dont know how due to the followings problems: -First of all I am using pppd 2.3.8 over ucLinux. In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages ...

  1. Dificulties debugging pppd conection

    Hello, I am trying to debug my pppd connection but I dont know how due
    to the followings problems:

    -First of all I am using pppd 2.3.8 over ucLinux.

    In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages
    archive, but I am working in a read only file system, excepts a folder
    which is writeable, so pppd doesnt write in any log.
    So I did "man pppd" and read it searching for a way to print on screen
    the error logs. I didnt find it but I found a "logfile" option.
    Perfect, I tried "logfile stdout", "logfile /jffs2/pppd_log"
    and....... option not valid!
    I dont know if 2.3.8 doesnt support it or maybe the pppd version of
    uclinux is not entire...

    Yes, I would like to update my pppd version, but it is dificult having
    to compile it for uclinux, so

    could anyone give any clue of how to print/redirect the pppd debug
    information? (expect(OK), sent magic number and these kinds of
    things...)

    Lot of thanks!

    Jorge

  2. Re: Dificulties debugging pppd conection

    Jorge writes:

    ]Hello, I am trying to debug my pppd connection but I dont know how due
    ]to the followings problems:

    ]-First of all I am using pppd 2.3.8 over ucLinux.

    ]In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages
    ]archive, but I am working in a read only file system, excepts a folder
    ]which is writeable, so pppd doesnt write in any log.

    Why not put the output in /etc/syslog.conf to debug.* in that writable
    folder?
    daemon.* /the/folder/that/is/writable/daemon

    ]So I did "man pppd" and read it searching for a way to print on screen
    ]the error logs. I didnt find it but I found a "logfile" option.
    ]Perfect, I tried "logfile stdout", "logfile /jffs2/pppd_log"
    stdout is not a file. man pppd

    logfd n
    Send log messages to file descriptor n. Pppd will send log mes-
    sages to at most one file or file descriptor (as well as sending
    the log messages to syslog), so this option and the logfile
    option are mutually exclusive. The default is for pppd to send
    log messages to stdout (file descriptor 1), unless the serial
    port is already open on stdout.

    ]and....... option not valid!
    ]I dont know if 2.3.8 doesnt support it or maybe the pppd version of
    ]uclinux is not entire... could be.

    ]Yes, I would like to update my pppd version, but it is dificult having
    ]to compile it for uclinux, so

    ]could anyone give any clue of how to print/redirect the pppd debug
    ]information? (expect(OK), sent magic number and these kinds of
    ]things...)

    expect OK is part of chat, not part of pppd. Use chat -v -s

    ]Lot of thanks!

    ]Jorge

  3. Re: Dificulties debugging pppd conection

    Jorge writes:
    > -First of all I am using pppd 2.3.8 over ucLinux.

    An oldie ...

    > In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages
    > archive, but I am working in a read only file system, excepts a folder
    > which is writeable, so pppd doesnt write in any log.

    OK. As long as you're not using stdin/stdout for PPP (common when
    your Linux machine is a PPP dial-in server, not otherwise), all you
    have to do is specify "updetach" or "nodetach," and the log messages
    will be printed to stdout.

    > could anyone give any clue of how to print/redirect the pppd debug
    > information? (expect(OK), sent magic number and these kinds of
    > things...)

    "expect(OK)" comes out of chat, which is a separate program.
    Nevertheless, if you set "updetach" in pppd and the "-vs" flags with
    chat, you should get the chat error messages on pppd's stderr output.

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  4. Re: Dificulties debugging pppd conection

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 06:16:52 +0000 (UTC), unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca
    (Bill Unruh) wrote:

    >]In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages
    >]archive, but I am working in a read only file system, excepts a folder
    >]which is writeable, so pppd doesnt write in any log.
    >
    >Why not put the output in /etc/syslog.conf to debug.* in that writable
    >folder?
    >daemon.* /the/folder/that/is/writable/daemon

    Thanks. I didnt know how to do it, but i have learnt it. Lot of
    thanks.
    (In fact I didnt have syslogd in my system.This was the main problem.)

    >logfd n

    Also option not valid But it doesnt matters, since i now can see it
    through the syslog

    Bye

  5. Re: Dificulties debugging pppd conection

    On 08 Jan 2004 06:41:23 -0500, James Carlson
    wrote:

    >Jorge writes:
    >> -First of all I am using pppd 2.3.8 over ucLinux.

    >An oldie ...

    I have not achieved to compile a newer for uClinux, but I will
    continue trying...

    >> In normal linux I used to debug pppd reading the /var/log/messages
    >> archive, but I am working in a read only file system, excepts a folder
    >> which is writeable, so pppd doesnt write in any log.

    >OK. As long as you're not using stdin/stdout for PPP (common when
    >your Linux machine is a PPP dial-in server, not otherwise), all you
    >have to do is specify "updetach" or "nodetach," and the log messages
    >will be printed to stdout.

    Hum, this didnt work for me. It doesnt matter, because i have achieved
    to create the log messages

    Jorge

+ Reply to Thread