no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd - PPP

This is a discussion on no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd - PPP ; hi, i try to setup a poptop server on redhat 9 (latest) with kernel 2.4.20-20.9smp. so i installed all rpms (incl. kernel-mppe and ppp2.4.2) from poptop howto and made kernelmod.sh. i have to nics, one internal lan and one with ...

  1. no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd

    hi,

    i try to setup a poptop server on redhat 9 (latest) with kernel
    2.4.20-20.9smp.
    so i installed all rpms (incl. kernel-mppe and ppp2.4.2) from poptop
    howto and made kernelmod.sh.
    i have to nics, one internal lan and one with permanent adsl
    connection and public ip.

    all went well.
    now when i start the pptpd service on redhat server, it starts, no
    errors in debugmode, but ifconfig never establishes a ppp0 interface.
    so when i start the vpn from winxp client i get error 721 that server
    isn't responding.

    thats clear, because on the server there is no ppp0 link established.

    can someone tell me what i am missing that i don't get a ppp0
    interface started?

    Regards, Wolf

  2. Re: no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd

    Wolf-D. Perl wrote:

    > i try to setup a poptop server on redhat 9 (latest) with kernel
    > 2.4.20-20.9smp. so i installed all rpms (incl. kernel-mppe and
    > ppp2.4.2) from poptop howto and made kernelmod.sh. i have to
    > nics, one internal lan and one with permanent adsl connection and
    > public ip.

    > all went well. now when i start the pptpd service on redhat server,
    > it starts, no errors in debugmode, but ifconfig never establishes
    > a ppp0 interface. so when i start the vpn from winxp client i get
    > error 721 that server isn't responding.

    > thats clear, because on the server there is no ppp0 link established.

    > can someone tell me what i am missing that i don't get a ppp0
    > interface started?

    Very likely no one can tell you what's wrong at this point. You need
    to post more information. Adding the pppd debug option and posting an
    exact copy (not a hand-copy) of the PPP link negotiation messages logged,
    including timestamps, would likely be the best way to begin.

    /* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.
    * It _has_ to be */

  3. Re: no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd

    Clifford Kite wrote in message
    > Very likely no one can tell you what's wrong at this point. You need
    > to post more information. Adding the pppd debug option and posting an
    > exact copy (not a hand-copy) of the PPP link negotiation messages logged,
    > including timestamps, would likely be the best way to begin.

    it was only the "silent" option in the options.ppptpd file which i had
    to comment out.
    now it's working fine.

    regards, wolf

  4. Re: no ppp0 interface after starting pptpd

    Wolf-D. Perl wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote in message
    >> Very likely no one can tell you what's wrong at this point. You need
    >> to post more information. Adding the pppd debug option and posting an
    >> exact copy (not a hand-copy) of the PPP link negotiation messages logged,
    >> including timestamps, would likely be the best way to begin.

    > it was only the "silent" option in the options.ppptpd file which i had
    > to comment out.
    > now it's working fine.

    That certainly would do it if the other side is also "silent" until
    receiving PPP negotiation messages. :-)

    /* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
    * -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

+ Reply to Thread