ppp0 inet address is local every other time - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp0 inet address is local every other time - PPP ; Hello, I can connect to my isp everytime; BUT every other time, ifconfig shows the inet address to be my local eth0 address (192.168.1.1) even though the P-t-P: address will be a valid ip assigned by my isp via dhcp. ...

  1. ppp0 inet address is local every other time

    Hello,
    I can connect to my isp everytime; BUT every other time, ifconfig shows
    the inet address to be my local eth0 address (192.168.1.1) even though
    the P-t-P: address will be a valid ip assigned by my isp via dhcp.

    If I hang up and reactivate ppp0, the second time I will get a valid
    router ip in the inet address to go with my assigned ip.

    There used to be an option to ignore the local dns service while ppp0
    was active and i had it checked (but that didn't help).

    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks, J.May

  2. Re: ppp0 inet address is local every other time

    James May writes:
    > I can connect to my isp everytime; BUT every other time, ifconfig
    > shows the inet address to be my local eth0 address (192.168.1.1) even
    > though the P-t-P: address will be a valid ip assigned by my isp via
    > dhcp.

    Debug logs, configuration information, and cut-n-copy command output
    are really helpful. Descriptions of what happens are somewhat less
    so.

    Are you using 'noipdefault' in your configuration? If not, you likely
    should be.

    > There used to be an option to ignore the local dns service while ppp0
    > was active and i had it checked (but that didn't help).

    No, there's no such option as a standard part of pppd. But there is
    (and has been for quite some time) a 'usepeerdns' option -- this will
    place the addresses of any peer DNS servers (found through RFC 1877)
    in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. What you do with those addresses is up to
    you, though; the pppd package doesn't do anything special with them.

    One *possible* usage is to create a symlink like this:

    # rm -f /etc/resolv.conf
    # ln -s /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

    --
    James Carlson, IP Systems Group

  3. Re: ppp0 inet address is local every other time

    Hello,
    Thank you very much! Placing noipdefault and usepeerdns in the
    /etc/ppp/options file fixed the problem. The only option that was in
    there was lock.

    You have saved me a great deal of aggravation (modem handshakes tend to
    be long in this rural area).

    (primary and secondary dns servers were always placed in
    /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/resolv.conf even when the problem occured).

    You have been very helpful.

    Regards, James May

    James Carlson wrote:
    > James May writes:
    >
    >>I can connect to my isp everytime; BUT every other time, ifconfig
    >>shows the inet address to be my local eth0 address (192.168.1.1) even
    >>though the P-t-P: address will be a valid ip assigned by my isp via
    >>dhcp.

    > Debug logs, configuration information, and cut-n-copy command output
    > are really helpful. Descriptions of what happens are somewhat less
    > so.
    >
    > Are you using 'noipdefault' in your configuration? If not, you likely
    > should be.
    >

    >>There used to be an option to ignore the local dns service while ppp0
    >>was active and i had it checked (but that didn't help).

    > No, there's no such option as a standard part of pppd. But there is
    > (and has been for quite some time) a 'usepeerdns' option -- this will
    > place the addresses of any peer DNS servers (found through RFC 1877)
    > in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. What you do with those addresses is up to
    > you, though; the pppd package doesn't do anything special with them.
    >
    > One *possible* usage is to create a symlink like this:
    >
    > # rm -f /etc/resolv.conf
    > # ln -s /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

+ Reply to Thread