please help get WVDIAL to work w/o Username - PPP

This is a discussion on please help get WVDIAL to work w/o Username - PPP ; I wonder if someone can help me. I've been trying everything I can think of to make mvdial connect without a username & password. I have specific need to do this. I can leave the Username & Password blank in ...

  1. please help get WVDIAL to work w/o Username

    I wonder if someone can help me.

    I've been trying everything I can think of to make mvdial connect
    without a username & password. I have specific need to do this. I can
    leave the Username & Password blank in Windoze DUN and it dials up OK
    but not with my beloved linux. I have even tried KPPP but it also asks
    for a username/password when I want to use CHAP.

    I can't understand why I can do what I could easily do with Windoze
    DUN, that will still dial-up without a username/password.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: please help get WVDIAL to work w/o Username

    webmaster@elken.com (Chumpmeister) writes:

    ]I wonder if someone can help me.

    ]I've been trying everything I can think of to make mvdial connect
    ]without a username & password. I have specific need to do this. I can
    ]leave the Username & Password blank in Windoze DUN and it dials up OK
    ]but not with my beloved linux. I have even tried KPPP but it also asks
    ]for a username/password when I want to use CHAP.

    ]I can't understand why I can do what I could easily do with Windoze
    ]DUN, that will still dial-up without a username/password.

    Just click the button that says not to use login, but rather to directly
    use chap/pap. Also make sure that you enter the chap entry into
    /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
    (format
    username * password *
    )
    Now it may be that the remote side demands login. then there is nothing
    you can do.

  3. Re: please help get WVDIAL to work w/o Username

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > webmaster@elken.com (Chumpmeister) writes:
    >
    > ]I wonder if someone can help me.
    >
    > ]I've been trying everything I can think of to make mvdial connect
    > ]without a username & password. I have specific need to do this. I can
    > ]leave the Username & Password blank in Windoze DUN and it dials up OK
    > ]but not with my beloved linux. I have even tried KPPP but it also asks
    > ]for a username/password when I want to use CHAP.
    >
    > ]I can't understand why I can do what I could easily do with Windoze
    > ]DUN, that will still dial-up without a username/password.
    >

    > Just click the button that says not to use login, but rather to directly
    > use chap/pap. Also make sure that you enter the chap entry into
    > /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
    > (format
    > username * password *
    > )
    > Now it may be that the remote side demands login. then there is nothing
    > you can do.

    Bill,

    I'm not following what you're saying. Are you talking about a button
    in KPPP or WVDIAL? I use WVDIAL from a command prompt in RH9 and
    aren't aware of any buttons in KPPP as you have described.

    Currently I use Windoze dial up networking and am able to connect to
    my source (via modem) using no username or password. I'm trying to do
    the same with either KPPP or WVDIAL... but neither will let me.
    What I'm trying to do is

+ Reply to Thread